1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Wit And Humor Of Dhamu

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dhamu has been my friend for over 50 years. I have several friends who have been with me for 50 years but why do I mention Dhamu specially, you may ask me and I would have said, ‘A good question’. I am a guy who never fails to appreciate a good question particularly when I have no answer for it. I call Dhamu an enigma because all his friends including the undersigned consider him so. What is so mysterious about him? The main reason for it is that he has always remained beyond the spectrum of our understanding.

In the initial stages we rated him as merely jovial but when he made statements like ‘only a dog will be born to a dog, not a cat. It is for the cat to produce a cat’, we all laughed heartily at his ability to state a profound truth in such a casual way! In fact, I distinctly remember how there was an hour-long discussion following this statement of his. As we advanced in our age, we started taking note of his words and waiting to catch pearls of wisdom whenever they fell out of his mouth. And let me tell you we were never disappointed by him. The beauty was that he made these statements in a matter of fact way with a very passive countenance. He never had any look of arrogance or superiority on his face when he spilled such thought provoking gems. Last week I saw a yogi lecturing to a massive audience and whenever he made what he considered as witty, he laughed heartily within himself to make sure that the audience did not miss his jovial remark. Dhamu, on the other hand never indulged in such tactics and that made him phenomenally popular.

I remember an argument during my club going days when someone asked why we always mixed soda with whiskey and not whiskey with soda. There was hair splitting argument for over an hour on this matter when Dhamu walked in. The question was put to him and pat came his reply, ‘We always mix sambar with rice and not rice with sambar’. There was instantly a deafening silence followed by loud clapping of hands. I am quoting this incident to drive home my point that Dhamu can never be pinned down by a question for which he has no answer. Once we pleaded with him to stand for election as President and Dhamu said, ‘People stand for election so that they can sit comfortably for the term. I would like to sit for election and work for the club standing during the term. So count me out as it is not the practice here’

Dhamu’s wife is intensely unhappy by all the encomiums we shower on him. Once she scolded me saying that he was just half mad when she married him and now we have made him raving mad. I was quite surprised that a man who was revered for his wit in the club could be such a useless man at home and conveyed my views to her. She immediately ground a few teeth menacingly and showed me the door. Running a house is far different from enthralling a band of useless guys in the cub, she said adding that he cannot solve a maths problem of his grandson studying in fourth class. I felt really bad hearing this view about him. And that was the last day that I went to the club!

ksuji, iyerviji, vaidehi71 and 15 others like this.

2. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

nice one C.

the quoted one shows that his wife was the most humorous but wasn't ready or had no time to enthrall a band of useless guys :):):)

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear CS,

That was a lovely profile of a friend. His statements were very profound indeed. The sambar and rice observation was the ultimate when it comes to unassailable logic. :-D

However, when it comes to his wife, I am not so surprised. It is one thing being entertained by such a person for a couple of hours every now and then and another altogether having to live with him!

Shanvy and Mistt like this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sri,

Dhamu's statements are profiund. We have a friend who makes you laugh so much everytime he opens his mouth but then not that appreciated by the family that belittles him. I agree with satchi, it is a different view from the inside.

kiran82 and satchitananda like this.
  5. Cheeniya

Dear GG
    You must have come to the conclusion about Mrs.Dhamu's sense of humour from the way she indulged in teeth grinding. To tell you the truth, the sight made me laugh inwardly!
    Sri

GoogleGlass likes this.
  6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya, I see that you delicately fast-forwarded to your last day at the club. Ahem.
    Certain readers, I mean those with a taste for the lesser parts of valor, might appreciate reports on the more colorful early visits.:cool:

7. Cheeniya

My dear satchi
    You never spoke a truer word! Of course it is one thing that his friends have a rollicking time in his company but it is totally another looking at it from his wife's point of view. I have seen several men who are the like and soul of parties but are total zombies at home! It is difficult to say whether it is a put on act or they really become so when they are at home without their friends. A friend of mine has his card playing sessions in his house on Sundays. His wife treats them to sumptuous lunch and eateries to make the liquour go smoothly inside. Her reasoning is that she at least has her husband under constant surveillance!
    Sri

satchitananda likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

My dear Shan
    It is not unusual that the wife of a man does not see eye to eye with the view of her husband by his friends. The reason is simple enough. The friends join to have total fun in the clubs and this in a way escapist! I know wives who create a club like ambiance at home to keep their hold on their hubbies!
    Sri

Shanvy likes this.
  9. Cheeniya

Dear sokanasanah
    Believe me, I pinched myself hard to make sure that it was indeed a feedback from you! ( I try to hide my embarrassed smile!) Recalling my club days, I could as well sing 'Those were the days'! At 75, if I recall my club days with nostalgia, I am sure it will cause several eye brows to rise!
    Sri

Shanvy likes this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri sir
    It was like reading R.K.Narayan and KVJ again.
    I could easily imagine the cartoons by Gopulu in yesteryear Deepavali malars, that portray such scenes... man of the home very popular among his peers while wife is looking daggers

The end was truly hilarious. Looks like Mrs. Dhamu's ire really made you nervous :)

Thanks for adding a word to my vocabulary... encomium.