1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Wishing Thread by Lisa Van Allen

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Mohur, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Mohur

Mohur Gold IL'ite

‘The Thread’ tells the story of the Van Ripper sisters. When the Stitchery matriarch, Mariah, dies, she leaves the shop to her three nieces – Aubrey, Bitty and Meggie. Three very different sisters are brought together by Mariah’s designs. Aubrey had a calling for stitchery from the very beginning. She knits the wishes of the town’s people all the while sacrificing her wishes for her own life. But fate has other ideas for her. Bitty with a history of a not so fairy tale-ish marriage, wants a stable and simple life for her children. She has no interest in the family business. Meggie, the youngest, is a restless soul who wants to get over feeling lonely all the time. She too has no interest in the family business and is always in search of their wayward mother. Now the three of them have to come together to decide the future of this business that has been left to them by their Aunt.

The leading characters of the three sisters were very well developed and very distinct. There were a number of characters in this book besides the three sisters who played an influential role. The plot is not extraordinary to stand out, but it has enough material to keep a reader engaged. From the characters and their quirks, to the concept of stitchery, to the final fate of the Van Ripper family business, to the eminent changes in the town and people’s reaction to it – the book has a pretty lot to offer. There’s love, drama and even a little bit of mystery in it.

My only complaint is the pace. It took time for things to take off and even then the pace was bit too slow for me. I read this book over a period of couple of days and I found it quite easy to put it down to come back for it later. And coming back to the book after a gap, I found it extremely easy to remember all that had happened before.

Overall, it was an okay book that can help when you are looking for a change of pace and a light read.