1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Winning Combo……

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SARASVADIVU, May 23, 2011.

1. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Hey! Dears, I’m going to share with you’ll how and who had saved me from a ‘critical situation’:-

This happened just a few months ago:

Being an International, residential School, ours is a ‘mélange’ of kids from various nationalities-Koreans, Malays, Singaporeans, Swiss, Lankans, and of course our very own Indian students, who belong to NRI families!!!!A strange coincidence is that the Koreans too celebrate their “Independence Day” on August 15!

So..a lot if importance is assigned to the celebration of this day on a grand scale, with all the children taking part in skits, dance ,songs et el!

As an English teacher who had some flair for writing, I would always be at the in-charge of penning down compeering scripts and also to train the students of the same!!

Our Director, a stickler for perfection would be present throughout the rehearsals; and the whole school will come to know my compeering students, as I would be hanging around with them..and they too would be my perfect ‘Mary’s little lamb’ and follow me wherever I’d go!!!!

To the extent my colleagues would tease me, “Come any function..you’ll always be flanked by two /three body-guards!

(Fine come to the matter –I can hear you’ll asking)

First let me introduce my students to you:
    Shresta , a Bengali and a first-time compeerer ..
    and Loshini , who I normally call as the ‘LankanLolita’..{as she is from Lanka!!}

All the three of us would be spending our time in the ‘Cultural Block’.

This is because we had to see each and every dance and song item..
    for me to write the apt descriptions..and for my gals to get a 'feel' of them
    ..as the task of taking the audience through the cultural journey..lies solely in their hands!!

We had so many rehearsals..and improvisations each time.

The most difficult part would be to come to the spotlight just in time for the announcement of the next!!

This should be done so precisely, not adhering to a leisurely pace, keeping the audience wait;
    nor to go too a bit early, even when the last beats
    of the 'BGM' is still not over.

Somehow my smarties began mastering this art.
    Everything was going on well.

We were very happy for one more reason: I had taken them for an outing, with the Director’s permission...in the pretext of having to purchase costumes for the show!!!!

After having picked up pleasantly shaded Ghagras, with some grand sequins work on it for my girls, we headed straight towards the ice-cream parlour..had fun..and came back to the School campus at our own pace!

Now, there was just a day to go for the grand event:-

Suddenly Shresta’s voice seemed to have sunk in and as in ‘Devar Magan’ ..’verum kaathu than vanduchu’!!!

That seemed like the end of the world for me..I was running to the School doctor every now and then and come back with lozenges; added to it, both me and Loshini would go to the canteen to get her black pepper balls and hot water..

Finally, our Director and Principal suggested, that I take somebody else and train..but I had to put down my foot firmly..

’coz not only was Shresta thorough with the script, but it was like a dream come true for her to go before a huge gathering!I had ample faith in her ‘dreams’ and did not want to go against it at any cost.

I kept her telling , "Shresta, You are going to do wonders dear..you are going to be the cynosure of all eyes tomorrow..with your dreams turning out to be true”!!!!

Only Loshini would have known the amount of tears I had shed....praying hard to my Ma for everything to go on well!

Almost everybody had given up hopes.The next morning too the condition seemed to be persisting..all the students were keeping their fingers crossed and waiting along with us..for some miracle to happen:

"At last You’ll became the winning combo”-the best compliment ever from our Director Sir.Applause upon applause was being heaped upon both the girls!!

-Yes! My Ma had come in the form of Shresta’s mother, who had brought along with her, some home-made Bengali ‘churnam’ that worked out literally a spell on Shresta's throat. The best part is none of us had even called or informed her mom who flew all the way from Kolkatta ,about Shresta’s throat.

To put it in Tamil, 'Chumma parandhu parandhu vaathiyaar adipare ..antha mathiri chumma athiradichuta en shresta kuzhandai..

Many parents from the audience had even come up to us..who specially showered Shresta with compliments for the marvelous modulation in her voice!

-Saras.

2. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Dear saras

Lovely blog dear !!!!!

I admire your care and affection for your students and your love for perfection in whatever you do.

shreshta's mom's arrival and Shresta's miraculous recovery to make the programme a success... makes even a reader like me.. whimper with a divine thrilling feeling .....so i can understand how you would have felt to witness it.

[​IMG]

I liked your naming loshini as "lankan lolita"
    Hats of to you for being such a lovely person and teacher...:cheers

3. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Wow dear Saras!!! Wonderful experience...
    You have naratted so well... I felt everything happening right in front of me...
    Great Saras!!! Keep sharing such experiences...

4. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear saras,

Your love for the children shines through your words like a million stars!!

It gives me goosebumps to know that her mom arrived at the right time with the precise medicine for the throat even without being invited, let alone knowing that the kid had a bad throat!!

Your love for the child, your faith in her dreams and your faith in HER, made HER come through in the form of Shersta's mom!!

Akila

5. SARASVADIVU

Dear mss,
    You know something this time I wanted your images to add the extra sheen that's why, though tempted.. I did not post any!!!

Yeah! there've been countless experiences in my teaching stint..mostly all like those nail-biting 'India-Pak.' cricket matches:spin

Thanks for your verbal shower of compliments..in which I'm literally drenched.:)

Cheers,

Saras

6. SARASVADIVU

Hello vidu,

Thanks for dropping by with a lavish praise as well:bowdown

:cheers
    Saras.

7. SARASVADIVU

Dear dear Akila,
    I was left choked with these profoundly touching words:
    >Your love for the children shines through your words like a million stars!!
    >Your love for the child, your faith in her dreams and your faith in HER, made HER come through in the form of Shresta's mom!!

Thank you will be a very cliched word to utter..still thanx so much akila!!

Saras.

8. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Saras,
    Your blog only serves to reiterate my longing to have a teacher like you. I had to learn the modulation the hard way. Though I have been speaking on stage since I was 16 I had no formal teacher or mentor who could take me in his/her wings and train me. I fumbled in my first speech (it happened within the premises of Meenakshi Amman Temple) and then cried and then spared no pains to master the art. Things would have been much easier and much more pleasant had you been my teacher and mentor.

When you put your foot firmly down on the substitution proposal well, you were not an ordinary person who wanted to just get things done, ignoring the feelings of the people around you. You might be wondering what made that kind mother to fly all the way from Kolkata. It's your unshaken faith in your ward. When faith can move mountains a frail mother is but nothing before that.

I am proud of you, Saras.
    love,
    sridhar

9. SARASVADIVU

Dear Sir,
    I stand nowhere near you sir..you've been giving speeches since the age of 16 and have mastered it all with your grit and determination.Your asking for a mentor would be as ridiculous as putting Einstein under a tutor!!!

Sir, today my kid Shresta is a much-sought after orator in the School-circles..what more can I ask for..I'm really happy for her!!!!

> When faith can move mountains a frail mother is but nothing before that.
    --loved and relished each of those words dear sir!
    I am proud of you, Saras.
    --Totally floored Sir!
    Thank you sooo much!!

Regards & love,
    Saras.

10. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

My sweet Honey,

You are the owner of the success. The MA [JUSTIFY]
    is always with you why you have to worry. You and your crew will always come out with flying colours in any field. Enjoyable post and for Shresta my special blessings and wishes for her.

All the best my dear ILite to come out always successfully in whatever career you are entering into your life. Lovely post:thumbsup
    [/JUSTIFY]