1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The whole thing is to shift into making conscious choices!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you kottravai for your feedback. I wish I could time my writings to the important events happening but the truth from my side is also that I have been trying to bring in certain practices into my life and have been thinking about them. The slow learner that I am, it took me almost 4months to finally understand why I am not able to do what I have wanted to do! Finally now, i get it :)

Hearty Congratulations! I am sure despite the restlessness sometimes, married life is offering it's own insights and helping you! I know you are aware of all that from this single feedback alone! Enjoy!

It is the need of the hour for many like I said kottravai! But you are very gracious to acknowledge it and even thank for it! If it is your newly married life that is testing you so much, I am sure there are different phases that all of us are going through that test us as well! Like I said, I had to write down so that I can listen to my own understanding!

Thank you for being so open, accepting and sharing with such a lovey feedback!

Thank you and you too!

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Very well said and in such simple terms! Thank you Sumitha! I have not been exposed much to our scriptures in a traditional sense of the word though I have a good understanding and when my Yoga teacher describes about the flow of Prana, I am in awe and amazement and continue to live in that state for many days! So I am learning a lot, thanks to her!

Thank you Sumitha! I need it!

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you Aruna for your very sweet feedback! You are so right all the responses I get here makes my day and I enjoy it thoroughly! thank you for your wishes and wish you the same!

4. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

Lovely post Sabitha.

We all go through phases of learning during different stages of life. It's a transformation in progress.

Things that you like you can do compulsively, but things that you do not like, you can only do consciously.

When you are hungry, the natural urge is to grab food and eat. To stay away from food there is no other choice except being conscious about it i.e. when you make a conscious choice, "I am very hungry, but I am not eating".

Quite interestingly, the minute you think you have got it, you have lost it. Always surprises me and leaves me wondering about the awareness part!

I had wished you in my earlier post, but only happy once again to wish you and your family a very Happy and Prosperous New Year!

5. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabi,
    The vedantin in you has surfaced again, to my "enjoyment"!!

When you find time, please read my posts
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/r...ns/4484-the-law-karma-part-1-a.html#post35494
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/r...-discussions/4674-the-law-karma-part-2-a.html

We must become consciously aware of the choices we make in every moment. For eg:
    Well, I can definitely insult you in words; but it is your choice to make the decision or again choice of getting insulted or not !

Deepak Chopra says, eventhough we are infinite choice-makers, we have become bundles of conditioned reflexes that are constantly being triggered by people & circumstances into predictable outcomes of behaviour. So our reactions become triggered by people & circumstamnces & very often forget that we can make a different choice as well. We, very often, make the choices unconsciously. If only we concentrate more , the whole process of conscious choice making & witnessing is very empowering.
    By our words & deeds we cast an invisible net around ourselves, which has as many plus points as there are minus. Just remember, nothing goes unaccounted for in the Universe. So by conscious choice making, if we increase the plus points, we will be able to tide over the adverse reactions caused by the minus points, with strength of mind. There is no second thought about the fact, that we are makers of our own destiny. By prayers, we increase our moral conviction & acceptance that there will be as many sorrows as there are pleasures.

I hope you agree with me!!
    Happy 2012 to you & yours!

5 people like this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Certainly Aspire!

I am no expert Aspire, but the key is understanding that that awreness was just for that moment, that incident - because those moments and incidents will appear different as our awareness grows (change happens!) It is very interesting and I am only now learning to just let be, even when I am learning, just trusting my heart and it's inherent ability to be!

Thank you Aspire and may you and your family have a wonderful year ahead!

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you Dear Mrs.C! i am not sure if I am vedantin but am certainly confused enough to want to spend sometime reading and thinking :)

Of course Mrs.C! I do, I do!!

I felt complelled to read now and read I did! Simple and beautiful! I loved the way you have described a silo!
    That is such a profund statement and I understand at an intellectual level and am often in awe but you know how to explain it so well!
    I think this understanding comes quite naturally to many of us thankfully just the acceptance and the trust that will take longer! And I love the word "adrshtam" - though so commonly used, I had never paused to think about this word.

Thank you Mrs.C I know I should give you a feed back there and I will but bringing in these words from those posts here made more sense! One of these days, I need o sit down and read your section in one go! That is the way I like to do and I will :)

Conditioned reflexes - what an interesting word! I think if we understand this, we do get a bigger understanding! And I think this understanding that you mention here from Chopra comes to life, in the real sense!
    Thank you Mrs.C for such a wonderful feedback! I love it and am grateful for the opportunity to larn more!

Thank you Mrs.C and Wishes to you and family as well!

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

a lovely post Sabi..:thumbsup

it was as if you have written this for me. Thanks .
    I very rarely do things consciously.I am more of a drifter... a drifter who has been just lucky or very blessed by Him above.now that doesn't mean I do not plan or I am not organised. despite that , I am thinking of so many things at any given point of time.
    I must learn to take one thing at a time and do it consciously .:)
    I must learn to sit quietly keeping my mind blank for sometime daily..

I enjoyed these lines from some of the Fbs...

Whatever changes/challenges/resolutions we make, no matter which time of the year, the key to sticking to is consistency. They say it takes 30 days to make anything into a habi tks kamala

.Goals should not be made because somebody else does it, but because you want to do it and believe that you can do it even if it were difficult, and something you cannot relate to in the beginning so so true Shan..

Your post has re-iterated what my subconscious knew all along but what my mind refused to acknowledge - to have to make a conscious choice and stick to it. I know I need time and a lot of patience to get my routine set. I am just hoping that I maintain my calm as much as I can. I loved your positive attitude kottravai..wish you all the very best in your married life.:cheers

According to our ancient scriptures, for good mental and physical health one needs to even breathe with consciousness - pranayama. yes mansi and so I had learnt when I practised the art of living.

Just remember, nothing goes unaccounted for in the Universe. So by conscious choice making, if we increase the plus points, we will be able to tide over the adverse reactions caused by the minus points, with strength of mind. There is no second thought about the fact, that we are makers of our own destiny. By prayers, we increase our moral conviction & acceptance that there will be as many sorrows as there are pleasures. I totally loved these lines , dear C.

2 people like this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Mindi,

that is such a lovely response! Believe you me, I am drifter too big time but suddenly I have begun to feel the longing to enjoy what I do, to do consistently, to do without multitasking and to do things that do not offer tangible benefits....I knwo you see signs of growing old but let me tell you a secret I am more afraid of spending more years without listening to my heart!!

Amazing isn't it? You have no idea how lucky I feel to get to hear all these words from our friends here and like I always say, that is the only reason I write here - so that I continue to benefit from what others have to offer and I am very grateful for that.

Thankyou for bringing that out by quoting - that shows how much have assimilated and appreciated!

Thank you for your feedback Mindi!

10. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Srama
    Sixty nine years have gone by. Sixty nine years of absolutely unplanned life. Now when I read this OP and the FBs, I suffer a king-size complex! But it is not my fault though. Right from the day I started uttering intelligible sounds, the folks around me started telling me that ‘man proposes but God disposes’. Maybe they did it with good intentions. They perhaps wanted me to develop a heart that could withstand all vicissitudes of life. You see, I belong to a family of strong fatalists. When my aunts told me stories, they were always about the guys who had to face torrential rains (like the one we have been facing for the last couple of days in Chennai thanks to a raging storm named by some Myanmar guy as ‘Thane’) when they went to market loaded with bags of salt to sell. When they switched to selling flour, they were hit by the worst dust storm of their life!

With such a background, it was no wonder that I grew to be utterly Bohemian. On a few occasions when I tried to plan for something God intervened and disposed it in His own way. Over a period of time, I became quite convinced that God and I were never going to see eye to eye on any proposal of mine and since it was He who had the final say in everything, I gave up planning for anything! On the flip side, I did my dad proud and how he used to beam whenever someone called me the chip of the old block! And so my life progressed. I, like the Kingfisher Airlines, kept everyone guessing.

It was this unpredictable nature of mine that carried me through my career too. I gave everyone the impression that I might have the answer for every problem while in reality, I could get the problems solved by making others think that I would solve them if they could not. More often than not, they became a prestige issue for them and they solved them by themselves! I have never had an occasion to make a conscious choice in any matter, not even my marriage. People who have read my OP on ‘Bride Seeing Ceremony’ would know what I mean. Not having to make a conscious choice absolves me of accountability. And accountability is a terrifying monster that I am mortally afraid of. The moment someone mentions accountability, I develop what Wodehouse calls as the ‘heebie-jeebies’! When the fear of accountability lodges itself in my mind, I cannot do anything right!

But believe me, my life has been great fun despite the Tsunamis and earthquakes. I have always avoided occasions which required me to make a conscious decision. I am not saying it is wrong or unnecessary. Maybe in today’s life, such compulsions have become necessary. I am happy that I belong to an era when a Bohemian was not looked down upon!
    Sri

5 people like this.