1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Way Divorced People Are Viewed

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by Dreamer, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Dreamer

Dreamer Silver IL'ite

As the title of my thread suggests, I really feel sad about the way divorced people are viewed in our society. Why are we so harsh on them? As a divorced man, I can only imagine what women go through. Even if people want to judge, they should only do so once they find out the reason for the divorce, which, is none of their business usually.
    So yes, this was more of a rant but I hope there are people out there who don't view us as some sort of sociopaths.

Sunshine04 likes this.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Since you are on a rant, and ask the "why...oh why" question, here is a positive spin for the divorced.

In countries, and/or life-situations where a divorce is a hard thing to get, and enduring the suffering in bad marriages is the only option and the general norm, people who go around flaunting their new freedom and happiness would be viewed with jealousy.

As for others viewing the divorced as some sort of sociopaths, it is a merely a perception from one side. The others have lost the bond, a mutual interest, a theme for life, that they used to have in common with the freshly divorced: being in a miserable marriage. And that is why they might avoid the different, and flock with their own sort.

If you are resolved to be happy, and not depend on "the others" to be so , you'd soon realize that nobody is treating you a sociopath.

Dreamer likes this.
  3. Dreamer

Dreamer Silver IL'ite

Your reply made me feel better. I never thought that their responses might also be coming from a place of jealousy! Hope there was a place for other divorcees to meet and socialize :)

4. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

Our society is judgmental of everyone who is different from the norm. Divorcees, widows, homosexuals, mentally challenged, physically challenged, childless, childfree, single... the list can go on and on. people feel secure when every around them is following the same structure, when someone differs, they feel threatened. I am recently separated but I am not staying in India. Here most people ( my friends circle, work circle, flatmates) view my relationship status as similar to a breakup from a long term boy friend. No judgement whatsoever. No one really is bothered . I am guessing it would have been a very different experience if I was staying in India.

5. Dreamer

Dreamer Silver IL'ite

Oh trust me it would have been VERY different if you were here. And worse. I hope you are in a happy space now though @Shreema86

Shreema86 likes this.
  6. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Divorcees are no longer of use to marrieds, hence they are shunned away.

Remember in adulthood, people become friends and acquaintances if there is a mutual (or one-sided) benefit.

Experience.

Unless divorcee (male or female) is rich, beautiful, interesting, or any combination, that person will be overlooked.

Dreamer likes this.
  7. Dreamer

Dreamer Silver IL'ite

Makes sense. As married people can't discuss anything with us they sort of shun us. Also, I think that such behavior encourages being quiet about the turmoil in their own marriages as well. So they keep quiet about it thinking that they don't want to be 'like us'.

8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Hahaha... :tonguewink: You are right about how people associate with others who have some common interest in their lives.

Couples with first babies are the most clannish. They can talk endlessly about their bubbuloo's diaper travails, toilet training, teething, the ear infections, the sleeping.eating struggles, and on and on. Listening to all that, in each and every get together, couples who are yet to be parents might even contemplate divorce and excommunication just to escape that torture.

Divorced people are just like anyone else. When they have a good thing in their lives, they can never appreciate that at all.

Dreamer likes this.
  9. brightsunflower

brightsunflower New IL'ite

Other opinions might not bother you, when you stop caring so much...

10. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Compared to the west India is a little late in warming up to the idea of divorce. It is a cultural hang up rather than a personal one.

Dreamer likes this.