1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Travails of Lord Krishna

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Today is Janmashtami, a day celebrated by all Hindus as the birthday of Lord Krishna, one of the two great avatars of Vishnu, the other being Lord Rama. It may appear a bit strange to you that I have come here to tell you about the end of these two Avatars on the birthday of one of them! Their ends tell us that even Avathars can find no respite from the attributes of the times in which their Avatars took place. There is plenty for us to learn from their exit.

While Rama never exhibited any symptom of His awareness of His divine status, Lord Krishna makes no secret about it. Rama came to this world in Tretha yuga when all humans had all the Divine attributes in abundance and there was no need for Him to proclaim Himself as God in such a situation. But Krishna comes in almost at the end of Dwapara yuga and the advent of Kali yuga. Anarchy reigns supreme and He finds it necessary to reveal His Divine status to assert His position as the protector of Dharma. Even then, it has little effect on the wrong doers and so He resorts to even questionable strategies to fulfill the purpose of His avatar. Krishna Himself explains this to the Pandavas thus: “All your bravery could not have defeated the Kauravas. Duryodhana could never be beaten in a fair fight. Out of the desire to do good for you, I used my power of Maya in many ways on the battlefield. If I had not, you would never have won the war. Deception is in order, when the enemy is stronger. The gods themselves are not above it. We have only followed their example”

Let us look at the sublime end of the most revered avatar of Rama. One fine morning, Rama sets out for the Sarayu River, dressed in fine silk. He is chanting the Vedic mantras. All citizens, ministers, animals and birds follow Him with fervent devotion. Rama proceeds for six miles towards the River. Brahma and all the gods appear in the sky and the whole firmament glowed with a transcendent splendor, a gentle breeze blew. Myriad musical instruments playing from the heavens filled the earth with the sweetest of music. Rama steps into the Sarayu River and enters the abode of Vishnu, in His own body along with His younger brothers. At the request of Rama, Brahma gives abode in the celestial world to everyone assembled on the banks of the river. All beings, animate and inanimate, that enter the waters of The Sarayu River attain the region of the gods. What a sublime end to the most uncomplicated Avatar!

Krishna on the other hand predicts to Uddhava thus: “There is just a week more left for me to finish the last of my tasks, the annihilation of the House of the Yadhavas and at Dwaraka, the sea will break her bounds and enter the city when I am gone. The moment I leave this earth, her glory will diminish and Kali yuga which is waiting to be born, will occupy her completely”. Krishna is actually the leader of the House of the Yadhavas but despite their proximity to Krishna they bring about their own destruction! On a dark night, a drunken brawl among the Yadhavas snowballs into a fierce fight. The fight was terrible and bloody and resulted in the total massacre of the Yadhavas. Krishna watched the fight, unmoved and unperturbed. Perhaps there was some emotion in His mighty heart but no one knew. Was it not all as He planned? The Kurus first and then the Yadhavas. ‘Parithranaya Sadhunam’ and ‘vinasayacha dushkritham’ were what He had promised. And His promise culminates with the death of his own heroes, Satyaki, Kritavarma, Aniruddha, Pradyumna, Gada, Samba and many others.

When a hunter’s arrow pierced His sole, Krishna cries out in pain and asks His charioteer Dharuka to pull it out. The blessed arrow was the medium chosen to convey Him back to Vaikunta. Krishna had assumed the form of a human being and He decided that He should die like a human being. All His life, Krishna lived in the grey area of the right and the wrong because in the light of the attributes of the times in which He was living, there was no way for Him to ensure that His means were as just as His End. He gives no excuses for His acts which appeared questionable for He had a promise to keep namely the protection of Dharma. The only explanation for all these happenings can be Krishna’s oft-repeated word-Destiny! Destiny is of one’s own making. Why I am I and you are you is a matter of endless speculation and fascination. The happenings in the Kurukshetra War and the events following them overwhelm us. But we must stand up and endeavour to see the reason behind them.

Sri

vaidehi71, sindmani, vsharma and 23 others like this.

2. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Cheeniya Sir
    OOOPs I'm taking Viji's place in giving you first FB!!!...
    It was really interesting to know how the 2 greatest Avtaars of Vishnu passed away... and even more interesting to know that Lord Rama who I always thought lead a more "normal" human life did so only because of the yug he lived in but Lord Krishna had to manifest himself several times to show his divine powers...
    Well.. now with all these rapes/ corruptions/ brother kill brother... events I wonder when this Yug will end and what will be its end???
    Kerman

1 person likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

My dear Kerman
    How smoothly you have usurped Iyerviji's unassailable position as the First Lady of the Community! But I know she loves you a lot and will not be upset about this.

Both the avatars of Rama and Krishna were human and yet divine. They had all the attributes of both human and divine. But Lord Rama lived in a Yuga when everyone had the divine attributes in abundance. We always say that when Gods have to manifest on earth for any reason, they assumed a human form. Hence the famous saying , 'Deivam manushya roopena'. Even in Kaliyuga, when a good Samaritan suddenly makes his appearance to help someone in distress, we consider it as the manifestation of the divine in human form.

In the case of Rama, He never had to proclaim Himself as God because there was no need for it. Even when He fought Ravana, He preferred to do it as a righteous human who has been terribly wronged. In fact, He never exhibited even half the superhuman powers that Lord Hanuman did! Hanuman did it all as the Servant of the Lord and He too never proclaimed that He had any divine powers.

But Lord Krishna's times were entirely different. The negative attributes of the humans were at their peak. To bring about some semblance of order, Krishna had to summon His Divine powers from time to time. We treat them as His Leelas but essentially, He had to resort to them as He advanced towards His goal of establishment of the right over the wrong. His next Avatar will only be to preside over the total destruction of a highly decayed and irredeemable world. We are fast heading into it!
    Sri

sindmani, vsharma, AkilaMani and 3 others like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

Thank you for this wonderful peace of information about the end of two great Avatars Maha Vishnu. Like you pointed out, my Guru also explained Tretha Yuga as Sathya Yuga were most people complied with righteousness and lived a perfect life and only a few people like Kooni misguided Kaikeyi to drift away from righteousness. But even that is planned by the Avatar to go to the forest and fight against Ravana. However, in Dwarapara Yuga, many people were not righteous and hence Lord Krishna has to use devious methods to destroy the people who drifted away from the righteousness.

At that stage, one of the visitors asked my Guru the same question Kelly asked, "What action the Avatar has to do to bring peace and harmony in Kali Yuga?" My Guru replied, "If Avatar comes and demonstrates celestial powers, He would be moved to a museum to make money out of it. If He had to destroy evil, He had no option to destroy everyone as good and bad is embedded in equal proportion in every human being. Therefore, the only way out for the Avatar is to work with the human beings and transform their minds towards righteousness. It will happen through several methods including natural disasters, wars through which human beings destroy each other, Avatar coming in human form and preaching Sanatana Dharma to human beings, etc."

Dr. David Hawkins suggested the method to measure the collective human consciousness in a scale of 1,000 and only when we get to level 500, the human beings become love focused. We are lingering around 200 in a scale of 1,000. That too, we are at this level because of people in Himalayas (from various religions) with high level of consciousness. Unless we collectively make a concerted effort to improve, the quality of life will continue to deteriorate. Avatar has to come to make corrective actions and He is the best judge about the timing and action.

Viswa

sindmani and Angellic like this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

First thing sir, you call these as travails of Krishna because he really had to bring himself to do all these things that he normally would not have done as a God to help establish Dharma again? Just curious. You know reading this snippet I realized that I have really never ever given a thought as to how these avatars came to an end! I think I did hear in bits and pieces about Krishna in the recent past but I have successfully managed not to show interest to this side of the story at all! It is interesting though that you speak of Rama for just this past Sunday in a Gita study class, there was a mild argument about how Rama knew that he was divine to my counter argument and then that if he knew, did not show it as well. Now, your explanation offers me an opportunity to go back and speak hopefully more wisely. But sir, to actually understand Krishna and his actions as leelas it takes a lot more than what I have and so viewing simply as a leela sounds good to me than trying to understand for now! But sir I cannot help think if God had to resort to those ways in those days, what will have to resort now and can we now say God save the world? The more I read what you have written the more confused I seem to be getting! Krishna did not hesitate to bring his divine side while living but chose to go the human way while returning to Vaikuta? Why sir? He certainly seems to be more mysterious than I had understood. Rama on the other hand seems simple and straight :)

3 people like this.
  6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sri,

So, Gods also have travails!!! We pray them to remove our travails!

I am a novice compared to many others on IL. So, excuse me if I write something stupid (in front of so many veterans who have studied scriptures in depth).

Rama showed us how to live like an ideal person and values one has to follow. I never thought of other side of table...about the people lived in that era. I thought the values Rama (how to treat parents, brothers, wife and everyone else in our life) are eternal and not time bound or yuga bound. This conception is new to me. So, he behaved accordingly in the era because the people at that time have divine qualities are enlightened. Because he was God incarnation his end of avatara was very grand!

Krishna was born in a different era when people were not not divine and not that of very good traits.. So he had to do many questionable things and was always in a hurry. Wanted to finish off the things quickly...from the time he was born he started showing his divine attributes. Killed Poothana, shakatasura and other demons, killing of Kamsa and helping Pandavas in Kurukshetra war (in many questionable ways). All this to retain Dharma and to make win good over bad. After all the grand life he led he chose to stop his avatara in a very subtle way. He did his job and went away calmly.

In this yuga...in God incarnation, God has to do many many more questionable jobs to establish Dharma in the present circumstances!!! To me all doubts and doubts!!!!

Syamala

sindmani likes this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya sir,

Enjoyed reading this. Interesting comparison of the two avatars of Vishnu.

I had only heard that Rama entered the Sarayu river and ended his life. So I always understood that as a form of samadhi/suicide ...... I had never heard the entire story of the end of his avatara on earth.

I have somehow always loved the Krishna avatara more. Although he was prone to show his divine status more often, he somehow seems more human to me with all his foibles and mischievousness. While I have always greatly admired Rama for the "pran jaaye par vachan na jaaye" principle, I have always felt very strongly against him for the way he treated Sita. Somehow the explanation that he did so to in his role as a king and to fulfill his duty to his praja does not convince me so much because besides being his wife, was Sita not also a part of his praja?

Krishna's end on the other hand has always left a feeling of sadness - almost like the loss of a near and dear one. I suppose I just tend to get too carried away with these stories and should learn to accept them for just what they are.

sindmani and Amma15 like this.
  8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

I am still in my Birthday mood:):)and had started so many threads that I had no time to give fbs as my daughter was here and her brother in law's family. Since two days I am trying to finish the replies but its going on and on and I never noticed your new thread. Just now noticed because of Satchi's reply and came here. I will come back with my fb later.

Kelly no problem dear, so I think everyone in IL knows that I like to give the first fb:)

9. Cheeniya

My dear Viswa
    Your visit to my thread is always an indication that it has passed muster. Thank you for your early visit. You are right about the misguided characters in our epics. Kooni and Sakuni were the catalysts that hastened the Lords towards the purpose of their Avatar. If Kooni had not played her role, Rama would have got enthroned and ruled Ayodhya for a few thousand years forgetting all about Ravana! Kaikayi too would have forgotten all about the boons that Dasaratha granted her earlier in their life. All said and done, she loved Rama more than Kausalya herself until Kooni sowed the seeds of jealousy and hatred in her. Sakuni was more like the dice that he used to cause misery to the Pandavas and he played into the intricate web of the Lord’s Maya. If we have to explain the Lord’s methods in the Dwapara Yuga, I can only think of the famous Tamil saying that nothing is handier to remove a thorn than using another thorn!

I too agree with you that Kelly’s question was very relevant. And I also agree with you that if an Avatar came our way today, we would put Him in a museum and make money out of it. If you see some of the world’s outstanding magicians playing their awesome tricks on YouTube, we may start wondering if their acts are mere deft of hands or a result of their supernatural powers. In the famous comedy, ‘Oh, God!’ in which George Burns comes in the role of God, people found it difficult to believe he could be God! Same was the case with Bruce, the Almighty in which Jim Carrey is invested with awesome powers! If Lord Krishna puts up His appearance, we will not recognize Him if He comes dressed as any of us. He has to be attired in the traditional pattern of expensive clothes and jewels with a feather of peacock and a flute in His hand! This is going to be His biggest challenge when He has to put in His appearance as Kalki. If He comes dressed as Vettel and in a single seater supersonic jet instead of a flying horse, He will go unnoticed.

Dr.Hawkins’ theory of a collective human consciousness of close to 1000 is purely Utopian! It will never happen. It cannot even be fostered in a well-knit community like IL! So the quality of life will continue to deteriorate until it is time for the last Avatar! Do you know that when the last cycle ended, it started all over again with the Avatars of Matsya and Koorma. More interestingly, in Matsya Avatar, Manu is directed to play the same role as Noah in building an Ark and saving a pair each of the living being!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  10. Cheeniya

My dear Srama
    Knowing that you are extremely adept in hitting the Bull’s Eye, I am not surprised at all that the very first line of your FB does just that! If you hold certain principles very close to your heart and if you are asked to act against them, won’t you be in a great dilemma? God is no exception in this regard. From the lofty ideals He set up as Rama, to take a plunge to the abysmal depths of apparent moral depravity could be difficult even for a man, let alone God. And He had to do that for the sake of upholding ‘Dharma’ and the irony of it all could have caused Him great agony. He was utterly miserable when He was put on the mat by Gandhari. She breathes fire when she sees the dead bodies of her sons in the battlefield and sends for Krishna. She holds Him entirely responsible for the death of her sons telling Him, ‘You could have guided my sons properly if you really wanted to and solved the dispute amicably. You failed to do so. You took the side of the Pandavas from the beginning and your partiality was very much reflected even when you came to my son pleading their case.’ She goes on to curse Him and the clan of yadhavas with total annihilation. Krishna defends Himself saying that He had to resort to unrighteous conduct to counter the unrighteousness of her sons. Don’t you think that these are enough to cause travails to the Avatar?

You sound interesting there when you talk of God saving the world. In today’s situation, God will have to destroy half the world to save the other half! This percentage will keep increasing in favour of destruction. Keep reading this thread Srama. You will get more and more enlightened about Krishna as you read my further inputs in response to others.
    Sri

3 people like this.