1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The "travails of being an Indian woman"

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Read so many pages and long posts looking for a "SORRY I made a personal attack because you had a different opinion than mine in a completely unrelated topic".....

:confused2: how hard can it be?

Now should others worry about their past threads before disagreeing with someone?

Discussion is not about riya's parenting decisions or her child.

It is about having the freedom to disagree without fear of others pointing to past threads.
    An attempt was clearly made to strip riya of this freedom just to win an argument.

It is not fair

"Standing up" is being preached. In way, riya and others are standing up for their "right to disagree" with dignity. .

Sorry. Looks like op has made a request to close this thread. I will be more than happy to delete this post if needed.

3 people like this.
  2. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Riya,

I wanted things to settle before I reached out to you. I am truly sorry that I used your personal situation as an example to prove any point. I have no right (or the experience) to judge you or your situation and what you are or have gone through. You obviously have more strength to go through what you go through and still try to take care of your little child as best as you can.

Some people commented that I live in a bubble or have a “perfect life” to understand someone else’s pain. I admit I maybe living in a bubble but by no means do I have a perfect life. I have a real life and I have the ability to feel someone’s pain and one does not have to go through it to understand. I wish it was different and sometimes I find it hard to really believe that so many women go through such issues even in today’s world. I have seen some problems in India ( friends, neighbors and even family) but I guess by and large I really was isolated from all that by my parents so it was like a bad stereotypical movie. But coming to this forum, it made me realize that all these issues are very real and a lots of women face it and that completely changes my perspective.

Have you read George Bernard Shaw’s “Pygmalion”? The movie “My fair Lady” is an adaption of that play. I read that when I was a teenager and if I was very fond of quoting Eliza from it. I always was dramatic and felt that I lived in two different worlds. I am very much Indian to the core but very removed from many issues that so many Indian women face every day. In the past few days I have seen so many situations on this forum and if I try to put myself in their shoes, I cannot imagine how they cope with what life has dealt to them. Every women gets into marriage with so much idealism and so many dreams but for so many it turns into nightmare so quickly.

Again- we may have a lot of different views on a lot of subject and maybe even different ways of handling things but I am sincerely apologetic for any pain that I have caused you and hope you find it in your heart to accept my apology and put this behind you.

5 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.