1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The "travails of being an Indian woman"

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

And you please me very much because you just reinforced my beliefs once again. And, most importantly, you made your point about you (collective)empathy so eloquently.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  2. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

aw, shucks. where's the blush icon when you need one.

sorry Rihana, your thread just went over the great wall of china and hopefully it comes back!

3. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks guys for a great debate. I appreciate all of you contributing your veiw points so eloquently. None of this is life-shattering stuff- the debate , I mean. Just people blowing some steam off the internet. I want to move on with my life and while I had fun expressing my views, I had enough of this site. I don't believe I share much in common with most of you so I don't want to offend anyone anymore.

Especially you Riya- who I seem to have personally offended. Please live your life in a way that is best for you.

Wish you all the very best and lots of happiness.

4. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

so early?? family forum can be difficult for many. I think, that is the reason many, many, good posters stay away from here but contribute a lot in other forums. I am sure you too will find something useful in other forums of IL.

2 people like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Would you, could you... respond in this thread before the sayonara?
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/r...071-if-you-read-fifty-shades.html#post2527573

would that, could that... be a common interest? :)

Please stay.... a gen-wine request....

genwine is how some people I know used to pronounce 'genuine'.

1 person likes this.
  6. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

There are very few things in life which are ALWAYS beneath contempt...and one of those is picking on a mother (or father) who is struggling with a child for whatever reasons. And for what? A difference of opinion which someone is entitled to hold?

Yes, bullies should always be called upon. It is not about hurting someone now or ages ago. This is the way to stop them from picking on someone else next time (even if empathy doesn't kick in, at least fear of being pulled up will). Those of you with children please teach them that simple fact.

Diva, I didn't expect you to grasp all then points overnight.most of the parents I see have only one thing to say...'when people say things to us about our children or about how we raise them, it is because providence has shielded them from this. We hope they'll never have to face the choices we make...it must be nice...if it means they have not been touched by the same brush, let them enjoy their lives.'

Enjoy yours..just don't pick on others. And certainly not for something as trivial as holding a different opinion.

3 people like this.
  7. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

HTML:

Radhai...yes I am:) I state it as a fact because I work on it. If you are interested, this particular thread did lead to another post on my mental health thread...it will give you an insight into some of the problems parents of children face from other perfect people.

Unfortunately this is a travail that parents face quite often, Indian or otherwise, mothers and fathers, educated or not, rich or poor...

8. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

9. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

.............CONT...

That brings me to my conclusion about why I don’t have anything in common with this most of you:

1. Most people seem to sit behind a laptop and type out empty platitudes and think that is empathy or compassion. To me that is just misery loving company. Someone rightly pointed out my blessings but pointed out there is still potential for things to go wrong with my life so I have “teachable” moments. I really don’t have anything in common with sanctimonious people who wish evil for others. I don’t believe any of the other sanctimonious members ever came out and said that is so wrong on so many levels.

2. One of the possible teachable moment pointed out was the possibility of my loving husband in future turn against me and other about possibility of “dealing with a special needs” child. Now let me address both those issues. Hypothetically if my husband does anything to me like some of the situations described on many of the posts, trust me- I am no martyr and will not sit back and take it. Second, every child is special and have special needs- it is just that the needs vary. Whatever those needs are, every child in an ideal world require abundance of love and a sense of security. I believe that every parents should strive to make those two things possible for each and every child. The lady in question – Riya is blessed to have a child with no physically issues- physical issues are something a mother or father can do nothing about. Her child has issues that mainly had to do with circumstances at home. Let me tell all those sanctimonious people out there- God forbid- if I were in such a situation, I will put my child’s interest before my own with no hesitation what so ever.

3. Let me conclude with one more thing about the way I was raised- I would never wish bad on someone no matter who they are. They say misery loves company so only the most miserable ones would every say something like that about someone else. But I truly believe people who wish unhappiness on others usually get what they wish on others 10 folds back.

10. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

do you know her child? do you know what an IEP is? do you know what the accommodations are for a child that needs an IEP? do you know that a disability is not always a physical one?

your ignorance is outstanding.

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.