1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The "travails of being an Indian woman"

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Am I, my friends, a lot of whom were born and lovingly raised in small Indians towns, not a part of the society?? Or the only women who qualify to form the "Real Indian Women", are the ones facing atrocities so glamorized in the West?

Very well articulated Reflection.....You mirrored my thoughts so well.

2 people like this.
  2. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Super super-duper like!
    Hats off.

2 people like this.
  3. Barnowl

Barnowl Gold IL'ite

I've seen cases -- in my family and neighbours' circle ,wherein despite no deficiencies in education/economic situation of the parents, the girl, as well as the boy, have been brought up to follow "woman is a doormat, man is a maharaja" kinda norms.

The reverse is true as well. I've interacted with poorest of the poor who wanted their kids to get a good education, even if that meant listening to jibes, taunts and being ostracized by their society, so that they get out of their vicious cycle. The parents in the latter case had put into actions the words which people sitting in their dining rooms discuss after a heavy meal as a precursor to hitting the sack.

It hardly matters whether X is a small town girl/ a resident of a megalopolis.

To some extent even the economic conditions may not matter.

IMO, it is the grit, burning desire, determination, call it what you like, on the part of the parents to NOT let the society parent their kids and forcefeed them with their moronic stereotypes that matter.

TOI had an article, many years back, in which it was mentioned that the number of testing centres in delhi are, surprisingly, the nighest in the richest parts of delhi.

Ina nutshell, statistics hardly matter in these cases. Stats tend to categorize and slot people and that tends to hide more than elucidate.

"Hey! We've reduced dowry cases/deaths by 1%. Just a stat error."

Unfortunately, in our country 1% is way too many.

I can't go to a woman who has suffered PA and say - "hey! Times are improving! You are in the minority! Your daughter will most likely not be battered and clubbed. "

2 people like this.
  4. steve

steve Platinum IL'ite

My comments are in blue.

P.S. I have spent clarifying my perspective amply. I don't think I can spend time nurturing this thread any more considering my time pressures and the mutations occurring on the original intent. Moderators, I don't mind if you may close this thread.

2 people like this.
  5. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

:hide:....................

1 person likes this.
  6. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Steve, thanks for your posts in this thread. Turned out to be a thread with many different POVs being shared. Some, were too deep for my thought level. And yes, some mutation of original intent and content has occurred. Threads like this need babysitting that takes up lot of mental and clock time. :)

How about we leave the thread open, but without the onus being on you to respond to every opinion?

Cheers!

8. Reflection123

Reflection123 New IL'ite

@barnowl @steve. Will respond in detail later (I kinda like writing long, verbose replies :)) ), this week, kinda hard pressed for time with a fresh load of assignments. But just putting a snapshot of my argument (that will follow later) here--- Maybe what you say is out of a kind of concern towards the issues of women. However I'd approach that differently. I'd refrain from making generic or umbrella statements about my country. Instead I would pick one issue at a time, and address it where its relevant. Branding my country(or any other country) in a specific way--lowers the value of its strengths. It reduces national pride. Progress is not only about removing weaknesses, but also understanding one's strengths and building on them. By creating negative stereotypes of our own country, we are not helping issues in any way. spreading awareness about any issue, should have a plan and intent of achieving growth, and should not simply be a recitation of general backwardness of our country, in my opinion. I am not talking about a false sense of pride, but about developing a holistic view of shortcoming AND strengths, and not have a one sided approach towards things.

Essay like details, and point to point answers (I am argumentative!) to follow later in the week...loads of work now :) !!

9. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

@Reflection would love to read what you have to say after u r done with ur assignments :)

@Steve....Being a woman is hard ..Period. I don't think anyone disputes that. (me least of all) But implication that being a woman in India is harder than being one anywhere else...is something that's hard to digest.
    Female foeticide,imposition of higher moral code , violence against women...gender discrimination both at the time of hiring and pay,pressure of excelling at work while being a super mom is not unique to India.

Here is where the implications lie

1 person likes this.
  10. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

lastly, this is not about "but others have these problems, too', this is about indian women and what she faces. i don't think anyone has tried to claim that india is the only country facing these issues.

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.