The Taste of Delhi - Authentic Recipes

Discussion in 'Shopping/Restaurants in Delhi' started by SoniaVerma, Feb 13, 2009.

1. SoniaVerma

SoniaVerma Senior IL'ite

Hi Friends,

It is not possible to discuss Delhi sans its food. Be it the spicy and tangy golgappa or chole batora; the smell of pakodas or paronthas and who can forget the faludas and the ice-cream in a chilling winter day. This is Delhi meri jaan.

Idea!!! :ideaWhy not tell the world what we enjoy and perhaps they are missing!

Share the most authentic recipes here so that all Dilliwaalis out of town and the rest of India and the world can have a Delhi Day whenever they want. Come on Gals, as I make the first move!!!

2. SoniaVerma

SoniaVerma Senior IL'ite

Golgappa - The Taste of Delhi

Hi Friends,

I couldn't stop myself from posting this tempting 'Golgappa Recipe' for you all. Obviously, golgappa's taste divine only around the street. :rotfl
    However, you can give a try if you want to have it in a lazy day or in the middle of the night. Of course, they will be 100% healthy for your children.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///F:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CSeuli%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><link rel="Edit-Time-Data" href="file:///F:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CSeuli%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_editdata.mso"><!--[if !mso]> <style> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Trebuchet MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 3 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:647 0 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->
    To Make Golgappa
    <u1:p></u1:p> ·1/2 cup Boiled Green Moong (lentils) sprouts
    <u1:p></u1:p>·2 medium Potatoes
    <u1:p></u1:p>·1 cup Tamarind chutney
    ·Golgappa Water
    <u1:p></u1:p>Boil the moong till just tender. Cool.
    <u1:p></u1:p>Boil the potatoes and chop coarsely. Cool.
    <!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    <!--[endif]-->
    Pooris for Golgappe
    <u1:p></u1:p> These can be made ahead of time. Store carefully in a large airtight container. Take care while storing since they are extremely fragile. Also it is important to take care not to break any as the poori has to hold the Golgappa water and other ingredients.
    <u1:p></u1:p>
    Ingredients:

1 cup Semolina
    <u1:p></u1:p>½ a cup Wheat flour
    <u1:p></u1:p>½ a cup "Urad daal" flour *Optional if unavailable
    <u1:p></u1:p>½ a cup Plain flour
    <u1:p></u1:p>Note : Use 1 cup of plain flour if you do not use the Udad daal flour
    <u1:p></u1:p>As per taste Salt or 1 ½ teaspoons
    <u1:p></u1:p>Water
    <!--[endif]--><u1:p></u1:p>
    <u1:p></u1:p>Procedure:
    Mix the flours and salt together and knead into a stiff dough adding water a little at a time.
    Add a little oil and knead till the semolina almost dissolves. Knead for a few minutes with oiled palms and cover with a damp cloth.
    Keep aside for 15 minutes.
    Heat oil in a deep wok / kadhai.
    Divide into 1/2 inch balls. Roll out into thin tiny Pooris. and deep fry in hot oil till they puff up and golden brown. Keep Aside.

Golgappa Water # 1
    <u1:p></u1:p> 5 teaspoons of the Golgappa/Paani Puri Masala
    <u1:p></u1:p>5 to 6 cups of Cold water
    <u1:p></u1:p>Pinch of black pepper powder
    <u1:p></u1:p>1/2 teaspoon Chaat Masala
    <u1:p></u1:p><st1:date year="2002" day="1" month="1">1/1/2</st1:date> teaspoons lemon juice
    <u1:p></u1:p>Mix all of the above and stir well. Store in an air tight container. Chill. Make a day ahead.

Golgappa Water # 2
    <u1:p></u1:p> 1 bunch ( 8 to 9 leaves) Mint Leaves
    <u1:p></u1:p>7 to 8 cups of Cold Water
    <u1:p></u1:p>3 teaspoons Black pepper powder
    <u1:p></u1:p>3 teaspoons Black Salt
    <u1:p></u1:p>3 teaspoons Salt
    <u1:p></u1:p>1/2 teaspoon clove powder
    <u1:p></u1:p>2 teaspoons Cumin powder
    <u1:p></u1:p>1 inch piece of Fresh Ginger
    <u1:p></u1:p>1 1/2 teaspoons of Lemon juice
    Wash the mint leaves . Grind all of the above ingredients in a blender with a little of the clod water. Add the rest of the cold water. Store in an airtight container. Chill in the refrigerator. You can make this a day ahead.
    <!--[endif]--><u1:p></u1:p>
    SERVING THE GOLGAPPA
    Tap the Poori/Golgappa at the center lightly to make a half inch hole in it.
    <u1:p></u1:p>Add about 1/2 teaspoon of the potatoes and 1/2 teaspoon of the boiled Moong.
    <u1:p></u1:p>Now add 1 tbsp of the Tamarind chutney.
    <u1:p></u1:p>Dip the filled Poori into the chilled golgappa water and serve.
    Hmmm..I can see all of you rush for the ingredients.. Its definitely going to be a 'Golgappa Day' for IL ladies.
    [FONT=&quot]:cheers
    <!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:45pt; height:30pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///F:\DOCUME~1\Seuli\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://www.IndusLadies.com/forums/images/smilies/beerchug.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->[/FONT]

3. calilabhavna

calilabhavna New IL'ite

Re: Golgappa - The Taste of Delhi

I loved your recipe and thanks for making the first move. I will try your recipe at home and tell my family members that a friend from Indusladies.com taught me this interesting recipe.

4. SoniaVerma

SoniaVerma Senior IL'ite

Hi Bhavna,

I'm glad you liked the Golgappa recipe. Try at home and post some other HOT Delhi ka khana recipes for all of us.

Do you know Golgappa is known by different names in different Indian cities. Golgappa is famously called so in most of the North Indian states of Delhi, Haryana, Uttar pradesh, etc, it is called Panipuri in Western India like in Maharashtra, Gujarat, etc. While in Eastern part of India like in West Bengal it is called Phucchka.

Lucky Golgappa, pyar se log kitne naamo se bulate hai.
    :rotfl

Happy Posting!

Sonia

5. roopanair123

roopanair123 Gold IL'ite

hi Sonia

I too am a die hard fan of golgappa (our "pani puri" in Mumbai)....Have noted your receipe......Let me take a try !!!!!

Rgds

Roopa

6. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

Hi sonia :),

thanks for your recipe! since i dont know the ingre of crispy pooris i buy it as readymade packet from the shop. Rest of the things, i prepare at home.Now i'll start preparing it at home in bulk. Yours must be authentic one.

With that tiny crispy pooris, we can prepare many other tasty items also like dahibatata poori.I found this recipe in the website called www.monsoonspice.com.pictures are colourful and amazing here.

We were in gurgaon for someyears where i learnt many sabjis,yummy alooparathaetc.Still i cant forget that life.

cheers,
    sadhana.

7. SoniaVerma

SoniaVerma Senior IL'ite

Shahi Tukda - The Taste of Delhi

Thank you everybody for your fantastic response to the 'pyaara' Golgappa recipe. Here's another one for the month - SHAHI TUKDA.

This is
    an exciting dessert from <st1:place>North India</st1:place> cuisine. [FONT=&quot]Spongy Shahi Tukda melts in the mouth and is extremely delicious in taste. And the best part of this is all the ingredients are always there at home. So if you have guest suddenly calling on you, you know how to impress them. :thumbsup

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Shahi Tukda (Bread with Reduced Milk)[/FONT]

Ingredients[FONT=&quot]<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:16.5pt; height:16.5pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://kona.kontera.com/javascript/lib/imgs/grey_loader.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

• Bread: 5 slices
    • Ghee for frying
    Syrup

• Thick rabri (reduced milk): 100 gm
    • Sugar: 100 gm
    • Rose essence: 2 drops
    • Water: 50 ml
    • Silver leaf (vark):1 sheet
    • Cashew nuts/pistachio for garnish
    Method

1. Cut each slice of bread into 4 triangles after trimming their sides.
    2. Make a thick sugar syrup by boiling the listed ingredients.
    3. Heat the ghee and fry the bread. Soak the sugar syrup for 5 minutes.
    4. Arrange the slices on a platter and top it with rabdi.
    5. [FONT=&quot]Garnish with silver leaf and nuts. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Tips: Shahi Tukda is a good way of using leftover bread slices effectively.

Let me know if you liked the recipe.

Happy Holi!!!

8. uttarkideepika

uttarkideepika New IL'ite

Hi Sonia, thanks...thanks and thanks a ton for the amazing Shahi Tukda recipe.

Actually we were planning what to make something special for the holi bash at home. The moment I read your post, I ran like a kid to my MIL and told her about it. She too was very happy as she had almost forgotten about this great dessert, which she used to make in her early days. It happens with most of us, that we just stop cooking certain things and forget about them, as we learn new things (This mostly happens with people like us who travel and relocate a lot) :wink:

Aisa hi chalta rahe to..is forum ke badaulat meri to zindegi badal jayegi yaar :yes:

9. pamellasingh

pamellasingh New IL'ite

Hi Sonia, Thanks a lot for sharing this wonderful recipes. I tried out your golgappa recipe the other day and it turned out wonderfully well. And not to mention the Shahi Tukda's they are our all time favorite at home. But good to see it on this forum.
    Hope to see some Muglai Dishes as well.
    :wink:

Also, can someone share any khaas recipe of paranthas from ChandniChowk's Paranthewale Gali.

10. sethihardeep

sethihardeep New IL'ite

You know we Punjabis love food with liberal doses of ghee, butter and cheese and spices that can rejuvenate the spirit of life. However, someone like me as a working women always strive to make something which is traditionally popular yet quick and easy to make. Moreover, here I can have a control over the dollops of ghee to be used (for health freaks like me) :shhh:

Here's the authentic recipe for Parath Parantha that is simple and the most famous amongst Delhi's cuisine. It is one of the simplest, yet most favored parantha even in Delhi's Paranthewale gali.

PARATH PARANTHA
    Recipe Ingredients:

• Flour
    • Garam masala
    • Red chilli powder
    • Salt
    • Clarified butter; all to taste
    Recipe Instructions:

• Knead the flour into dough. Then roll the dough into a shape of a chapati. Sprinkle red chilli powder, salt and garam masala.
    • Smear Clarified butter on it, mix and spread it evenly. Now slice it into 16 squarish pieces. Place pieces, one on top of each other.
    • Compress and roll into shape again and deep-fry it in clarified butter on low flame.
    • Parath parantha is ready to eat.
    • Serve hot with sabzi, pickle and chutneys of your own choice.
    Let me know who all of you have given it a try. And also let me know if you are planning an innovation with it.:idea