1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Story Of A Barber

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, May 21, 2010.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

The Story Of a Barber

2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Sridhar Sir

Superb story of 7 jars of gold and Yes in our money matters forum we ask this question sooo many times!! how much is too much?? how much is enough for retirement or how much savings is enough..sometimes its soo tough to put or fix a no. to that how much because as you said that NEED for MORE exists in our brain not in reality.

Loved reading this one. Thank youu!!!

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Nice 7 jars story. Only if the barber saw the filled jars of 6, he would have been contended..but he saw what is empty.
    There lies the problem, right.

Half-full, half empty..outlook..

As of now, our needs overflow..and we forget what we want.
    Good blog, Sridhar!

sriniketan

4. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Sridhar sir:

The story sets you thinking for sure!

The bottomline is how successful we are in separating our wants from needs! Sometimes, I feel it is a thin line of separation and there are times when the line is completely blurred!

Good food for thought on friday morning!

Sindhu

5. varalotti

Srividya,
    Thanks for being the first to respond to this blog. I agree the question of how much is relative. But I am afraid that we are slowly losing our sense of proportion these days.

Having been in the field of money and finance all my life, one thing is very clear to me. In money matters never compare yourself with your neighbours, brothers, cousins, colleagues, no one.

While I love making money having more and more of it has its own problems which people realise only when it is too late.

sridhar

6. varalotti

Thanks Bhargavi for the nice words. The barber should not have just seen the filled up pots. He should have tried to spend the gold from those pots. That's why the wise man wants the barber to ask the demon, "Is this on earning account or expense account?"
    "இந்தத் தங்கம் வரவு கணக்கா செலவு கணக்கா?"
    You know at times a mundane question from a mundane accountant might lead you to truth.
    sridhar

7. madhumathi1974

madhumathi1974 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for a gud story in early hours for us.

AS elders say if you want something you have to sacrifice somethings inlife and that sacrifying things should be decided by us. So depending that only god also helps us i feel personally. money is important but not more than then our loving family i think.

That was my situation in early days but me and my dh decided we dont want saving but staying together and enjoying the life together along with kids in all situations is important.So today we r here happy and we will be for ever.

Thankyou once again appa for highlighting such things for our gudness.

byee n takecare appa cum bf,
    your lvg dd cum gf,
    madhumathi.

8. varalotti

Sindhu,
    Incidentally my name is Sridhar and Sridhar Sir. And if you insist on calling me Sridhar Sir, I'll call you Sindhu Rao. Take your pick

Even that need-want dichotomy is gone these days. At first you want an AC. Then having been used to it AC becomes a need. The same logic goes to Benz Cars, European holidays and yachts.

The only point is whether the money we have lets us live a good life. If it doesn't then we have more than necessary.

thanks for coming in.
    sridhar

9. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Boost,

Good one...quite enlightening.

This reminds me of the saying "alai onja pirakku kulikaradhu" Which never happens. So are our wants which never gets exhausted. It is a vicious cycle, we need to conciously put a full stop to this greed of ours. The same goes with the barber too, trying to fill the half empty vessel rather being contended with 6 full jars.

Sridhar..the above quoted by me is what I agree but I do have a doubt. For eg, If I am working as an clerk in a bank, then my aim would be to get promoted as an officer, the next as Manager, then as Sr. Manager, AGM & GM etc. If I do not aspire then I do not grow. I would not have the zeal to work hard to grow. On the other hand If I am satisfied being a clerk I cannot reach the pinnacles of success. In this situation what do you expect a normal person to do? Is this not his greed to reach success? If the Ambanis, Tatas had not worked hard, we would not have the benefits and there would be no rags to riches story. Hope I have made myself clear. How can we put a full stop saying that enough is enough I am not going to grow professionally?

10. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

I had to share some thoughts on this after seeing the germans here.....i think this Want and earning more and more and Saving , having car etc etc all these prestigious issues don't exist here , ...it seems to be our Indian creations! The germans try to enjoy the same day or month or year what they save up , by going on holidays etc. I don't see many people wanting to get higher on social status , no such concepts at all. They study for long, get a job , are not so bothered about promotions, more money etc, and take life easy. Not many save too for old age and then they depend on the govt here to take care.; that way it is the other extreme na! Enjoy now and dont worry or take care of the future needs. Also they dont bother about even their spouses so where is the need to save for children , or the next generation....which is what we in india do! Why run after Money at the expense of sacrificing FAMILY and other values in Life!

So i guess finally each one has to decide what is their limit and need and try to be happy within that ....

And like Lalitha says, what about ambition and goals then.....each one has to step up into the next level of achievement na, to keep growing and not stagnate. If each one at every stage creates an awareness and makes choices accordingly, i guess then there will be no Perasai, greed! Right?:hide:
    thanks for writing on this, so i could also share some insights from what i see around here!