The STATE where BRAHMAPUTRA is KING - ASSAM !!

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Sudha Kailas, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

My holiday in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Assam</st1:place></st1:country-region>

My husband and I decided to take a holiday before retirement and so on arrival in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region></st1:place>, the first thing that we did was join the tour with SIL who was going on a trek to Mizoram. Their plan was to see <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Assam</st1:place></st1:country-region> and Nagaland before joining their group in Mizoram. We were both eager to join them too at least to see a part of the North East if not for the trek!!

So here’s how we went……..

Took Rajdhani from Mumbai to <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> on 20<SUP>th</SUP> October and stayed at a friend’s place. <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> was gearing up for the cold winters and it was lovely there.
    The friend was so good and her hospitality is unbeatable. 21<SUP>st</SUP> flew past with the trio doing local sightseeing and walking in the gardens.

22<SUP>nd</SUP> (also happens to be our WA), we flew to GUWAHATI and stayed at the Circuit House which is on the banks of the <st1:place w:st="on">Brahmaputra</st1:place>.

23<SUP>rd</SUP> – we reached JORHAT. It was a lengthy 6 hour drive and enroute we passed through so much greenery….Arica Nut, Banana, Coconut trees, Tea gardens, Bamboo and each house house has a pond to cultivate fish. Fish is common food along with rice being a rice eating state.

24<SUP>th</SUP>MAJULI…..a small island in the <st1:place w:st="on">Brahmaputra</st1:place> river and very famous for SATRAS. SATRAS is the place of worship and there are as many as 100 there. The most famed ones are the KAMALABARI, DHAKSHINPATT & SAMAGUDI satras. There is no idol worship and they worship the BHAGAVAD GITA.
    The island is getting grants from UNESCO who helps the islanders to maintain the ethnicity and culture. The tribe living here are the MISHI tribe. 100 different rice is grown here. KOMAL CHAULA- rice cooks fully in 15 min if soaked in warm water and BAO DHAAN- rice grown underwater.
    Another interesting fact in this island is POTTERY made by hand and wheel not being used.

2<SUP>nd</SUP>-4<SUP>th</SUP> November<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">MANAS</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">NATIONAL PARK</st1:placeType></st1:place>
    <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Manas</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">National Park</st1:placeType></st1:place> situated 26 km deep inside the Jungle has so much beauty with animals left free especially TIGERS and ELEPHANTS but unfortunately we did not see both these wild. We stayed in the forest tourist house on the banks of the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">MANAS</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">RIVER</st1:placeType></st1:place>. The river with its flow, sound, crystal clear cold water enthralled us.

Attaching some pictures clicked of <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">ASSAM</st1:place></st1:country-region> for your eyes only !!

10 people like this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sudha,

I Love the north eastern states.. I did not utilise an opportunity to visit when i was a teenager owing to the travel discomforts then.i regret it a lot now..i hope we do it sometime..i will ask you for pointers..

now will wait to watch the almost virginal beauty of ASSAM

1 person likes this.
  3. Sudha Kailas

6 people like this.
  4. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Sudha:

Good to see you in the Travel section. The travel forum is seeing an account on Assam in a really long time (probably a first - maybe wrong there). I heard that there is a temple dedicated to Parashurama -close to Guwahati or in Guwahati. Have heard a lot about Duliyajan in Assam.

Like Shanthi mentioned, would love to visit those parts of India sometime.

Looking forward to the photographs.

Sindhu

2 people like this.
  5. Sudha Kailas

3 people like this.
  6. Sudha Kailas

5 people like this.
  7. Sudha Kailas

6 people like this.
  8. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sudha...
    Lovely write-up.....Its making me yearn to go n see the place especially the Manas river pic is so beautiful....I hope to see them all once ..Did u see the famous Kamakhya temple in Assam?

Thanks for sharing....

1 person likes this.
  9. Sudha Kailas

Shanti dear, very nice to get your first feedback.
    You are most welcome to discuss travel plans to Assam with us and we will guide you.

10. Sudha Kailas

Dear Sindhu, am so happy to receive your lovely feedback.
    Unfortunately, we did not visit this temple and am not aware of it except for the Kamakya Devi Temple.