1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Sparrow And The Eagle

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 21, 2017.

1. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    Not first things first but last things first......you can write with equal ease both serious topics and humour as well.Serious matters makes grey cells work and can have a good laugh with humour. Even behind humour you have some spark of thought or message conveyed...even if it is saying that you did not need a T.V in triplicane as equal real life dramas happen in other tenants' homes and those give equal or more entertainment!
    I have a couple of writer friends...write short stories. Both of them say that fans of Wodehouse definitely read serious literature also (They are 100 % sure of the fact). I agree with them as they are more knowledgeable than me.
    Sparrows have almost extinguished.....that is sad. I remember in childhood when my mother used to sit for picking stones in rice in Chata, made of bamboo ( I do not know equal English word to it) sparrows used to come and how intelligently they remove the husk from grains of rice and eat only rice part. It was fascinating to watch them. Always there used to be one nest in ventilator.
    Birds migrate in winters to south. In USA we used to stay in Pennsylvania and in the onset of winters it is a familiar sight to see flocks of birds, small ones flying to Florida. Somebody told me they cover the distance in a few hours in one stretch! My cousin and his wife are doctors in Florida. They say in winters quite some senior citizens come and stay in Florida to in winters from North east states to avoid cold and quite some of them are their patients. They call them snow birds!
    Bach...I do not remember how many times I read Jonathan Livingston seagull and do not remember how many people I gifted the book but not sure how many read it. From the small book we learn so many things, so much can be achieved even by the slowest living being, motivation, achievement, a lot of knowledge and sharing with others! I want to write a lot lot about that book but I restrain myself as you and Sabita know a lot more things about Bach!
    It does not matter how fast mind can travel fast as Yudhishtara said, but even if it is at snail's pace progress made in spiritual life is what matters and that is priceless! Is there a limit for perfection? No...as you said. it is not bounded by numbers...Yes.
    I would better stop now. Otherwise it would be longer than the blog. May come back later in the discussion.
    Thank you sir.
    Syamala

satchitananda likes this.
  2. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Cheeniya,

[QUOTE="Cheeniya, post: 3957041, member: 4510

"There is a saying in Tamil that however high a sparrow tries to fly, it cannot become an eagle.

உயர உயரப் பறந்தாலும் ஊர்க்குருவி பருந்தாகுமா?
    It could never happen.

In the same way if a turkey tries to dance spreading its wings it cannot compare itself with a peacock.

கானமயிலாடக் கண்ட வான்கோழி தன் பொல்லாச் சிறகை விரித்து
    ஆடினாற் போலுமே கல்லாதான் கற்ற கவி.

I have heard people calling this daily visit of two eagles from Varanasi to close to Chennai as utter non-sense!

We went on excursion to Thirukazukunram when I was studying in Kanchipuram. When the gurukkal offered the prasadam only one eagle came. We could not wait for the other eagle to come as we had to leave for Mamallapuram.

They have not probably heard of a bird called godwit which has been seen to fly 11000 kms nonstop from one end of the world to the other. This is a scientifically verified fact. Mind you, these birds are not huge beasts of power like the modern transpacific jets but live birds that measure some fifteen inches and weigh much less than half a kilogram! Don’t say you won’t believe it because ornithologists have labelled them and proved their flying capability. Their flying time for 11000 kms is roughly 8 days nonstop! Nonstop, mind you!

It seems birds have tremendous energy. Lots of birds visit Vedanthankal even now from thousands of miles away.

Our mind travels faster than the fastest birds and the man made vehicles.

After finishing this write up, I showed this to a friend who is normally my sounding board for all my new blogs. He read this and told me that I was better in jovial subjects. ‘Go back to Triplicane’, he advised me![/QUOTE]

I totally disagree with your sounding board friend's opinion. Here in IL people are waiting eagerly to read your ramble on any subject under the Sun and above the sky.

PS

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Srama

My dear Srama
    Chirping birds, trees in bloom, the green grass and daffodils? Sigh..! You ought to be ashamed of yourself Chennai and I grind my teeth. Chennai when I arrived here some 70 years back was Madras, beautiful Madras. There were huge tress yielding cool shade everywhere. Rains were regular even in summer. After a grueling morning, clouds would gather in abundance and cool the city with sharp showers. Dusty trees of the forenoon would be in full bloom and shining after their hearty dip in the evening shower. They would smell sweet too like a young couple sprayed to perfection with perfumes. And Chennai is a concrete jungle now. The smell of sweat pervades the city!
    Chennai doesn't even have the capacity to feel ashamed after hearing of your colourful place!
    Sri

4. Cheeniya

@shyamala1234

My dear Syamala
    If there is a video attached to this network, you would see that the first few lines of your feedback have brought a deep blush to my face fortunately shielded by my beard! You blush too much for your age, my daughter would often say! Thanks for all the nice things you have written which act as elixir on my aging mind. I don't know if what your writer-friends say about Wodehouse fans also reading serious stuff is true but I do so to counter the effect of his awesome humour. He does not crack jokes to make his writing humourous but his humour is inbuilt in his very narration. I have a deadly dislike for people cracking jokes with a preamble, 'Have you heard this joke?' and tell us a moth eaten one. When someone cracks a joke like that in the club, we all count 'one, two, three' and start laughing holding our sides. Sometimes the reaction to the joke is funnier than the joke itself!
    The depletion in the population of sparrows is the direct result of the human greed. We seem to think that we own the world and make it unlivable for all other living beings. But then it is how the Kali Yuga is expected to shape and end ultimately. Do you know that there were four avathars of God in the virtuous Satya Yuga against one for Kaliyugha. People who are quite conversant with avatars and the length of each yuga would say it is all perfectly proportionate. But I think that a visit to the earth during Kali would make God twiddle His fingers wondering where to start His cleaning operation!
    Bach is not a novelist. He is a messiah of the modern life. He is only pointing out that our lives have become totally flesh oriented. We talk of six pack bodies and girls with a 'oomph' Soul only means that which keeps us alive! Ashtavakra was a sage of Thretha Yuga with eight bends in his body and highly revered by sages and kings of his time. He was born with eight bends in his body but his level of knowledge made him highly respectable. Today we care more for our body than our soul. We do everything to keep our body young and glowing. This is where Bach comes in with his refreshing new look into our ancient system of values.
    Sr

5. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,

I am not aware of the eagles flying from Varanasi to chennai, but the sparrows - I can only sigh. A couple of days ago I read an article which said these little creatures are nearing extinction due to lack of emotional connect. The indifference of humans towards nature is one of the primary cause and they are also homeless. Where can they find place for their nest when most of the houses these days are in the size of a sparrow's nest?

And, thank you for introducing Richard Bach! I have added him to my to-read list -
    I have read the little excerpt again and again, marveling at what it conveys, trying to dive deeper into the context, trying to embrace the extraordinary!

Like always a nice write-up!

6. Cheeniya

@PushpavalliSrinivasan

Thank you for your very kind words about my Rambling.
    As you say, birds have tremendous capacity. Birds are the most brainy ones too though we call a dim-witted people as bird-brained. Men ought to feel jealous of birds which fly thousands of miles to the same spot like Vedanthangal to escape the deadly winter of their homes. We need Google route map even for short trivels! It is true that our mind travels faster than light but for what purpose? People take more care of their bodies than develop their minds. Even the best literates of today hardly use 10% of their brain. Our sages could perform all the wonders with their ability to tap their minds fully.
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

@Rajeni
    Thank you for your response.
    Those eagles from Varanasi have now joined the ranks of the legends. At least, I have had the pleasure of seeing them though it was not possible to confirm if they were from Varanasi or Gummidipoondi! No ornithologist including the famous Salim Ali ever tried to tag them and follow their movements. Sparrows! Thank God I was born when they were proliferating and active. It will be a great loss if the last of them flies out of this earth.
    Before you open your copy of Richard Bach, a word of caution from me. It is not a novel as the colour and shape of the cover would lead you to believe. It is a book that picks your mind and pricks your soul!
    sri

Rajeni likes this.
  8. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

I am all the more excited reading the Caution dear Sir. Thanks for Cautioning me!!

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri Sir
    The moment I read Bach, I immediately thought of @Srama. I knew she would love this post and sure enough she did!

It is true that sparrows can never be eagles. There is another similar saying that dancing turkeys cannot be peacocks. (kaana mayilada kandirundha vaankozhi...)
    The problem is, you know that, I know that, but does the sparrow know that? :)

As for trying to understand the high end philosophy, I fail like the sparrow sir. I am not even going to pretend I understood it.

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

What a delightful thread this is! You are like Brahmaputra River (If Brahma is capable of creating a life at will, Brahmaputra should have enormous powers) that could change course in a few minutes. You can be humorous in a few threads and could be dangerously spiritual in another. You remind me of Kalaivanar N.S.Krishnan who made everyone laugh but think about what he said for a long time. This thread makes one think for a long time. How do you write about Tram in Triplicane and your hairdressing experiencing and suddenly switch gears to get into such a serious discussion? I have to examine your fingers that type when I visit Chennai next time. That should have some special powers. Besides, I also imagine you as an Eagle that has clear vision of everything down below because of the altitude at which it flies (with clear ability to assimilate and express knowledge that you gained over 75 years of life) but at the same time, being very down to earth like a Sparrow that we find hard to see nowadays.

Law of attraction used to be defined earlier as "Opposite polls attract each other" and recently it has been changed as "like attracts like". When you write humorous threads, it brings humor in everyone and when you write spiritual threads, it brings the best spiritual feelings in everyone. Please don't blame me if my response is spiritual. The only exception to this rule is spouses. The man seeks patience and hence he is provided with wife who is perfectly capable of testing his patience and wife seeks perseverance and hence she is provided with a man who never yields anything.

I happened to see an English language French movie named "Lucy" release in 2014. My son gave me rave review about the movie and rightly so this movie generated over $460 million when it was produced in $40 million budget. An American woman get caught as a drug mule in Taipei, Taiwan and the drug cartel sew a bag full of CPH4 (a synthetic drug) (a highly volatile substance that pregnant women produce for the welfare of fetuses). A guy kicks her in the stomach resulting in that drug releasing inside her stomach. She realized her cerebral capacity enhanced significantly resulting in her appearing and disappearing instantly at places, teleporting herself at will, extracting data from someone's brain by just touching that person and so on. Eventually, she becomes immortal spreading herself into a thin air. Our Cerebral power is enormous and it is my understanding we end up using only 10% of that capacity. It has the potential to store enormous data and analyze them.

Our Mind has no borders, unlimited powers and is perfectly capable of experiencing things that we have never experienced before. We limit ourselves to the human mind (body conscious mind) and above that there are higher mind (related to thought consciousness with no limits and transcends the five elements), illuminated mind (related to current in the body as it is a generator) and Over Mind (achieving totality). May be that is why Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam asked us all to dream more and Dr.MLK Jr made the famous talk, "I have a dream". There are three elements that has the potential to change the course of our lives and they are a) Ability to have a noble thought, b) empower that thought with enormous amount of energy through our will power and c) execute that thought drawing energy around us through our attitude.

There is a mystic in each one of us and the only difference is those perfected souls (Siddhas) in Thiruvannamalai have explored that and we haven't. They have traveled over the mind and explored things above the mind. We are limiting ourselves within a border that we are comfortable with. We have to stop analyzing the Super Power rationally through our limited cerebral capacity. Ideal situation is to have the vision of an Eagle (broader vision for the well-being of the society) and simplicity of the sparrow (humility of a small bird). Showing its place to the shadow (Ego) that thinks the achievements are individual's cerebral performance is important. It is empowered by the energy that is assigned to our will power and actions generated by our Free will by a Super Power. It is all about aligning our Free Will with that of the mission of the Super Power.

The mystics spend most of their time exploring something that they had never been before while a person like me is exploring my five senses even today despite all the rich knowledge available from the teachings of the learned people and despite seeing the Mystics who demonstrate how life has to be experienced.

Conclusion: We don't have to pretend to fly high (pomp and show) and when we really fly high due to noble thinking, will power and ability to execute a good action, we need to remain like a simple sparrow (achieve humility) in order to be an extraordinary soul.

Viswa

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    shyamala1234 and Rajeni like this.