1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Sparrow And The Eagle

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The Sparrow and the Eagle

There is a saying in Tamil that however high a sparrow tries to fly, it cannot become an eagle. I know, I know. You are going to tell me ‘Elementary, my dear Watson!’. No one would contest it even if he is not an ornithologist. People who are in Chennai now would not understand what I am talking about because it is hard to see either of the birds these days. But people of my age group would know. The little sparrows would invade our houses in hundreds since they are vegetarians. The eagles would be circling in large groups at over 1000 feet and they had such keen vision that they would rush to the ground in seconds if they sighted a non vegetarian delicacy even from that great height. It was customary then to name anyone with keen vision particularly for food items as ‘eagle eyed’! There was even a pair of legendary eagles who were supposed to be reincarnation of two holy men which would come to a place not very far from Chennai for their food at noon from the temple priest there. They were believed to fly from Varanasi every day after they had their holy dip in the Ganga. I have also seen this feeding ceremony a couple of times. They have stopped coming now for whatever reason.

I have heard people calling this daily visit of two eagles from Varanasi to close to Chennai as utter non-sense! They have not probably heard of a bird called godwit which has been seen to fly 11000 kms nonstop from one end of the world to the other. This is a scientifically verified fact. Mind you, these birds are not huge beasts of power like the modern transpacific jets but live birds that measure some fifteen inches and weigh much less than half a kilogram! Don’t say you won’t believe it because ornithologists have labelled them and proved their flying capability. Their flying time for 11000 kms is roughly 8 days nonstop! Nonstop, mind you!

For all I know this godwit bird can as well play the hero in Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach. Richard probably selected a seagull as the hero of his epic probably because it is one of the slowest birds flying between 20 and 40 kilometers per hour. His idea was to establish the power of mind over matter and this power ultimately enables the seagull to fly faster than its thoughts! You know what I mean. You think of the place anywhere in the world and you are there already! The lesson that Jonathan learns from his guru is ‘You will begin to touch heaven, Jonathan, in the moment that you touch perfect speed. And that isn’t flying a thousand miles an hour, or a million, or flying at the speed of light. Because any number is a limit and perfection doesn’t have limits. Perfect speed, my son, is being there.’ An amazing book that helped me to see how I have so far cowered my life at snail’s speed!

I have heard that some yogis in Thiruvannamali, a high place of mysticism, can be seen at a dozen places simultaneously. When I heard it first, I laughed heartily but not anymore. Richard Bach’s seagull has opened my eyes. We look at speeds at the rate at which a train moves or a plan flies. We keep looking at speed as a physical entity outwardly. But the speed that the human mind can conceive is faster than light. But we are not interested in such speeds! We keep looking at our watch to see when we’ll reach home that being our ultimate goal! We read the seagull story once again and jot down a few quotes for our next blog. Who understands Richard Bach better than me, we pride ourselves!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    LakshmiKMBhat, Rajeni, SunPa and 5 others like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya sir,

Getting back to Triplicane is not a difficult job. You could be there while also flying with the godwits. All you need to do is order the mind "Onward to Triplicane!" I do that very often these days. My body is at my address in Bangalore. My mind is very vividly in Pune with the people I loved so dearly in the areas which were my favourite haunts. Yudhishthara was a smart guy and had his answer ready at hand when the yaksha asked him what travelled faster than light. He said it then, we experience it now and appreciate the truth of his words.

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya sir,

Just reading the excerpt from the book gave a chill own my spine sir! I am not sure why or how this book and the other book touch me so deeply. I have been itching to read Illusions for a couple of months now, yes a couple of months and I don't know why I am not doing it. While you may be better at humor, I do have to confess your blog has come very at the right time for me. I don't know why Bach chose a seagull but have you seen those birds? I never tire of them, just watching them. Imagine reading! phew! I know I know it is not about the birds but sir recently I was at a beach (yes, not an easy thing that can happen in the parts of the world I live in!) and all I did was look at these birds for hours together.

Talking of eagles and sparrows, fascinating information you have provided. We may think we know almost everything but there are so many unsolved mysteries :biggrin: Just watching a flock fly in one direction or the other has me glued skywards taking me to la la land! You know recently there was an article which said "Sparrows nearing extinction due to lack of emotional connect", says a conservationist. We don't need a conservationist to say that, simple observation in our daily lives can teach us so much. Eagles are fascinating and their nests! So much to observe, learn and love I tell you.

Your mind indeed is wandering sir but I did notice that it stayed put with birds :) I am glad you posted this. Thank you sir.

4. Cheeniya

@satchitananda

My dear satchi
    Thanks a lot for your quick response. When I posted this, I thought it would never see the light of day. It was like a comedian playing a serious role! They say that whatever travels faster than light shortens time. It is like saying that I started yesterday and arrived at my destination day before yesterday. I guess the idea of Time Machine is based on the concept of travelling faster than light. Yudhishtra had all the answers for all the questions. When he was in his school (gurukulam), his teacher must have been feeling mighty bored with him. I had a classmate who would raise his hands for all the questions put to the class. We used to avoid him like poison!
    Sri

satchitananda likes this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Reminds me of a limerick, CS.

There was a physicist named Wright
    Who travelled much faster than light
    He set off one day in a relative way
    And returned the previous night

Rajeni likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

@Srama
    My dear Srama
    I really wanted to dedicate this blog to you knowing your devotion for Richard Bach. I am no less of a fan of his than you which would mean including myself too in the dedication. Knowing it would be silly to dedicate what I write to myself I gave up the idea.
    Why Bach chose a seagull as his bird of choice? It may be because he had been seeing them lazing on their wings day in and day out. He would thought that any lesson in achieving great speeds would be most apt in the case of a slow bird like seagull. If you look closely and intently at a seagull, you can almost see their speculative nature. And the contrast between the beginning and end of his flying lesson is mind boggling.
    I was saddened by the experts predicting extinction of sparrows. I am further saddened to hear that roaches would survive even nuclear holocaust! It will be futile to start a nuclear war just to get rid of roaches but if there is a way to save the sparrows, we must go all out for it.
    Sri

Srama and satchitananda like this.
  7. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

For the skeptics:
    The flying prowess of the wandering albatross has been well documented.
    "Trips of 15,200 km or flights around the world in 46 days have been reported for wandering albatrosses (Diomedea exulans)"
    Here is the first paper on the satellite tracking data.
    Here is a paper reporting circumnavigation of the globe in 46 days, almost twice as fast as Phileas Fogg.
    These birds seem to do it at next to no mechanical energy cost. Here is a paper that investigates how.

vaidehi71 likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

There is another one for you on a different level!

A scientist living at Staines
    Is searching with infinite pains
    For a new type of sound
    Which he hopes, when it's found,
    Will travel much faster than planes.

satchitananda likes this.
  9. Cheeniya

Dear sokanasanah
    I am grateful to you for the three references given. I am not an ornithologist but I love hearing and reading about birds. Birds are the greatest examples of how men can conquer the space! And also of endurance!
    Sri

10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Of course I know how much you enjoy Richard Bach sir! You know I am grinning ear to ear that you thought of me as wrote about Bach. As a fellow fan, I am sure you will agree if I say we should simply dedicate to the man himself! You know I forgot to mention in my previous response that spring seems to have arrived early and as I write, all I hear is birds chirping. A peek outside shows me the splendid beauty of nature - you know the trees in bloom, the green grass, the daffodils and I can't wait to have my pond up and running. You know why? Yes for all those sparrows and birds that come to get a drink and play in the gently flowing water. Am I glad for just windows on this side of my house or what! Like I said sir, your post is very timely for me :)