The Solar System – Belts, Tails, Showers – Part 1

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by kkrish, Apr 1, 2019.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

The article is now corrected. Thanks to the moderator.

Also credit to the information sources: NASA, Universe Today, Space.com, and many others.

Gauri03 and satchitananda like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamala,

I am not only overwhelmed with the wealth of information you have provided but also by your classic style of writing that makes someone as ignorant as I am to understand most part, if not all. You are definitely a gifted teacher by nature.

Every orbit appears to convey some rich knowledge to us including a nucleus. The doughnut is so beautiful that no one would try to satiate their appetite.

When I see the risk associated with asteroids crashing into our beautiful plannet, I begin to wonder whether the doughnut of asteroids were created to protect 8 planets from something much more catastrophic.

kkrish likes this.
  3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @Viswamitra
    To be called a gifted teacher is the highest compliment I can get. Teaching is the most noble profession till date, in my opinion.

True.
    We have not even begun to scrape the top of the all that knowledge that be it the planet, star, or the nucleus, or the photon, or the hypothetical tachyon. It is humbling to realize how little we know and how insignificant we are in the grand scheme of things.

I agree with your philosophical thinking! Yes, the asteroids could be absorbing a lot of the interstellar impacts and protecting us.
    However, it is Jupiter and Saturn that are our major protectors followed by Uranus and Neptune, due to their very strong gravity that take the brunt of most of the interstellar impact.
    Jupiter and Mars together also protect our Earth. Both the planets gravity, each pulling the asteroids towards them, keep the asteroids in the belt.

My philosophical take from all this is despite the mind-boggling precision of the celestial arrangement, every now and then an asteroid escapes and comes to visit Earth.
    Therefore there is no such thing as perfection in the universe. Adversities exist. Accepting that fact makes it easy to face the ups and downs of life.

Your feedback made my brain think from a different angle. Thanks a lot for that.

Viswamitra and satchitananda like this.