The Significance of SOUND in Hindu Culture

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Sudha, you hit the nail on the head !

Your last sentence says it all in a nutshell !
    Please remember that what I am writing is a " tiny weeny" miniscule part of the significance of sound.
    My knowledge is also a drop of water in the whole ocean. Well, my eagerness to share what I know, is like the big ocean !
    Thankyou for the response.
    Keep them coming is my request !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Nadham, ganam,

and your pallavi:) Excellent!
    Chitra, Thursdays have taken a special hue. I look forward to reading your information filled and neatly composed articles. Today's article on sounds and the significance of Mantra Shastra was brilliant. Many of us have heard about the effects of chantings and music on mind and body and somehow such details then get lost in the daily buzz. Nice that you have brought this to our attention and a ringing of a bell or a Shanti Mantra will now always remind me of you!
    Love and regards,
    Kamla

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2006
  3. Chitvish

Kamla, I can now boast to Sridhar !

If it is " Saturday with Varalotti", it will be " Thursday with Chithra" - ha ha ha.
    Probably next Thursday, I may be off line - I plan to go to Madurai to see my mother.
    I did window shopping for veda C D s - first I suggest you buy Rudram & Chamakam with some Sukthas by Prakash Kaushik, a famous sanskrit scholar.
    It is is released by " sa re sa ma".
    We have 24 hour world satellite radio in Chennai. They give us more than 40 channels round the clock ! Thet are Moksha ( Devotional music), Shruti ( S I classical ), Gandharv ( N I classical), Thara ( Bengali), R M radio ( malayalam)
    besides old & new hindi film music, tamil film music, Sathya Sai's Prashanthi channel......the list is endless ! I switch on at 6 A M & tune different channels right through the day. As a result, I have no time to nag V or argue with him etc !!! There is always music in the house & I experience the change it makes in our lives ! It is unvelievable - the soothing sound of music ! That inspired me to write on Sound, to tell you frankly.
    Thanks for the F B .
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

everyday with Mrs C

Dear Mrs C,

Actually, it is every day of the week with Mrs C for shruti boxes like me who are tuned in to recipes, pooja formats, shlokas and significant features.

Cheers
    Vidya

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  5. Chitvish

Why did you edit the message, Vidya ??!!

We do need shruti boxes for our " adara shruti", without fail !
    I repeat my friend Sridhar's words:
    "There is only one thing I insist from you. Read this and just pour out your feelings. I can withstand nerve-racking criticism. I can bear a shower of brick-bats from you. But I will wilt away in indifference. An angry response is almost a turn-on for me, but lack of response will take the life out of my writing."
    What he wrote holds good for me as well. Whatever be the forum - feedbacks are an essential part & give us the much needed " push" to put more & more effort !
    So my friend, shruti box is the key to my success !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear MsC,

A wonderful piece . If only we could go back to chanting vedic matras to heal and rid the body of disease, i think we will be a lot better off than taking a lot of these " tablets" , for every ailment.

I love listening to the chanting of " aum" , it does bring calm and peace to oneself. Cant wait for next thursday !!

Vandhana

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Thanks

Dear Chitra,

That's so nice of you. How do you even remember everyone's needs and attend to it! I shall make a note of the CD and the names.

It is one thing that such nice selection of music is available at the click of the button. But it is another thing to recognise it and take the full advantage and enjoy the fare. Once again, the beauty is in the discerning audience, which you undoubtedly are:) Surely, there must be music in your every move and I am sure Mr V has recognised it long ago, though he may not show it:)

L, Kamla

8. SuBa

SuBa Senior IL'ite

Dear Mrs.Chithra
    Right now am listening to Rudram and you can understand how much am appreciating it after your write-up on "Sounds".Its the "Sweetest" post by far from you .As you said,its a difficult task to convey the significance especially of our "Indian culture" in a short and sweet way and also making sure you leave nothing out.Your hardwork turns out to be a very rewarding experience for us every thursday providing the nourishment for our much-starved souls.
    The first thing i do every morning is slip on a devotional cd like "Rudram" and "Ohm" and it puts us both in the right frame of mind even before the day begins.
    Coming to the "Sounds",it proved to be very beneficial in making me understand the simplest of things like ringing the bell.The slokam you have written - can i chant it and when?
    As always thank you,Mrs.C.

Love
    Suba

9. Priya Amarnath

Priya Amarnath Bronze IL'ite

Wonderful explanation

Dear Chithra

Just now read ur posting about "SOUND", its just wonderful. I enjoyed reading this week's post. It brings light into many things which we r totally unaware. I liked the slokam which u have quoted for ringing the bell. I was aware that the water in the kalasham is sacred, but with ur explanation I understood the affect the veda mantram brings to it, very well written, Chithra.

Eagerly waiting for next week's post.

Love and Regards
    Priya

10. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Yet another wonderful piece Mrs C,

This week is music to our ears. I never knew that mantras could have this kind of an effect on sick people. With the modern day advancement everything seem to vanish and we do pay a price for it. I think you presented it very well. After reading it I already feel that I have some positive energy in me. Thanks and will wait eagerly for next Thur.

Love,