The Significance of Pradakshinam.

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Apr 12, 2007.

1. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

chithra madam

Thank you for giving the importance and the procedure and process to do pradakshinam. When ever I read your posts I learn a lot of new things. Like in this one I learnt about how to do namaskaram to the dieties in temple and at home. How we are not supposed to show our back to god.

thanks again for imparting us this knowledge

2. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the informative post.
    I never even thought that pradakshinam was with the intention of having God to the right.
    I thought it was some rule formed in temples to direct the crowd so that they don't clash. Entry and Exit like thing ! What a fool was I !!

3. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra mam,

What a nice explanation. I never knew you should not do namaskaram facing south. That means if you stand on the left side of dwaja sthambam and prostrate , it becomes doing namaskaram facing south side. How ignorant I was, I used to do that many times, without knowing that doing namaskaram facing south is for pitrukal. Thanks for enlightening on such nuances , which are aplenty in our culture and tradition. I need to learn a lot more by reading all your threads which I have missed earlier.

Thanks mam.

4. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

dear maami,

happened to read this thread only today. very informative. thanx for sharing.

5. auserid8

auserid8 Senior IL'ite

Hello Chitra aunty,

I just happened to read through the religious post after a really long time.Thanks for the information posted on Pradakshinam. I was just curious about doing Pradakshinams for Navagruha. Generally I do 9 pradakshinams on saturday. I was told long back that you dont do Pradakshinams for Navagruha on certain days.Is this true? To avoid this confusion I do 3 on other days.

And also as you said doing namaskarams for another GOD we might end up facing our back to another.I was told by one of our friends that doing namaskaram near the kodi maram is better/good.Also standing next to your husband's right(if he comes along) and doing it together is also good.

Regards
    Vanitha

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I do not know any such rules honestly! You can do 9 anyday or everyday - nothing wrong.
    Love,
    Cithra.

7. vian

vian Senior IL'ite

Even I was told that we should do pradakshinams for Navagraham on Fridays. I am not sure of the reason but till now I follow that. Anyone knows the reason for that..please share it.

8. Meenasri

Meenasri Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitvish,

Such an enlightening & informative post, thank you so much ! so many days i didnt know why we were doing the self Chuttal :) Now it makes sense !

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  9. Vaishnave

Vaishnave Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitvish,

Thank u for the information...

Yeah , even I followed what my mother told me to do ..just going round the praharam 3 times, 5 times, 9 times, etc.. now got the information for wat i was doing....thank u ..

And one more doubt...

Why do we cirumbulate during Pradhosham till the place where the abhishekam water comes and then goes back again...I mean we dont complete one full round during the pradhosham...Please throw a light on this matter...

Thanks in advance.

Vaishnave

10. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hi, I am not learned enough or competent to answer this query, sorry.
    love,
    Chithra.