The Significance of Pradakshinam.

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Apr 12, 2007.

1. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

hi chith,
    the significance of pradakshinam is really great.
    now atleast we know the proper meanin of wat we are doin.
    thanks
    luv
    pavi

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

3. mui kanva

mui kanva Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitvish mam
    Thanks again for this beautiful explanation.. (I am sorry I am digging up on threads that were started long back..., yet very interesting and informative)

I never knew the reason of why we come as pradhakshanam..after reading your explanation, I have got some light on this topic.. but I have something to ask you..

In some temples, esp in Karnataka, I have seen women dont come around the deity as pradhakshanam but they just turn around themselves.. and also they go 6 pradhakshanams clockwise and 3 anti clockwise in the navagraham. I am still not clear about this..

If they just turn around by themselves, its just that they are having only the paramathma within them as the center point of attention. May be it equally holds good..

And similarly, for the second one, when the person is to the right of the deity,they face each other and when the person is to the left of the deity they face the same direction and in the navagraha locations, for three deities it will not hold true..

Wotever mam, this is just a guess from me and would like to know the actual reason for this practise, which is not common with all Hindus and only with people in Karnataka (I have only seen them doing this)..

4. Chitvish

Dear MK,
    Going round oneself is called Athmapradakshinam. But in temple, we rarely do it; it is done more at home!
    The Navagraha Pradakshinam method is new to me. In TN, we do pradakshinam 9 times to Navagraha, each for one.
    May be it is a Karnataka custom.
    You are welcome to dig up old threads & read them.That only shows your interest in our culture.
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. geetabhaskar

geetabhaskar Senior IL'ite

Hello Chitra Madam,

This post is very informative. Generally we do pradakshinams without knowing the signifacance of it. Now after reading this post I have known and I will pass on this
    knowledge to my children. Thanks a lot.

With Love,

Geeta Bhaskar

6. Chitvish

Dear Geetha,
    Thanks. The children must be educated ion the right way about our culture & tradition. It is very important!
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. shanthi ramanathan

shanthi ramanathan New IL'ite

Dear Chitra Mami

Today I just opened and happened to see this site . The information on signifciance of pradakshinam was very good and has made clear the small doubts. One thing I wanted to ask is in some temples there are no spaces to do pradakshinams as only front and side wall are there .The other corner where the deity is kept are closed . In that circumstances what can be done . Is atmapradakshinam sufficient.

One more guidance I have taken from you is that to achieve any boons we should not put money in hundi and instead we should exert oursleves by doing pradikshinams. My daughter who is in VII writes Sri rama jayam to achieve the small boons like getting godd marks in exam etc,etc,(she will pray that one page I will write or two pages I will write ) Is it also good or not.

Thanks and Bye
    Shanthi

8. Chitvish

Dear Shanti,
    If there is no space, just leave it! I do not know if athmapradakshinam can be done in temple.
    Encourage your daughter
    BUT make sure she loves doing it and just not do it for a favour to be granted. In that case, entire charm is lost & a bad lesson is learnt!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. babu

babu Silver IL'ite

Dear chithra ji..

The earth and other planets orbits the sun counterclockwise. The earth also rotates counterclockwise on its axis. How then we are doing pradakshinam on a clockwise direction. Is it not that we actually are doing apradakshinam? Can any one explain?

query from iyer123

babs

10. babymama

babymama New IL'ite

Shlokas

Dear Chitra Madam,
    I am a new entrant to this forum but I read very keenly all your advise and shlokas. This Thread touched a Chord and hence I write.

We am in the US and we just had a baby, my husband is being laid off and is looking for last 3 months with no success
    Its very emotionally and financailly tough times and I was looking for any shlokas in particular to remedy the situation.

Thank you for reading
    Sudha