The significance of Naivedyam

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Dec 7, 2006.

1. meenakrishnan

meenakrishnan Bronze IL'ite

Good Going

Hi Chitra,
    :) I am a newcomer.I am enjoying your posts right now.Good going...keep it up..meena

2. saranya.27

saranya.27 New IL'ite

I have numerous queries after joining Indus ladies. This website made the white and grey matter in my brain work.
    So here is the thing. I live in Singapore. Unlike India I dont have a maid to assist me in my household chores. Every morning before performing a puja I like to clean my house and then offer my prayers to god. Having read Satchritra I believe that one must first offer food to god and then eat.

Its not possible for me because as soon as I wake up I have to make the breakfast for my hubby and also do the other work. I feel very hungry in the midst of my work and feel like joining my husband for breakfast but I have this guilt conscious building up everytime I eat before a pooja which is stressing me a lot.

I am struggling to find a solution between ego and devotion to god.
    My question is why cant i eat and do the pooja. Once my stomach is filled I can concentrate on my prayer and do it for a long time.

Help me please...none of my queries are being answered, I hope to see answer to this one. :)

regards,
    Saranya.

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Saranya,
    YEs, yes & yes,.
    Please rest assured that all, note, ALL rules are man-made. The attitude of devotion and total surrender, is the only important criterion. You can perform all religious routine when you are totally relaxed because your concentration will be high only then!!
    Please do not worry or complain that none of your queries are answered. Unless one knows the answers correctly & fully, one cannot & should not answer for fear of guiding you wrong.
    Pray to God intensely - answers will start arriving in life!
    All the best.
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. saranya.27

saranya.27 New IL'ite

Thanks a ton chitraji. I am a very big fan of yours. I have been reading all your posts and love all of them.
    My intention was not to point out that my queries are not being answered, rather i felt that I was asking silly questions. You have given a new dimension to my thought - that people might not be sure abt their answers hence not answering my queries.

Thanks a lot again :thankyou2:
    I hope to expand my knowledge abt our hindu culture through your posts.

Regards,
    Saranya.

5. raginisekar

raginisekar Guest

Re: Annam Aatma Paripaalanam

dear vmur
    i entirely enjoyed your explanation on our s.i. food. can you equate our banana leaf spread of food to the food pyramid.
    luv
    raginisekar

6. raginisekar

raginisekar Guest

dear chitra
    what a lovely post on naivedyam. the slokas and meaning are touching and explains the richness of our culture. thank you
    luv raginisekar

7. KalyaniBhaskar

KalyaniBhaskar Bronze IL'ite

Hi Saranya,

If I can give you my suggestion, the answer lies in Sacharitra.
    Remember the Divine power in what so ever form (or formless) with love, whole heartdly before you partake food. That itself is a Yagna in the highest thinking and that is the hidden message in Sacharitra.

FYI, some more I can give.. Refer Gita. The Gitacharya says -

From Bhagavad Gita 4.24 and 15.14
    Brahmaarpanam Brahma Havir
    Brahmaagnau Brahmanaa Hutam
    Brahmaiva Tena Gantavyam
    Brahma Karma Samaadhinaha

[This is 24th verse from the 4th chapter of Bhagavad Geetha] The act of offering is Brahman. The offering itself is Brahman. The offering is done by Brahman in the sacred fire which is Brahman. He alone attains Brahman who, in all actions, is fully absorbed in Brahman. (As we chant this prayer we are offering the different types of food to Brahman).

Saranya, This is exactly the reason I called it a yagna.

Aham Vaishvaanaro Bhutva
    Praaninaam Dehamaashritha
    Praanaapaana Samaa Yuktaha
    Pachaamyannam Chatur Vidam
    [This is 14th verse from the 15th chapter of Bhagavad Geetha] This sloka is a sort of acknowledgement and assurance to us from Brahman. "I am Vaishnavara, existing as fire God in the bodies of living beings. Being associated with ingoing (prana) and outgoing (apaana) life breaths, I will digest all the four different types of food (that which we bite and chew; that which we masticate with the tongue; those which we gulp; that which we swallow) and purify them."

Better feed your belly when you are too hungry else, the mind cannot concentrate. (again sacharitra).

So, GOD IS LOVE. There are many parables/stories to support this.

Does this convince you, dear saranya?

my 2 cents.
    Kalyani

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  8. sowmyaganesh

sowmyaganesh Senior IL'ite

Re: Hello Meena !

Chitra Mami

Thank a lot for your explanation and slokas to be chanted while Naivedyam. I usually offer raisins as Naivedyam. From now on will say "Krishnarpanam" after cooking.

Regards

9. saranya.27

saranya.27 New IL'ite

Dear Kalyani,
    Thanks a lot for the detailed and justified explanation.
    I am a person who cannot withstand hunger...so prior to marriage i was pretty cool abt it as my mom wud do the daily puja.
    Now after getting married I have the responsibilty to do puja daily. Personally I felt that my hunger is obstructing my way to concetrate in my prayer thus stopping me from spiritual growth.
    After reading your message I am relaxed. I may sound weird to some....but I am happy that my doubt is cleared.

Thankyou.
    Saranya.

10. Victoryman

Victoryman Senior IL'ite

Excelling post.Beautiful explanation.

Cheers!!