1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Sardar With Balls

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

The Sardar with Balls

We have a private Billiard House here,run by a Sardar called Manvinder Singh,called Mann Saab by all of us.He is around 60,and runs a very successful Billiards and Snooker Tables,and most of Jaipur guys go to play at his place.

I have known for more than 20 years,as I these days occassionally play there.The other day,passing his place ,dropped by to say hello to him,and to the other cronies half my age.He is a very gracious person,a thorough gentleman,and offered me Cold drink from his stable for free(he charges everyone for tea and cold drinks but me),and we caught up with our lives.I must be the oldest among his chelas,we have grown up married children, so we have a lot in common.

This guy is a class apart.His brothers live in Delhi and he gets Chicken legs in wholesale from there whenver he goes there.And he says"Kamalji, every night,i need one katori of Dal,two chappatis,and one piece of Chikan fried."This Sardar dosnt drink or smoke.His fridge is stuffed with all sorts of Non Veg,bcs every Sunday he goes and gets Fish Chicken,and Mutton for the whole Week.He has invited my wife and me many a times for a Dinner,but my wife is petrified of eating at his house,as she is a pur Veg,and she knows his habits.

Maan tells me u are stupid to buy these branded icecreams.He says come with me, I will get u unbranded 5 litre icereceams at a fraction,we get a few 5 litre flavours he says,and eat to our hearts contents.Maan was telling me a very interesting tale, of his mother's death.His mother died suddenly,so for 12 days, they had no meat ,and surprisingly no icecream(maybe the Sardars dont eat icereams druing the 12 days).On the 13th day, the elders yelled for Meat,so all the meat from the Fridge came out,a little Stale,but Maan Saab dosnt waste anything,so they made a face and ate it.

The kids yelled for the Icecream.Sardarji served it, it had turned stale too,and a little Salty as he said,God knows,but they managed to finish it off,without anyone getting sick.I was listening to all this with a very straight face.

He is very fond of attending marriages and functions.His attendance rate is 99.99% to the cards received.Whenever we meet at a wedding,he makes it a point to show me what he is eating.He will eat a little of everything,his plate dotted with small pieces of this and that.My habit is to choose just one Veg,one Roti or nan,and thats it.I dont like to mix too many things.Maansaab will tell me see kamalji u must taste all.u know here this is good and that is good.Guy likes to Gorge on his food.And with a wink he tells me,Kamalji,i always give 101/- envellope,and u know me and wife eat,its a good deal.If we were to eat this in an ordinary restaurant also,u know we would pay not less than 500 Rupees.So this is a good bargain,and we get to meet people too.Smart Sardarji this.

And he is impecabbly dressed always with Pagris of various colours.God knows he must be having the biggest collection of them,at least a few hundred colours.Once he told me, u have left over fabrics in yr factory,can u give me some small pieces for cleaning the billiard tables.I supect he may be using them for his pagris,though honestly i havnt seen one on his head.But then whoknows, I dont go there often.Because Billiards Tables have Balls in play, we call him " The Sardar with Balls".I hope u guys and gals did not think otherwise !

KAMAL MAHTANI