1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Rocking Chair

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by manjukps, Apr 12, 2013.

1. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

It has been a week now since I had come from Madurai after attending 60 th birthday (sashtiapthapoorthi) of my second uncle (maama). Enjoyed the function to the core as a family get-together at my first uncle's home. Still my mind is just there pondering over..... Well not the function really. It was the rocking chair occupying my mind and brain. What is so special ? You would ask. Now you could see the white line spiraling in front of my face just before the flashback like in movies. Rewinding my memory just over thirty years.:spin

My first uncle's home is the permanent holiday destination year after year for me and my two younger brothers. We didn't even know any other destination existed till my maternal grandpa was transferred to Madras then. As far as I could remember that rocking chair was bought when my uncle was at Simmakkal at Madurai. It was a kind of row house with verandah, where the chair was placed. We were excited with the addition. At that time my uncle had two daughters, all younger to me, other uncles not married. That chair became our holiday spot in the destination. Always there had been petty fights between us as to who sits in that chair. My mom or maami will settle our dispute calming us to take turns allotting time to each of us. Other than one sitting in the chair all others will keep watching the clock not letting even a single minute extra. :rant As we could not wait so patiently for our next turn we chalked a plan of two could sit together at the same time, so that waiting time for the rest reduced. Since we were odd in number the 5th one will pair with 1st one and the 2nd with 3rd for the next round. Next was the strategic planning of who is 1, 2 and so on. One day it will be of young to old, one day old to young, then boys first, then girls first. We must have tried all the permutation and combination which would have taken half a day everyday. :confused2: Years rolled. We got one more baby cousin (third daughter of my uncle). My uncle had moved to an independent house with even bigger verandah. We grew older. My brothers were getting obsessed pretending to be driver and conductor. We came to terms, that everybody will sit together, as if the rocking chair was bus, my brothers as driver and conductor, rest of us as passengers along with two more maternal cousins of my cousins. We traveled footboard. Only both my brothers took the role of being conductor and driver, where driver had the privilege of sitting and the conductor standing at the horizontal rod at the back of the chair. We girls never fought for the seat during bus game as always bus driving was considered as boy sport and we girls always adorned the role of passengers. :cool2:The conductor and one passenger will keep rocking the chair. We had got hurt during our play, but the rocking chair always kept us together. Fast forward six to ten years. After we shifted to Madras from Thirunelveli in 80s our trip to Madurai got reduced. But when I got chance I spent hours rocking in that chair reading books and sleeping while reading, which gave me the luxury of being in mother's lap.

Fast forward to present. This trip! I missed my brothers and cousins (all settled in different parts of US) except one, who is still in Madurai as a lecturer. Of course, other two young cousins - daughters of hero of the function were present.

I felt a pain ran through my heart when I saw the chair dumped at a corner for want of space as all other furniture of living room had to find space there. I know it will come back to its position once the normal arrangement restores. The whole of last week I have been feeling the lullaby of rocking sound of the chair, providing me soothing memories of togetherness.:)

7 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Reserving this for my first fb

1 person likes this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Enjoyed reading your post and felt as if I was also there with you, so was your superb narration. I can understand how much you must have enjoyed in the Rocking Chair. In olden days every house had a Rocking Chair like how they used to have Oonjal. Thanks for the wonderful post

1 person likes this.
  4. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Super quick reservation for first FB and I was waiting to get your FB. Happy to know that you enjoyed. Thank you for your appreciation. Seeing that chair this time, I longed for that togetherness but none to be blamed. It is the way of life. Isn't it?

Regards
    Manjukps

1 person likes this.
  5. jass347

jass347 Bronze IL'ite

u took even all of us to ur rocking chair journey......
    i enjoyed ur ride.....

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

So beautifully narrated.. one can easily sense all the good memories behind the rocking chair.. also understand how you felt when it was put away in a corner.. enjoyed this narration and the special memory it holds in your life told so well thanks for sharing:)

7. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Thank you jass for your nice feedback.

Dear AC, thank you for your understating feedback. Yes it holds lot of good memories. The chair will be put back in its place, but we can't have the good old days again. But that is the way of life which we have to accept.

Regards
    Manjukps

8. rajinitk4

rajinitk4 IL Hall of Fame

beautiful narration felt as if I was experiencing all those emotions

1 person likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Manju,

Very well written snippet. Inanimate objects play a significant role in everyone of our life. It brings the pleasant memories of our precious relationship with our loved ones. Grandfather's walking stick, Grandmother's reading glass, dad's first gift of a tricycle, mom's first gift of barbie doll or teddy bear, etc. are etched permanently in our memories for our life time. Your rocking chair experience is the same.

Conceptually, our country is culturally different and has enormous amount of emotional attachment to many inanimate objects whether it is a old depleted house where our grandparents lived or a hand watch grandpa had. In the western culture, such attachment does not exist. The only reason for antics commanding respect among westerners is because of its monetary value. When we see Mahatma Gandhi's reading glass, it reminds us his simple life and personal sacrifices he made for the welfare of Indians.

Frankly, your recalling the pleasant memories with your brothers and cousins shows your tender heart that is filled with enormous love for them. Every time, I read something like this, it gives me a good feeling that this life is worth living.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  10. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Manju you have rocking thought of rocking chair.well narrated.

1 person likes this.