1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Rise And Fall Of Vedic Wisdom

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Jun 22, 2019.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

The Rise and Fall of Vedic Wisdom.

From the history books we know that Vedas and subsequently Upnishads were conceived and recorded thousands of years ago by our saints and sages though it is difficult to date them. The same is the case with Ramayana and Mahabharata. But what a great collection of wisdom indeed!!

It must be the sum and the substance of their experiences and observations through the years they lived.

People who came after them added their own and the process continued. There was little or no doubt and in case of any, the same was settled through meaningful civilized debates which were called Sashtrartha.

One thing, however, has changed- meaningful civilized debates. In the olden days, the rulers patronized and respected the religious heads, the Brahmins. They were known for their knowledge and understanding of religious texts and traditions and therefore respected by all not only in their own country but outside also. This was also because they were apolitical.

In spite of this, they could not stop the division in society. Jainism, Buddhism, and Sikhism were founded by the breakaway groups from Hinduism.

Present day discourse is likely to do more damage. The meaningful civilized debates have been overrun by an abusive culture. Religious preachers are divided into political lines. Some are in Government like Yogi Adityanath and Sakshi Maharaj and others are clamoring for lucrative posts. Political leaders are trying to show holier than though attitudes.

It is difficult for me to say if our present day spiritual Gurus like Sri Sri Ravi Shankar or Sad Guru or any other has added anything to the wisdom of our yesteryear saints and sages or not but, most certainly they have not been in a position to stay away from the controversy of political nature by supporting this or that political set up.

People are losing faith not only in them but also in whatever right or wrong interpretation they do of our religious texts. They do get huge crowds, some motivated, some mesmerized and some mobilized.

Now we live in a scientific age which largely believes in things visible to open eyes. Anything that does not meet the eye, does not exist. There are questions to be answered and the quest is on the rails. Intellectual class, by their logical upbringing, is not much impressed by spiritual talks and writings.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Hari Sir,

The debates between Adi Sankara and Mimamsa practitioners are very popular and we all hear of his famous debate with Mandana Misra and Ubhaya Bharati. Ubhaya Bharati wife of Mandana Misra remained as a judge for the debate between her husband Mandana Misra and Adi Sankara. She declared Adi Sanakra as a winner but challenged Adi Sankara to debate with her. She noticed that Adi Sankara was unbeatable.

Those kind of debates are for the well-being of the society and many scholars sat and listened to such debates for months. Now most of the Sanyasis are having their own organizational structure and give speeches to attract devotees to their fold. They can't claim that they have complete knowledge but have enough to attract attention from the society. They never debate with others and even if they do, no one is interested in listening. Mostly, the intention is to build a large organization and lead a life like a politician with big following. There are handful who still serve the community and continue to teach the Vedic principles to the children. There are schools in Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Karnataka and Tamilnadu still teaching Vedas to the children provided they are ready to go to a Gurukulam.

I am not sure whether such schools exist up North. Yes. Your title rise and fall of Vedic wisdom is apt.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. HariLakhera

Dear Viswa,
    Thanks for your valued comments. Sometimes, I wonder how could Shankara travel all parts of the country, establish four maths in the four corners of the country at Sringeri, Badrinath, Puri and Dwarka within a short span of time (he died at the age of 32) in those days when means of transport were just negligible. As you said, he debated and convinced people. That was the whole essence of religious preachings.
    Modern-day preachers are just mongers.

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  4. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hariji,

I just could not resist coming here.....'sri Sri and Sadguru talk in the language of the present gen,,meaning combining vedic wisdom with psychology as well as scientific findings....leaving aside their proximity to the power..absence/opp of which means trouble, taking the case of the Tamilnadu example of kanch math...if I am right. I am here inspite of my busy schedule today ji...FYI.:grinning:

vrikshakadali and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. HariLakhera

Thanks. Sadguru echoes the wisdom of Buddha in a way, who said don't go by what I say. Experience it.

6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:just After listening to sahasranamam in SAI channel till 7.30. AM I switched on to TTD channel and simultaneously opened your post. Amazed with your cogent points about preachers vs politicians and the clamour among monks and SAInts for political mileage.
    KANJI swamigal Jayendra before attaing moksha was drawn into politics appeared in court for cross examination and actively participated in debates and seminars that symbolised our culture and he was principle member in the committee of AYODHYA land dispute for construction of temple for Lord Rama.
    I read here the responses oz @Viswamitra and and it is all in-depth. Kudos to both of you.
    Thanks and regards.
    God is Varaha considered the best of Avathar.

7. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@HariLakhera Hinduism is a big and vast Vriksha .Roots are so deep in the Earth and it will last long for ever.In a banyan tree viluthugal in Tamil or Aerial roots in English are visible to us.Today's Hinduism preachers are like roots visible but they don't support the Vriksham only the Roots under earth support the tree .Belief in God gives step by step movement in Life.

8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Recently Prof Venkatakrishnan was talking about varaha Avatar.The naamavalis
    'Kritanthaanthakrit' and mahavaraho' occurring side by side in Vishnu sahasranamam speak highly of Varaha Avatar.Sankara's commentary is exemplary in this regard.
    Vedic Wisdom says" If you lead a life of devotion and are unable to think of God due to any disease,don't be worried. Varaaha Himself thinks about you and He becomes the devotee and thinks of Himself.He is not ordinary Varaha but mha Varaha.
    Sorry for diversion.
    Jayasala 42

9. HariLakhera

Vedas have survived for centuries not because of any patronage, political or otherwise but because of the wisdom contained in them. Most of our questions are replied in Gita. The problem is there are more prints of Gita available than readers. This is because a vast majority is still illiterate or have no time to read. These so called preachers are their only source and they exploit them.

Vaikuntha and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. HariLakhera

Yes, Mam. That is the only reason our Vedic wisdom has survived. I would be a little cautious about mixing them with Hinduism. It is because that vedic wisdom is the sum total of various cultures and religious beliefs. That is precisely the reason we cannot date them. Even in the olden days India was not a close country. People travelled to and fro - China, Greece, Iran and later Europe and learnt from each other. WE can say Vedic wisdom is a product of this inter mingling of different cultures. Gita has universal appeal because it talks in the language what every one can relate to.
    It is however true that Indian culture contributed a lot. And when I say Indian, I mean all Indians.

Thyagarajan and periamma like this.