The puzzle: do we distinguish men as being smarter???

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Megalife, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear Aspire
    Thank you for those awesome Fbs. Just to flavor the discussion a bit, will share something which I stumbled upon the net!
    A team of British researchers decided to answer the question “Are women really better at multi-tasking? “
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  2. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shanvy
    Great reply, a true debater style!
    ..I honestly am not a tool person, so attimes I have to be all awes and ohs when my DH handles the "fix stuff."

...cheers to that!
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  3. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi Vijima
    Missed yourcompany the last few days...welcome back! So you have added to the strength of the women side herein!
    Mega

4. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

I never felt my intelligence is anyway lower than men around me. I am good at maths, logical reasoning, problem solving, abstract thinking, etc. I can't multitask, when I work I shut down everything around me (have annoyed some people because of this nature of mine). Only multitasking I can do is snacking and watching TV, driving and listening to music...(may be something wrong with me).

I have been around really smart women as well, so don't think men are smarter than women. In my current work place; it's the woman who is the head of over 30 (men & women); needless to say that she is really smart.

One of the difference apart from physical strength (which is not a yardstick to determine superiority anymore) that I find men to be different is their risk taking. I play it safe most of the time, I only take risk if it's absolutely essential but my husband is really opposite. I don't know if this is a male/female difference or just a difference between me & my husband.

5. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sally
    Thanks for you views.
    I
    My observations have been mixed on this,I have seen cases where men have been successful and owe it up fully to their wives for pushing them to taking a big risk!Well may be it works differently for different indivi
    duals.
    Mega

6. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

Mega: I have always been intrigued by the subject of belief system/intelligence/smartness.

As a child my mother would refer to me as 'smart', but I quickly noticed that my parents refer to my elder sister as also 'smart'. In time, I did discover that most of the parents call their children smart (though found it had nothing to do with gender of the child). :)

But, I also have observed that all children/adults are not smart and that the so called smart ones sometimes are not smart enough in all situations/environment. If that were the case, we would have a world full of smart people - which is not the case.

Some of us are smart, but not as smart as we think, and others are smarter than they seem, which makes me wonder, how do we define smart?

What makes one person (men / women) smarter than another?

Do 'street smarts' matter more than 'book smarts'?

Can one be both smart and stupid? I believe so, many times one is :)

Is being smart more of a direct influence of genetics or one's situation/environment?

Is being more intelligent same as smarter? :)

7. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi Aspire
    ...you need an example in blood and flesh..."ME"!
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  8. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

You can add one more to that count ..."Me" also!

1 person likes this.
  9. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

You can count me in as well :)

Generally I would define smartness as having the ability to learn, retain information, solve problems, analytical & critical thinking, work skills (in their area of choice), ability to think outside the box and common sense.

2 people like this.
  10. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

Mega: By the way some more info based on conducted studies. You might want to see one of the recent study reports from Tinbergen Institute (TI) on how multitasking affects performance and whether women are indeed better at multitasking.

Their results do not support the stereotype that women are better at multitasking and mention that women suffer as much as men when forced to multitask and are actually less inclined to multitask when being free to choose.

Reference: Multitasking: Productivity Effects and Gender Differences

1 person likes this.