1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Price - Part 3

Discussion in 'The Price - Serial Story' started by varalotti, Jul 8, 2006.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

The Price

[FONT=&quot]- [/FONT]A Novelette By Varalotti Rengasamy

Part C

It was Raghavan’s birthday and he wanted to spend the evening with Vidya. He did not want to go the acting classes; he really wanted to avoid being with Reshma. But Reshma insisted that he should come to her apartment for a party where he could meet a cine-world celebrity.
    Raghavan went to her place with a trembling heart. Reshma greeted him with a hug and a kiss. The party was over and they were relaxing in the bed. The celebrity did not turn up.
    Raghavan was restless. He wanted to run away from everything. Just then Reshma silently slipped a ring into his hand. Raghavan was startled to find a sparkling diamond embedded on a well-crafted golden ring.
    “Dear, this is for your wife. Pass it on to her.”
    Raghavan looked askance at Reshma.
    “Very soon you will become a big celebrity, and your wife, a celebrity’s wife. This ring is my way of saying,’Welcome to the Club.’. When you present the ring to her, that would probably be the last moment of real happiness in her life. Life for her herafter will be riddled with complexities, betrayals, double-crossings, frustrations and failures.”
    Raghavan was shocked for a while but chose not to think in that direction.

Meanwhile Vidya was fretting and fuming in the house. She had been waiting for him since <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:time minute="30" hour="17">five thirty</st1:time> in the evening. Raghavan had promised to take her out for dinner that evening but had not turned up so far.
    When the phone rang Vidya was sure that it was only Raghavan calling her to apologise for the delay. She had already forgiven him and took the receiver with a smile saying,
    “It’s Okay. Tell me when will you come.”
    But she was shocked to hear a coarse male voice on the other end.
    “You are so trusting and that’s why it is very easy for Raghavan to cheat on you. Are you so naïve to believe his version that he had been working overtime? I tell you, he is having a nasty affair with an ugly creature. Take care, Dear. Ask a simple question: if he had been working overtime all these days what happened to the money? Then everything will come out.”
    Before Vidya could respond the line went dead. She was wide awake till one in the morning when Raghavan returned. First she wanted to confront him with the anonymous call. But then she decided against it.
    ‘After all it’s his birthday. I have lived with him for years. I know him well. Then why give credence to a faceless caller?’
    Seeing his wife with a cheerful countenance even at that odd hour Raghavan’s feelings of guilt overflowed. He hugged her and kissed her all the time apologising for messing up with the evening’s programme.
    He squarely blamed his boss who would not leave him early even on his birthday. Vidya thought of the question suggested by the anonymous caller – about the OT money.
    It was then Raghavan did something which made Vidya melt into tears.
    “Vidya dear, whatever money I earn we have been spending on regular items. I wanted to do something for you with my overtime money. Just my way of placing all my hardwork at your feet. So I didn’t give the money to you earlier. I accumulated all the money and today I went and bought this for you.”
    When Vidya saw that wonderful piece of diamond and gold she ran into Raghavan’s arms with violent sobs.
    Her happiness was not because of that expensive gift, but because the doubt planted in her mind by the anonymous caller had been so wonderfully cleared. She chided herself for suspecting her husband in the first place.

The next two days were fairly eventless. But on the third day as Raghavan was busy in his office there was a phone-call for him.
    “Stop fooling around with Reshma. You are playing with fire. The consequences could be disastrous.”
    The voice sounded like that of a local Dadha. Raghavan was shocked. He decided then and there to put an end to the ghastly affair.
    He decided not to go to the acting school either. But in the evening there was a call from Reshma. She asked him to meet her at the coffee-shop near the acting school in the evening. The matter was important and concerned with Raghavan’s acting career. Raghavan was confused but he did go.
    Reshma greeted him pleasantly and was talking about something holding his hand. A speeding car came to a screeching halt very close to them.
    A dark, muscular man dressed in jeans and a bright coloured wind-cheater got down from the car. He looked like a local don. Raghavan could not bear his intense stare. The don signalled to Reshma. They went a little away to discuss something serious. Raghavan did not know what to do.
    When Reshma returned after a few minutes Raghavan could see tears in her eyes which were ready to fall any time. They walked in to the coffee-house and sat in silence for a while. Finally Reshma spoke:
    “You cannot easily enter Bollywood through the normal channels – like directly meeting a producer or Director and begging for a chance. That almost does not happen these days.
    “The easiest way to get in is from below - through the underworld. The man who saw me just now works for a powerful Dada who can put you on into films in no time. But just think whether it is necessary at all. Only when you go there will you know how pleasant has been your life outside the cine-world .”
    Raghavan did not expect such words from Reshma. When they finished their tea and came out Raghavan asked in a meek voice:
    “Reshma do you want me to come to your flat?”

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2006

2. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

very absorbing

Dear varlotti,
    The story has not moved much. But Reshma's words that life will be riddled withcomplexities,betrayals,doublecrossings,,frustrations and failures have brought out the disturbing blatant truth in the early career of young aspiring actors.It is shuddering to think the lives of the poor wives who are trapped into forced acceptance of an insecure family life.Most of them become adjustable as there is no choice. They know their life is ruined.
    Feeling very heavy at heart for Vidya,
    Meenu

3. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

getting more intense...

Hello Sridhar,

the story is getting more intense.
    why can't Raghavan decide otherwise & keep away from films. with a beautiful, dutiful & loving wife at home, what more can anyone ask for??
    He's is getting entangled into a different world which is far from normal.
    My God, just reading your story, I'm getting so tensed.

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    the lure of fame, power and money is so great that a man might go to any extend to achieve them. After doing such disgusting things, Raghavan is could not back away. He would have lost all shame and so he is ready for anything now. Poor Vidya, I pity the undoubting soul.
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

5. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Gripping Sridhar,

Dear Sridhar,
    This episode is very interesting. In my opinion, Raghavan does not need acting lessons. He is already presenting himself well with Vidhya. What is Reshma getting out of it? Is she trying to gain Raghavan's love?

As mentioned earlier I am falling in love with Vidhya. This week her character is already melting my heart. Raghavan seems to be the lucky guy having the cake and eating it too.[ Vidhya and Reshma] I am sure all men in his positon will love it.

Waiting for next week. Thanks for pointing out Anjana means faultless. I had no clue.

Bye for now,

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

unusual hero

Dear Varalotti,

Read and re-read this episode of The Price with interest. It is rather unusual, to say the least. We have read so much about damsels in distress in Bollywood, nice to see a guy undergoing the travails. It is refreshing to read about characters who are not perfect- humans who lie, cheat,look ugly. Takes spunk to portray such characters. Look forward to the next episode.

warm regards
    Vidya

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Gloomy

Raghavan and Vidya could have had a simple and happy life with so much love and beauty between them. Alas, the hero succumbs to deciet and depravation. This weeks story content has not revealed any new twists. Guess that will make the next week's final episode quite potent. Whatever the outcome, The Price is laced with heavy pathos and makes me sad.
    Your writing surely sways our moods Sridhar.

L, Kamla

8. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

scary!

Scary to think aspiring actors have to go through such creepy things and meet creepy people.Really felt sad when Raghavan cheated vidya about the ring! He is playing with Vidyas emotions which is certainly not healthy!

Picturesque description... very well written...

Purnima

9. varalotti

It's Not The Story, Meenu

Dear Meenu,
    In this novella what is important is not the story but what the characters think, talk and how they behave. And you have brought out the essence of the story in you own way.
    Youngsters who aspire a life in the limelight lose quite a lot and at the end of the day worry about the bad deal they had made with life.
    As that is a very strong theme I am giving the story in very small doses so that we can appreciate the nuances involved.
    thanks for being the first to comment.
    regards,
    varalotti

10. varalotti

You used the right word, Meena

Hello Meena,
    you used the right word. The story is getting more intense. The other story on bollywood B&B moved fast. This one will move in terms of intensity and not just velocity.
    You know, Meena, only those people who have everything in life like our hero, a beautiful and loving wife, food,clothes and shelter, crave for something else and in the process lose whatever they had to start with.
    Meena, sorry for making you tensed up. But that was the purpose of the story. To make everyone aware of the price they pay for the deals they make in life.
    regards,
    sridhar