1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The potty question .. AGAIN

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by krozwindz, Jan 10, 2012.

1. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

My DD is 2.2 years old and i am trying to potty train her since a week. Let me start by saying that i have tried 3 methods till now. The attachment to the commode, the plastic potty for kids and just making her sit on the toilet floor indian style. Though she sits patiently on the 1st two , sometimes even for continuous 45 mins, she will not even pee on them. But if i ask her to sit on the toilet floor and do her job, she will do it without any problem at all. My problem is that thsi method is real messy, becaue the toilet is big and to clean up is difficult. She doesnt complain or fidget when i place her on her potty but she wont do her job in it. If the pressure gets too much, she will run to the side from the potty and do it on the floor. Or if i place her in the commode she cant run so she will just sit there and control. And even after 45 min or so when i take her down, she will go an do it somewhere else in the house. I have tried showing her videos on youtube and also play with her while making her sit in the potty but nothing works.
    I feel she cant put pressure and do her job unless she sits in the indian style ( if u know what i mean) as she was used it for so long, so what do i do? Please give me some suggestions , mothers who have any idea.

2. mickeymini

mickeymini Gold IL'ite

Hi OP

This is a common problem for toddlers in the beginning stage. First they will do like that only but we need to have patience. Even if they do not poo or pee in it we should still continue doing it. It will take sometime for them also to change. You dont lose heart and keep trying.(I think even for elders who are used in Indian style toilets feel it difficult in western style at first.So is the case). You have to keep on telling her that she is growing and also tell examples like Mama and Papa use toilets only so she must also do it (saying she is also growingup) etc. This will take some time but we need patience.:thumbsup

3. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

Thanks Mickey mini... I am keeping my patience and trying to use any trick.. I had not known it will not be a fast process but just wishing to c if there are other tricks mothers employ too..

4. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

You can start by making her pee in the commode. When she tells you that she needs to pee, make her sit on the commode. She cannot hold it for long. So she will start peeing in it. Once she starts using the commode, you can make her use it for the other one too.

Also increase her fibre intake. Make her eat lots of fruits and veggies. That will make it easier for her to go in the commode.

You are being very patient with her. Continue doing so. She will take a few weeks for getting used to it.

5. nikhath

nikhath Senior IL'ite

Dear aditi,

You can try using a potty chart, offer her rewards on using the potty. Have patience and take care.

Nik

6. indhushri

indhushri Senior IL'ite

hi Aditi,
    i am at ur state now.i have tried everything u had attempted.but nothing works out.she has been on diapers since birth.i think i am too late. pl share with us as to how u finally achieved it. it would be very helpful for me.thx in advance.

visalakshi jaganmohan ,qatar.:bonk

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  7. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

Hello indushri
    Well I havent succeeded yet in true terms. By now she know she has to go to bathroom for toilet and potty. But she cant speak as yet. So I have to check the clock and take her regularly to the toilet. And she still will sit on the toilet floor indian style. But atleast she is getting somewhere. I have also stopped diapers for her in the night and just set the alarm clock 4 hours apart to take her to the toilet. SHe is doing well on that part too. Currently I have stopped pestering her with sitting in the commod or potty. Will start again after a break so that she doesnt get irritated with me forcing her.

8. Sansub

Sansub Bronze IL'ite

You have to be real patient in this matter. Just a week u tried and u r worried? I tried for my daughter for 6 months and then she got used to it. It is really hard and frustrating but we have to be patient and keep telling her. Get her some potty books or videos.

1 person likes this.
  9. indhushri

indhushri Senior IL'ite

hi aditi,
    thx for the quick reply.btw how old is she now?i think what u r doing is correct.(i mean giving her a break).i too have stopped forcing her now.let's hopefully wait......

indhushri.

10. indhushri

indhushri Senior IL'ite

dear sansub,

i don't know whether u r a tamilian.there's a saying in tamil which goes like this "vida muyurchi visvaroopa vetri"....which means keep on trying ,one day u'll succeed.i guess u r an example for this...good.

indhushri.