1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Other Side of Valentine!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Valentine's Day!

This is Valentine Season, they say. Everybody talks about it and greetings fly back and forth like a spindle in a loom. Even I get a lot of greetings and I lay a lot of emphasis on that ‘I’ because I have lived around 90% of my life so far without ever hearing about Valentine. I was just reading Elphaba’s snippet on Valentine for the nth time to get some clue into how this virus affects only our purses and nothing else! I am assured by the people who send me Valentine greetings that Valentine’s Day is all encompassing and that giving it an exclusively romantic tab is all wrong. They say that it is perfectly alright for me to send Valentine’s Greeting to OJ, Kamalji or Balajee and I purse my lips in disbelief. Why won’t I purse my lips in disbelief when as early as in 1392 Chaucer wrote:
    “For this was on seynt Volantynys day
    Whan euery bryd comyth there to chese his make.”
    which when translated into modern English would mean:
    "For this was on St. Valentine's Day, when every bird cometh there to choose his mate."
    Though Valentine’s Day has a strong under-current of Romantic sentiments, the marketing giants try to spread their net far and wide by including all relationship within the ambit of this Day. So everybody greets everybody else on Valentine’s Day! I have also reconciled myself to this idea and respond to the greetings cheerfully and romantically if they are from my peers!

I presume but correct me if I am wrong that Saint Valentine wants all lovers to get united in wedlock eventually. This is where I have a few thoughts to share with you. When I was studying in Presidency College which was the most sought after destination of most of the romantically inclined students, the girls were awfully outnumbered by the boys which used to be given as an example for ‘lopsided’ by my English Professor. While a majority of boys vied with each other to garner the attention of girls, a minority merely acted as spectators and cheerleaders. The boys who were losing out in this game could be easily identified by the stubble that made their faces worse than what they would be otherwise. My English Professor would advise the guys with the stubble, ‘Boys, always remember that not getting what you want is quite often a stroke of luck.’ This Professor who married the woman he loved was a much bruised man with a large family of some half a dozen children and an extremely ill tempered wife.

To those gloating over the favourable tide in their romantic fortunes, he would sound a word of caution saying ‘Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it’. Though my Professor mainly meant it as a cautionary signal to those who were rushing into matrimony, I always thought that his advices made a lot of sense in all aspects of life. If a man or woman gets married to the desired spouse and if the success in the affaire d`amour comes to him or her without having to give up too much, then it is most likely that the wedding would stick. But if she or he had to make too many sacrifices in their stormy voyage to matrimony, then it becomes a talking point every time a difference of opinion crops up. Initially it starts as some minor skirmishes but they soon assume such gigantic proportions that they inevitably land in a divorce court.

Once we were having a good time in my club. As we were in our rollicking best, another one joined us. He bore the countenance of one who had weathered many a storm in his life. When we poured a drink for him, he took the glass in his shaking hands spilling the amber liquid all over his dress and someone had to hold the glass literally for him. After he left, a friend of mine remarked that the man was suffering from acute neurosis thanks to his ill-tempered wife. On hearing this, a chap sitting next to me looked heavenward and remarked ‘Thanks be to God, I have escaped’. When we all looked askance at him, he explained that he was madly in love with that man’s wife during his student days and imagined that he could never live without her. ‘What an escape!’ he grinned.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    vjbunny, Amica, Arunarc and 10 others like this.

2. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Mama,

That is called fate, I think.

The person who escaped and the person who is caught in that struggle.

Nice write up. I for one don't have this belief of valentine or non valentine. For me and my husband it does not matter about these days at all. It is about mutual understanding, that is all. When there is understanding all days can be valentine's day. Moreover even when I was studying in Chennai, I don't think this day had that much of significance like nowadays.

Anyhow times are changing.

Thanks for the write up.
    Vaidehi

1 person likes this.
  3. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya sir,

Valentines day has become a purely commercial event with shops, malls, cinemas etc vying with each other to promote their products. When a school girl and a boy clad in their school uniforms exchange gifts bought with their hard earned parent's money, then the Valentine.'s day doesn't carry any meaning. In our 46 years of marriage not even once have we celebrated Valentine's Day or exchanged gifts but marriage still going strong. Love is not an emotion which is venerated in one day but takes years to mature and comes alive when those two people involved stand for each other in times of crisis.Happy Valentine's Day to you!

Agatha83

2 people like this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,

So, the New Year has begun with this first Blog (Rambling). Good. I am happy. Hope many more blogs would come in 2016.

When I first saw the title I thought "Wow, Cheeniya sir is writing about Valentine day! He still feels he is young and everything connected with Valentine day!" Then I saw the other side part of the title.
    So, we can wish anyone.....New trend. But need not give gifts. That is a positive thing. In giving gifts if others and friends are also included apart from wife/girl friend then a big hole in the pockets of men. May be Archies would start that also next year. This year you need not give gifts to OJ or Kamalji or Balajee.
    Many romances in college do not end in marriage. Only a few end up in marriage and whether they live happily ever after is a question mark.
    yes, I perfectly agree with you that one should get what one wants without too many sacrifices. Continuously sacrificing makes a person feels mentally sick and at some point the break takes place. it happens only in films...women tolerating men with many vices, changing them and live happily. Never happens in real life. Generally girls may like anybody in college but ultimately they choose a nerd or geek to marry. They are the safest people to live with.
    Your club friends...one is lucky in not marrying the girl and another is miserable in marrying her.
    Syamala

5. Cheeniya

My dear Vaidehi
    Valentine's Day is purely a western concept and when the multinationals started targeting Indian Market, they had to dump Valentine on us. Since we are very good at aping west, we celebrate Valentine's Day with a lot more gusto. As you rightly say, when there is understanding all days can be Valentine's Day. For that matter, Mother's Day and Father's Day are celebrated by us on all 365 days in a year. I can never understand the logic behind setting apart one day in a year to pamper our parents! Eastern sentiment works on a totally different plane!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  6. Cheeniya

Dear Agatha
    46 years of marriage? That's a surprise! No wonder all your snippets are grounded on life's most basic drama including all the basic pains of bearing the imprints of the passage of time. What is celebrating Valentine's Day? I have no clue. If it is exchange of cards and gifts, there are a lot more private occasions to celebrate than Valentine's Day! Today was my MIL's annual ceremony and my wife went off to her elder sister's place for the ceremony and I have already started missing her! When my daughter tells her "Amma, don't leave appa alone and go. He feels entirely lost!', my wife is supremely happy to know how indispensable she is in my life!

Your concluding sentence says it all, Agatha!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  7. Cheeniya

My dear Syamala
    Long time, no see you know! I know I have become too lazy! I spend more time sitting in the terrace and straining my eyes searching for the stars than in front of my computer. Some fifty years back, we could see millions of stars in the Chennai sky and on a clear night even the Milky Way could be seen like a luminous cloud but today thanks to all the pollution, if we can count twenty stars we are lucky! That makes me far less romantic and all this talk about Valentine's Day irritates me! It is not as if I am absolutely unromantic like Aurangzeb but it is just that I need my quota of stars to feel romantic!

When I met OJ at Kamalji's daughter's wedding at Jaipur, he had brought me some nice Bengali movies and that was no Valentine's Day. Good friends won't wait for any special day to loosen up the strings of their purses. I send all my cards on line. These days it has become such a crazy practice that we send electronic cards to our close kith and kin living in our own house! It has become a fashion now to open a Registry for special occasions and tie-up with Amazon or a similar outfit for receiving gifts directly!

If romances end up in marriages, people soon tend to forget them. If Laila and Majnu had got married and produced a roomful of children, would we be talking about them today? All the most talked about Romantic stories like Romeo and Juliet are the ones that never ended in wedlock. There are two types of tragedies that strike lovers. One is getting married and the other is not getting married. At least, by the latter, we become most talked about!

I'll endeavour to write on a more regular basis henceforth. This is not a New Year resolution. The time is over for it, you know!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Sorry for interruption Cheeniya sir......
    Same was the case with my dad. Your daughter told nicely "He feels entirely lost". We used to tell our amma "Amma, take nanna with you. He would nag us till you are back. Every half an hour he asks what amma is doing so long at her sibling's house? What is there to talk so much?" When she is back he never question or ask her anything. Simply would smile and go back to his book silently. Her presence in the house is enough for him.
    Went back to nostalgia.
    Syamala

1 person likes this.
  9. sugugiri2010

sugugiri2010 Gold IL'ite

Cheeniya sir,

Right said sir, we tend to adopt the west quicker. I remember my cousin asking me once while i called up to invite her home on a navarthri day for Golu, "do you still celebrate all this?" i answered "ofcourse i do,this is our tradition". That is how our generation is getting dragged by what is not in our culture.

When i hear the word valentine , then these are few things that comes to my mind.

There was a day when i couldn't pronounce the word "valentine" correctly and i was teased by all my schoolmates.
    During my college days i wore a green dress on the valentine day,and i got bullied by all my friends saying it was a signal to accept proposals,where as i was totally unaware of it.
    when i was doing my masters, my classmates laughed at me as they were all exchanging cards and gifts and i was the only one who was not committed.

I was neglected many a time, So i just wanted to keep the word "valentine" away from me.

1 person likes this.
  10. Cheeniya

My dear Syamala
    The passionate love of youth is nothing compared to the companionship of old age. You say 'Her presence in the house is enough for him' and that sums up the quintessence of companionship. I know some peers of mine who hardly talk to their wives when they are at home and they can even be very petulant over trivia but the moment the wives take a break to visit their siblings, these men become utterly despondent. The funny part is that these men are so egoistic, they won't accompany their wives to visit their siblings!
    Sri

1 person likes this.