1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The only baggage we all like to carry...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by forgiven10, Jun 30, 2011.

1. forgiven10

forgiven10 Silver IL'ite

Hello bloggy dear. Feels like its been a long time since we've spoken to each other. No, I have not forgotten you- you know, that its been a crazy busy past few weeks. I forewarned you (but perhaps not my readers if any) that it would be a while before any worthy thoughts were spilled on this little cyber journal.

I have a question for you, bloggy. Do you like to carry luggage? Well - I know you carry all my thoughts and musings (thank you very much:hide:) but I'm talking about physical luggage - the kind that's carried in airports, railway stations etc. No? Thought so. Neither do I. Yet, I find myself carrying emotional baggage which I was never meant to carry! And what's funny about this is that my heart would rather carry it than let go. At least with travel baggage, it serves some purpose. It has an end and an advantage. But of what advantage is holding grudges in carefully packed egos? Egos are fragile, right? Then why do we burden them with so much unnecessary hatred, resentment, and indifference? Is it that I do not feel the weight or foresee the harm in doing this? Well, I don't think so. Because I can clearly feel the burden. It weighs me down and clutters the air pipes of my soul. Yet, it is not easy to let go of. It takes some divine strength and the miracle of unselfishness to give it over. You have to learn to love this person towards whom you feel resentment. It always, at least for me, takes God to bring about that change. Only then, I can successfully discard the baggage. By myself, I think I would forever hold on to it though all it does is wear me down.

Aren't we humans funny creatures? We hate to carry physical baggage that at least serves a purpose but go around carrying emotional baggage which serve no good purpose. Someone tell me why humanity is so messed up.

2. kiram

kiram New IL'ite

Very well said and true. I have so much emotional baggage as well and even if I do not want to carry them all the time for some reason it sticks to me and kicking me in the *** reminding me that I have them with me. Most times I tell myself I refuse to carry it anymore but there are times that Im longing for them and reminisce even the unhappy thoughts.. I guess I am 1 of the many messed up ones :D

3. forgiven10

forgiven10 Silver IL'ite

Hi Kiram! :) We'll all in it together, my friend. Do not fret or worry! Find a friend or book, or some other let-out to discard your baggage. Before writing this blog, my heart was heavy. Once I wrote it, I felt better and within a minute, I went and struck up a friendly conversation with the person who I was holding grudges against. Just taking that first step is hard, but the rest is easy - because you never know how eager the other person is to hear your voice! :)

I hope you feel better! Thanks for stopping by.

Regards,
    forgiven

4. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

Nice analogy between the physical and emotional baggage, God its tough to let go at times!

Its tiring to carry all of the hurt and pain and fear and what not... and it shaves years off our lives and peace. At the end of the day though, forgiveness is important, not so much for the one you hold that grudge against, but for yourself. One has to give the self permission to let go and once again live and breathe freely, and smile and laugh and appreciate all the good that is in our lives... isn't it?

I sometimes wonder if its possible to make a conscious choice to do it though (the forgiveness part), or if its an organic process, that takes its own sweet time to come around.

PS: Ha ha, your signature is pretty philosophical, if you think about it in the context of beating oneself up about the perfectionism, its a mantra to remember ;-)

5. forgiven10

forgiven10 Silver IL'ite

Absolutely. Can't agree more with the shaving years and joy off part. I think half of the sorrow we get is what we ask for due to such immature, selfish behavior. The rest, of course, as in the Almighty's plan for us. Gosh, its would have been impossible to forgive myself if suddenly something happened to this person before I got a chance to reconcile.

Hmm, something to ponder, ain't it? Now that I think about it, yes, forgiving myself does come much harder and much slower than forgiving others.....thanks for sharing that thought.

Hehe, thanks. (Can I take credit for being completely original with it:hide:?) Are you a perfectionist like me, Dhaanika?:rotfl

6. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai friend,

Being an humanbeing how can we be without emotions and sentiments?
    EGO should be avoided which will affect and ruin the happiness of our life. Your analysation was too good my dear. GOD knows when and how to keep the emotions rating of all the humanbeing

7. forgiven10

forgiven10 Silver IL'ite

8. forgiven10

forgiven10 Silver IL'ite

9. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

True, its tough to take a step back and look at the big picture. Hmmm... that's another way of looking at it though, as in, God's plan for us. I used to think about it in the context of personal growth, but you're right, that's another facet of it.

LOL, yeah, being a perfectionist... its easy to beat oneself up over and over and over. Its tough to break it, as its a double edged sword, it helps one do better and be more ambitious, at the same time, if we think about kindness, we're kind and civil to so many people around us, but that kindness disappears in a jiffy the minute we begin talking to ourselves... its much harder to forgive oneself.

I've been doing some meditations for a while now, and a few things, like kindness, non-violence and so on are starting to make sense, we've got to apply those to ourselves first before we can go about being civil and forgiving and kind and so on. Its a lot harder to feed others if you're hungry yourself ... KWIM?

Ha ha! Yeah, the quote was so original, I smiled reading it.

10. forgiven10

forgiven10 Silver IL'ite

Yeah like, there are certain struggles that are the "stabilizers" of life, if you will. They're just there so that we don't get too indulgent with our happiness/wealth/success/pride/whatever......and that's God's way of keeping His loved ones grounded and dependent on Him. I've been thinking more along these lines recently whereas previously I used to think, "I'm gonna just work hard and overcome X struggle, and grow, and its gonna be done within a few months, and it'll be a happy ending!" So that's when God started saying, "Uh, hello, but I intend to keep these all through your life you know." And I go, "oh....so you just want me to relax and take it as it comes?" He goes, "Uhuh. Don't sweat it. Just trust me." Like, I agree and believe that we should forgive those who hurt us, and ourselves but we can never get entirely rid of life's emotional baggage here on earth. So, I personally count this emotional baggage deal as a deal for life (a thorn in every human flesh). But yes, as you said, its a great avenue for personal enrichment and growth.

Sounds like meee:hide:.

you know, I've been thinking about this. I heard this proverb sometime, "Be easy on others but hard on yourself." I actually tried that for a long time but sad to say, I was disappointed with the results. Because I started blaming myself more, expecting too much from myself, caring little for myself.....WHILE doing nice things for everyone around me. It came to stand still when I had no more strength to love others. And I realized, that happens when you stop loving yourself. There's a reason why it says "Love others as you love yourself"

Then I wanted to hunt down the dude who came up with that proverb and........yeah, never mind. :)

Exactly, can't agree more. What's KWIM?

Oh, and are you going to reflect on some of these meditations so we all can learn too? :biggrin2:I love theology, philosophy, and ethics...

Haha, thanks. ;-)

I'm loving this conversation :)