1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Noodle Threat

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by coffeecups, Apr 25, 2018.

1. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

Few days back, I went to a near by supermarket to buy my groceries. I was craving for some noodles for the past few weeks and was not brave enough to eat out at a Chinese joint in fear of possible addition of MSG, the flavor enhancer.
    So, I decided to buy a pack of noodles and make it myself at home. I wanted to buy a pack that specifically had minimal preservatives, and no MSG.
    While I was standing at the noodle rack, trying to read the food labels of various brands, a lot of people passed by the rack. Most of them stopped at the rack, to pick up their favorite packs. I was curious to see how people made their choices. Some grabbed the pack that was nearest to them, some reached for the old is gold Maggi and some, like me, stopped by, and checked out the packages trying to compare them. I heard a mother telling her son to pick up the attached / oats noodles, some decided to go for family packs as it was little economical, and some wanted to explore the newly launched flavors.
    Sadly, no one wanted to go through the ingredients and decide which was a safer bet. Probably one could argue that people already know the health dangers of eating instant noodles and they are yet willing to take the risk. Hence, probably, they don't bother to read the contents on the pack ??
    The same applies to various sauces / jams and the like. I notice people just picking up bottles off the shelves without much thought.
    There might be exceptions to the above. But are they common?
    In countries where the food regulations and safety rules are very strictly followed and everything is labelled and documented, it's a different story. But what about our country? Can we confidently say that there is no food adulteration with dangerous chemicals ? How many are being reported and what action is being taken against them ? Take for eg the Maggi fiasco.
    Some patients, during their doctor appointment, when prescribed medicines for their ailments, in all seriousness ask, are there any side effects to these medicines. I appreciate their concern. But, the same people, do they think twice before buying ready to eat chips, colas, prepacked foods?
    Shouldn't nutrition be given more importance in our curriculum. I was a science graduate. All the biology text books, esp at school level, teach you about various food groups. But isn't chapters on food adulteration, understanding food labels, making conscious and healthy choices be made compulsory? This initial introduction in the schools followed by reinforcement from parents, makes them wiser and help them make more health conscious decisions.
    Or is addiction to junk so high that it's not so easy to undo it !!

Your thoughts!

Star25, Sunburst, Sandycandy and 3 others like this.

2. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

You are right!
    The topics of food adulteration and enhancers should have been made compulsory.But our education system only concentrated in getting more engineers and thus more IT jobs.With both men and women working today,they do not have the time to prepare home foods rich in nutrition.That is why instant foods are in demand.And due to lack of time,they do not mind compromising on the health effects.So most people will be of the notion 'We don't have a choice and hence let's not see'

It's amusing how one change in the society brings change in all other areas.

Sunburst and coffeecups like this.
  3. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

Yes, as you said it is a vicious cycle.
    And people justify it by the excuse -" what to do, we don't have a choice! "
    This applies not just to cooking, but many more things like, exercising, spending some quality time with family, going gadget free etc
    Is that really true ? Don't we have a choice to make ? Then how come some people are able to pull it off ? I just feel it's a matter of prioritizing. While eating prepacked foods people don't instantly see it's side effects. But, eat some stale food, and the symptoms are instant. So, people in general are more worried about instant benefits/ side effects rather than worry about long run.
    As long as today is well, that's fine.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

we have discussed this many times in the parenting section and lunch thread in keep fit. infact i have taught my kids to read labels. nowadays even my husband reads the labels.

being aware of what you buy as a consumer is imporant. knowledge is power.

http://indusladies.com/community/threads/lunch-ideas-creating-balanced-vegetarian-meals.241203

Lets talk about preservatives in kids pruduct.

it is not just noodles. how many of us really stop to think zero fat or zero sugar does not mean zero and it is just that it is present within permissible limit that need not be mentioned

a very popular brand in from the baba has fresh herbal juices. look at the label and you will be shocked at the amount of preservatives there.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  5. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

W

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sorry not able to quote the post.. so here i have inserted the whole post

7. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

I was like the ignorant people you were talking about !
    now after having a kid , there are no noodles , no fizzy drinks at home . and they are not gonna be for years i m sure .
    just like i had them in school , once in 6 months sort of treat .

The ingredient scrutiny started after me wanting to lose the weight . I m not sure how much people will understand if i tell them now because if i go 5-10 years back and tell that to me , my younger self will be like “offo one life ... itna tension ! “
    hope my baby will have this habit from start .
    The food companies are pretty much open about what is inside , it’s we consumer who have to open eyes.
    like Sugar is next cigarette!

congratulations on your pragnancy @coffeecups hope you aren’t having too many coffees too :)

now i know why you went egglacious few days back ! :) enjoy !

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Sunburst and coffeecups like this.
  8. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

Nice that you are doing your part to spread the awareness. This post was intended against all preservatives loaded junk, not just noodles. I picked it up as an example.

Shanvy likes this.
  9. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

Haha. Thank you.
    No coffees till the baby arrives.
    Probably I will celebrate with a big hot cuppa on the day I give birth.
    Lol. Egglicious :rolleye:

ashima10 likes this.
  10. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@coffeecups,

Well said! We have to learn to read the labels and be aware of the basic minimum at least. As you said, we faithfully ask the doctor regarding the side effects of medicines but never worry about the side effects of food especially the packaged. To us love means food; loaded with sugar, salt and oil! Instant foods mean even more love! We need to change our paradigms.

ashima10 likes this.