1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Next Minute

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LakshmiKMBhat, Mar 9, 2017.

1. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

It is indeed fascinating the amount of planning we do in life. There is planning from ‘before birth’ to ‘after death’. We live in the present and plan for the future. We have to, at least most of us have to. In spite of all our planning, life takes us by surprise. We worry or think too much about the future but we can never be really sure about the next minute.

I remember the tsunami which struck the eastern coastline of our country on December 26th, 2004. One minute life was going on as usual. The next minute life changed tragically for hundreds and thousands of people. Last year on November 30th our son was walking out of his college. He slipped and sank to the ground and is legs went into a ditch. His left ankle had three fractures. He was coming to meet his sister and nephew but instead had to go to the hospital. A few months ago my mother slipped and suffered a fracture. Neither was she in a new place nor was she doing anything that she had not been doing every day before the fall. Life changed in that one minute.

And all those accidents we read about in newspapers. Life changes in a single minute. People lose their lives or something more tragic awaits them. A few years ago we were returning home. My husband had to apply the brake and the next minute life literally turned upside down. We just did not know what happened. People who were nearby to help us. We were battered but fortunately did not suffer any serious injury.

We generally recognize that the far future is unknown, but we fail to realise that the very next minute is unknown future. But, we cannot live with fear worrying about the next minute. If we did so life would become unbearable. Why die a thousand deaths before the final one ?

To Sakleshpur (14).jpg

swathi27, vaidehi71, Rajeni and 4 others like this.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Lakshmi,
    Yes, we do not know what is going to happen the next moment. But still we plan and plan!!!!! Without the thinking faculty
    How would we be? Life would be boring, dull if we just sit and wait for things to happen!
    Syamala

LakshmiKMBhat likes this.
  3. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

"Why die a thousand deaths before the final one ?" - How true!!

Very nice one dear LakshmiBhat. We never know what the next minute holds for us.

The thrill of life lies in its uncertainty! Though the next minute is uncertain, we plan for the next fifty years!
    I think optimism is embedded in us, we are designed to look at the possibility of living rather than worry about the chances of dying! We must be thankful to be born with a hope for better things, else life would become miserable.

4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lakshmi Bhatt,
    Nice thought process.W don't know what is going to happen next minute.Yet we can't help planning.I prepare idli batter today only in the fond hope that I will live to make idlies tomorrow.I cannot always be thinking that suddenly I may die or get involved in serious accidents,getting admitted in hospital etc.That we will see tomorrow.Man is a thinking animal.We are being advised always to live in the present,which cannot happen.When a building is constructed we take precaution for protecting it against earth quake or lightning and provide shock absorbers ,fuse carriers etc.When we build hospitals we provide for Intensive care units and ambulance services and don't consider those plans as inauspicious.The very establishment of Insurance is for future only and next minute is more important than this minute.

jayasala 42

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear lakshmi,
    Though it is a bitter truth that we don't know what is going to happen next moment, it doesn't deter us planning far ahead. To lead life without planning for future is not at all possible.
    PS

6. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

True we never know what the future holds.But we have to plan and be positive that things will happen the way we want.There is thrill in planning.we cannot be laid back and let things take their own course.

7. LakshmiKMBhat

Very true Syamala. We have to plan otherwise life would be difficult. Thank you.

8. LakshmiKMBhat

True Rajeni and thank you :)

9. LakshmiKMBhat

Yes Kanaka, there may be people who do not plan but I cannot imagine life without planning. But if something different happens I just take it as it comes and change my plans. Thank you :)