1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The nature's beauty around me

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

After I had a disastrous experience in the fitness center we became a member on the very first day, my wife and I discontinued going to the gym for good. However, my cardiovascular test came out good. My cardiologist explained me that what happened is due to the beta blocker I take every day for my blood pressure. He asked me to continue to walk every day so that my heart will remain healthy. He suggested that I buy a Treadmill and walk at home. However, I decided to walk in the natural setting and for the past 14 years, I walk every day in our subdivision. Now for the past two months, I intensified my exercise and I started walking twice every day both in the morning and evening. My walking regime is 30-35 minutes for each session and now it is 60-70 minutes per day. As I work from home, this walking exercise fit very nicely with my daily routine.

Apparently, this blog is not to talk about my fitness as I am no where closer to where I need to be in terms of my weight. But this blog is about what are the things I experience when I walk in the morning and now in the evening as well. We have a beautiful conservation right behind our subdivision and it is such a pleasant experience to watch the peacocks getting out of that area looking for food into our subdivision. If the weather is gloomy with rain expected, it is such a pleasant sight to watch the peacocks with fully opened feathers. There is a pond in the sub-division where I see the ducks and cranes swimming looking for food inside the water. Every house in the subdivision has so many trees and the chirping from the variety of birds having nests in those trees is such a melody to listen to every day. Sometimes, I have seen large-sized turtles taking a walk into the land from the water source. Even though I walk very fast, I enjoy watching the squirrels eating the orange fruits and other smaller fruits in the gardens set up by the home-owners. They move very quickly away when observed and I try my best to avoid making too much noise. Possums are very rare to sight but they are very fond of orange fruits.

Similarly, I see a lot of rabbits primarily interested in having a feast out of vegetables in the gardens set up the home-owners. Their holding the vegetables and leaves in their hands and eating is a sight to watch. I am more fascinated to watch their cross section of their eyes and I wonder how gifted they are to have such beautiful eyes. I am a little allergic of reptiles and occasionally, the sight of alligator in the pond makes me feel little uncomfortable. Later, I used to curse me that they are specie and have every right to coexist. Same way, I used to be very scared of snakes I rarely see while walking. I stay a safe distance from them even though many of my friends told me that most of them are not harmful. I am also not a big fan of coyotes I sight rarely as their only purpose to look for small pets to eat.

I am a big fan of dogs and when I see the other home owners walking the dogs in the morning; I do spend time to say hi to the pets. Most of the home owners in our subdivision know me by now after 14 years of my daily routine. I made more friends in our subdivision due to this healthy habit. I learned how to be brief in my conversation with them so that I don’t have to break my exercise to increase the heart rate. I walk every day whether it is raining or shining.

I also admire the nice flower gardens many home owners set up in front of their houses. They cut the Australian grass regularly every week to keep it at the right size. In some houses, the sprinklers will start to spray water to the lawn. It is difficult to see the exposed dirt ("sand") as all home owners cover the space in the yard around the house with lawn and wherever they have plants, they fill up the dirt with mulch to protect erosion of dirt. The color change that happens in the trees and plants during each season is a great sight to watch as well.

I know many people who live in our city like to take a bike ride in the trail that is built for nearly 25-30 miles. In many places it goes through conservation areas and forests and many people told me that it is a unique experience. I have not tried it and it might be a phenomenal experience as well. My son’s favorite is a hammock park located in our city with 90 acres of land filled with wild life and plants. Occasionally, my wife, son and I used to walk inside the hammock park. It is my son’s favorite place and always advice me to walk inside the hammock park. I feel very refreshed when I walk inside the dense forest like setting as the amount of oxygen in the air is of great quality. The only thing that prevents me from doing it more often is the mosquito bite I get and as my skin is extremely sensitive to that. I tried walking with protection for that but the mosquitoes inside the hammock should be a category of its own to survive such a protection and still bite me.

One of the many things I love about the country I live is its ability to keep the nature as it is or create one inside the cities. Even when I made the visit to the Kennedy Space Center, the state-of-the-art space research center, I noticed that it is surrounded by the forest and wild life. The country knows how to balance the modern developments with the nature and always planned infrastructure development in a fashion to mix both.

2. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswamitra,

A lovely, enjoyable, and enviable painting of your walk through the woods. Did you share the disastrous experience in the Gym with ILs ( unless it was very personal to you both)? It is nice to think of the positive aspect of the developed society where you live.

Thanks for sharing.

3. Viswamitra

Thank you for your response to this Blog. Yes. I did share the Gym experience in another blog and it is in the following link.

Near Death Exeprience - Blogs - IndusLadies

We always have positives and negatives in every society we live. While negative aspects are transparent and visible, the positives are hidden and we need to observe carefully and digest them.

Viswa

4. InnerBliss

InnerBliss Gold IL'ite

"Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder". I am glad to see what you enjoy through your eyes. :)

I had read earlier about your close encounter to death on the first day of yours at gym, in one of your blog and it is good to see you giving time to exercise by walking in such a beautiful natural setting.

By reading the description of peacock, possum, squirrels, pond and trees, I really feel envious for the luck that you are receiving :) Good on you.

Thank you for sharing your lovely thoughts on the beauty around you.

5. Viswamitra

Thank you for visiting this blog. Yes. The walking exercise is the replacement for the exercise I was supposed to do in the gym. I am so happy you remembered by previous blog. I feel very blessed to have this surroundings. It is always a pleasure to receive your feed back.

Viswa

6. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

Anu has typed my thoughts too :)

7. Viswamitra

Dear Nihasvin,

Thank you for visiting this Blog.

Viswa

8. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Reading your post reminded me of my father taking me for walks inside the Theosophical Society in Chennai. Wonderful walks entwined with natures beauty. One could see beautiful birds, different trees, the Bay of Bengal coastline.

Now I take my daughter for walks to the park. But being in downtown it is not exactly the best walk, but we sure have a nice time.

9. Viswamitra

Dear Ramya,

Thank you for your feedback and for visiting so many of my blogs today. As I mentioned, I always enjoy your comments and feedback.

Enjoying the nature is a habit again and I am so happy to know that your walks with your father in Theosophical Society made you enjoy the nature and you follow the same practice now to take your daughter for a walk to the park. Incidentally, I also lived in Adyar for a long time and I know it is a beautiful location with that world famous Banyan Tree.

Viswa