1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Myth Of Love Jehad

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

True every religion behaves as if it is an exclusive club and treats non-members with scorn.Religion has become a license for giving up our humanity.

2. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

We don’t need religion to be a good human....
    live and let live.... unfortunately in the name of religion we see lot of bloodshed

Nylaa, sindmani and Balajee like this.
  3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

History of religions has been a history of violence with few really honorable exceptions. Religion ihas been a means of killing and looting with a perfectly clean conscience.

sindmani likes this.
  4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

History of religions is history of violence. Humanism is the only true faith.

sindmani likes this.
  5. bmaquarius

bmaquarius Gold IL'ite

It would be rather naive and far too dumb to to underestimate the problems beset with conversion. If we were take cognizance of the facts surrounding this humongous problem we couldn't quite look away. This is a problem faced not only by India but also the most developed and liberal societies like Britain US and many European nations. Why is radical Islam attractive to the people coming from more liberal backgrounds education lifestyles, is a matter of concern. We aren't talking of a specific case of marriage. If you are to study this case you will find a pattern in such marriages. The kind of hysteria raked of caliphate taking over the world and recruiting people in alarming numbers for their cause, this has actually worried the developed nations making them sit up and take notice. If you're listening to the world leaders you'll find the pressure they're under to resolve these issues. Coming home any kind of radicalism is potent danger. Every kind of fundamentalism is worrying to a civil society. While sections of media have highlighted majoritarian fundamentalism, the minority radicalisation isn't taken very seriously. Radicalism is radicalism there are no two ways of looking at it.

Nylaa and sindmani like this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

True every kind of fundamentalism is worrying. But th love Jehad matter is griossly exaggerated. Targeting girls of other faiths to augment their flock simply doesn't make sense . It has to be a massive operation which is just not feasible.

sindmani likes this.
  7. Nylaa

Nylaa Silver IL'ite

Personally, I don't believe such a thing exists (and if it does, it's likely isolated incidents here and there).

I also wonder if the moral panic over this is regional. It seems to be localized to regions that have long standing tensions between communities (although I could be wrong). You don't hear about it everywhere. For instance, where my family is from in Punjab, you don't here about it. That isn't to say that acts of violence don't take place from time to time. However, those seem to be about other things (i.e. disputes over money/lending, inheritances, land ownership, or random feuds between families) rather than girls being "seduced" into conversion by men of other faiths. In contrast, where my husband is from originally you often here about violent incidents involving couples of different faiths (not in the context of your OP but interfaith relationships in general).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

The "love jehad" case that has dominated the media akla which has a composite culture and hardly any tension between faiths. Yes such incidents are few . What concerns me is the tendency to brand every wedding between a Muslim man and Hindu woman as "love jehad", an imaginary global conspiracy.-

sindmani likes this.
  9. Nylaa

Nylaa Silver IL'ite

Do people in India actually believe that? I mean, the average, everyday person. I'd like to think that the general public has enough common sense to see how nonsensical thoughts of a global conspiracy are (but I could be wrong).

I've never heard this mentioned ever (while visiting India). I know people disapprove of weddings between people of different religions but I've never heard anyone claim that it's some grand conspiracy.

10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Such an atmosphere is being created now. Otherwise why should National Investigation Agency, an anti-terror organisation probe a marriage in Kerala and present a report before a court declaring it as love jehad. The court promptly annuled the marriage.