1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Monkeys, Mangoes and The Crows

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, May 26, 2011.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Looks like the monkeys and the crows of the world will never let me down when it comes to the question of providing me with fodder for my writings. Just as the mangoes will never let me down when it is time for a meal or when sweet cravings get the better of me.

So here I am back in the backyard of my mil's house and to the mango tree which has brought many sweet moments into our lives. In more ways than one.

Today mil is back with a bag full of mangoes and was regaling us with tales of the goings on in that one hot spot in her compound - the mango tree. Apparently the monkey family which visits the tree has been growing and seem to have to taken up permanent residence in the vicinity of the tree. The little monkeys which they bring along with them were helpless creatures just sitting where they were placed by their foraging moms and watching longingly when the mothers were having a go at the mangoes. Now they have fattened on the feast and are able to jump around themselves.

What she has to say about the eating habits of these creatures is indeed food for thought. They arrive in hordes in the morning and start having a go at the fruit. Any attempt at driving them away results in them taking shelter on the terrace of the neighbouring building - only to reappear a little later :rant. This is when the gardener shoos them away [​IMG]. Mil has no influence on these little brats [​IMG]. They just brazen it out when she tries to shoo them away. (So my stock has gone up in my mil's eyes. At least I accord her more respect and wait till she deems fit to share the fruit of her labour with me :rotfl . At least now she can't say that I have been badly brought up). Anyway, back to the monkeys. These monkeys are not badly brought up - they attack the fruit without so much as a "May I, if you please, Madam?"- they apparently eat the fruit half way and then discard them. This after plucking the ripest, sweetest, biggest fruit. The worst culprits apparently are the adult monkeys. The little ones suck the last bit of flesh on the kernel. A case of adults behaving badly. Probably their moms did not teach them a couple of things about not wasting food at their knees. But apparently the younger generation is born wiser - at least for the next few years till they are adults themselves.

So the imparting of these lessons in economical food habits are left to the crows to give to the monkeys. There are a couple of very cultured, hygeinic high caste :hide: crows which come every morning, have a dip in the little water trap in the front garden, dry themselves and then go to feast on the mangoes. (Note: they eat only after having a bath). The first time mil saw the crow with a bright yellow beak, she could not figure out what it was [​IMG]. It was only later that she realized that they were also guests at the breakfast table (read mango tree). Now these crows decided that they were not in a mood to share their food with such wasteful beings like the monkeys. They hover above them, flap their wings vigorously and scare the monkeys away. Well, maybe mil should consider replacing the gardener with these crows :idea. What do a couple of mangoes eaten by the crows matter, when there are so many more at stake?[/JUSTIFY]

2. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Monkeys are famous for spoiling things [​IMG]. I could imagine the shape of the garden they had left. Crows [​IMG]shooing away the monkeys [​IMG]?!! first time hearing. replacing the gardener!!! ha.ah..a poor guy he is unaware of his competitor [​IMG]. You have brought the garden in front of my eyes with your good narration as usual. Enjoyed the monkey-mango-crow episode.

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

So yr mom has guests in the form of monekys and crows eh ! Well as they say, only lucky people have guests, so what if she has these two categories.:rotfl

Do u know a saying, that the crow has one good quality, that it never eats alone, but calls all its friends, to where it finds suitable food, and will wait, then all will eat.How unlike humans eh !

But crows taking bath before eating, wow, they are much better than me.On sundays, i have breakfast and lunch without bath, and without brushing, i must learn from them some etiquettes:biglaugh

Hilarious as usual, the baby monkeys eating all, the elder ones eating half.HAHA

Suprb as usual.

Regards

kamal

4. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

loved your smileys satchi :)
    you guys have the patience to pick them up for the posts..It adds a nice flavor to the narration

Though I have never experienced personally a mango tree with monkeys, I have heard many and the way you have put it down is hilarious

5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi satchi,
    you could as well start a series with the subjects in your title. reminds me of the jataka tales, you know.:rotfl
    I do envy your MIL... it must be just heavenly to lazily sit and watch the ways of the animal world all the while eating a delicious ripe mango. Hmmmm yummmy !!! I couldnt even be bothered to get up and shoo them away. :biglaugh

6. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Reminded of the man selling cap story !!
    My uncle used to narrate this during all weddings in the family with music and dance !! I used to be the senior most monkey with the little ones tagging behind me next, me next...[​IMG],,,[​IMG],,,,,[​IMG],,,,,[​IMG]......

Enjoyed the read so much Sats !!

7. satchitananda

Thanks Mira. Yes, apparently the gardener cleans up the garden and goes and then the monkeys are back messing it up with half eaten mangoes.

8. satchitananda

Thanks Kamalji. Yes, looks like we have a lot of things to learn from these birds. :)

9. satchitananda

Thanks Pavithra. :cheers

10. satchitananda

Yes Mindi. I am just discovering the various aspects of these creatures and realizing that the Panchatantra and the Jataka tales were not a figment of the authors' imagination.

Mil certainly enjoys watching all these creatures and was narrating the sequence in which all the birds arrive during the day, and then the squirrels, the monkeys and so on. She says it's like living in the middle of a forest. I wish I were there to take pictures of them at the job.