1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Man Who Would Be King

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Cheeniya, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In my last blog, I had written about George Orwell, an India-born writer of fame. I will now tell you about another India-born writer who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1907. Yes, you guessed it right! It is Rudyard Kipling, a Bombay born writer of repute. About his birth place, Kipling wrote:

Mother of Cities to me,
    For I was born in her gate,
    Between the palms and the sea,
    Where the world-end steamers wait. (Courtesy: Wikipedia)

But before I proceed further, I must tell you that I am a descendent of him!

I am a member of a fraternity called Freemasons for the last 45 years. Kipling was also a member of this Fraternity around the 1880’s. In this fraternity, we call each other ‘brother’ .Thus as a Freemason, I have a fraternal relationship with Kipling.

Based on his knowledge of Masonic Ethics, Kipling wrote an enthralling novel titled ‘The Man Who Would Be King’. In this story, Kipling writes about how erring masons will get doomed.

The story is about two Freemasons who go on an adventure to Afghanistan. The novella is narrated by an unnamed English newspaper editor living in India.(Possibly Kipling himself). The story opens with the editor reflecting on all the sorts of people his line of work has brought him into contact with, but he is telling a very particular story of his meeting a man (or men) who would make himself a king someday. The memory starts with the editor traveling on business and having a conversation with a stranger in a train compartment. The man is a “Loafer,” a vagabond of sorts who makes a living out of different adventures, sometimes posing as a newspaper correspondent. The man begs the narrator to assist him in passing along a cryptic message to a friend, telling him to find a red-bearded man in the train station and to tell him “he has gone South.” The narrator does this, but also tips off the local authorities that there are men posing as correspondents and the two men are captured.

The editor goes on to explain the seasons in India, especially the summer which is oppressively hot and often leads to sickness. It is during this brutal season that the two men turn up in the newspaper office and declare their intention to make themselves Kings of Kafiristan, a part of Afghanistan. The first man the narrator met is named Peachey Carnehan, and his red-bearded compatriot is Daniel Dravot. They show the narrator a “contrack” (contract) they have drawn up regarding their intentions to make themselves kings, in which they promise each other to avoid alcohol and women until their business is complete. The narrator sends them off with a map and some entries from the Encyclopaedia Britannica believing that they will be killed on this adventure.

The following summer Peachey again turns up in the newspaper office in the middle of the night, but this time he is wretched and alone. The narrator convinces him to tell what happened after he and Daniel left India. Though Peachey is teetering on the verge of madness, he manages the tale. They had barely managed the journey into Kafiristan, and ended up killing and eating first their camels and second their mules. In the mountainous region they came across warring villages and used their guns in order to aid the smaller number of tribesmen to victory. They declared themselves gods and through a bit of luck and cunning on Dravot’s part, found out the secret mark of the gods and used it to convince the people. They trained the men to use guns and created an Army, moving from village to village and doing much of the same. Dravot acted the part of King and concocted many of their plans and it was generally up to Peachey to use the army to execute them. They both began wearing crowns of gold (though Peachey remarks that his was both two small and too heavy).

As winter in the mountains drew near Dravot’s aspirations increased. He believed the people he had conquered were really just like the English in many ways and decided that he would build an Empire to present to Queen Victoria. His confidence in his own rule was so complete that Dravot insisted it was time for him to take a wife. Peachey reminds Dravot of the contract, but he will not reconsider. The priests of the village attempt to talk Dravot out of the plan, but he will not yield. Despite the fact the girl being readied believes she must die in order to marry a god, Dravot insists that she will marry him. On the day of the wedding, the presented bride bites Dravot and draws blood. It is clear they are not gods and the army advances to capture them. A native they call Billy Fish attempts to help them escape, but he is killed. Dravot comes to his senses and offers himself back to the natives. They force him to walk out to the centre of a rope bridge and cut the end, causing Dravot to fall to his death. Peachey is crucified, but survives and flees the country. He arrives back in India half mad and carrying one black sack amongst his rags. It is revealed that inside the sack is the decapitated head of Daniel Dravot, still wearing his golden crown. Peachey leaves the office, but the narrator finds him crawling in the blistering sun the following day and arranges to have him taken to an asylum. Peachey dies there, leaving behind no evidence of the head.

If you have no time for the book, watch the movie version with Sean Connery and Michael Caine in the lead roles. A great movie!

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A cusialscene from the movie