1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Magic of Libraries

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LakshmiKMBhat, Nov 7, 2012.

1. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

View attachment 172568

Libraries have always been a very important and loved part of our lives from our childhood. There was this sense of excitement while going to the library wondering what book we would get to read that day. The world of books is a beautiful world of imagination for the authors and the readers. Books which we love become a part of our lives, their characters are so very real that we forget that they exist only in the book and of course in our mind and in our heart. Libraries have their own special atmosphere, sitting there with a book or a magazine and getting lost in their pages is an experience which is shared by all book lovers. :thumbsup

My friends and I have formed a book club, we meet once a month. At present we are reading ‘India after Gandhi’ by Ramachandra Guha. It is one of the best books I have read and we are able to relate to all that is written in it. We finish reading it next month.
    Long back,I used to read anything and everything that I could get, but now I find that if the first few pages of a book does not appeal to me, I just cannot continue,but many finish the book even if they do not like it, they want to know why they did not like it.

Rereading my favourite books is one of my hobbies. I don’t even know how many times I have read them, if not the whole book at least parts of them. It is fun. There is this library in our place, it is housed in an old building which has an old world charm. Anyone can come and read there. Research scholars come from different places to refer the books. Sitting and reading in that building is an experience in itself.:)

[FONT=&quot]"Libraries: The medicine chest of the soul". ~Library at Thebes, inscription over the door[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library". ~Jorge Luis Borges[/FONT]

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Laksmi,

I am a regular visitor to library. Right now I am in London...there is a library wherever you stay within walking distance. Library doesn't look like a collection of books for me. It is the experience , creativity, imagination, knowledge of so many writers. They penetrate our mind. make us think and what not.
    Yes Paradise is a kind of library. Book shops attract me than anything else.

Thank you for sharing experiences of library. I have an online friend (we met also later) who share love of books...both Telugu and English. Discussed so many books. Learnt a lot from him...what to read and understanding.

Syamala

3. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

Thanks Shyamala, what you have said is so true.
    Lakshmi