1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Lizard Again!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Amulet @blissfull
    Thanks a lot for all the clips. My head is now full of lizards, I mean full of information about lizards. I must add a word though. The eastern lizards are more dignified. They don't make a fool of themselves. They don't jump about like Sir David Attenborough's flying lizards. The eastern ones have a saintly countenance. I do not wish to be seen as a school boy answering a 'compare and contrast' question because there is nothing to compare! I like the erect appearance of a confident Gecko. Thanks a lot again!

blissfull likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

@Viswamitra
    My dear Viswa
    I see here your legitimate pride of having been a Madrasi once. This description of a lizard's eating style reminds me of a colleague of mine in the '60s at Coimbatore. Everyday a huge meal carrier would be delivered to him and his man Friday would place it on his exclusive table in the dining room. At the stroke of 1 p.m. he would come there and occupy his seat. He would keep looking at the carrier for a few minutes silently with reverence. He would run his fingers lovingly around the carrier before opening it. He would then place the individual components of the carrier in a circular pattern at the table. He would examine each vessel lovingly. Then he would touch the most favourite dish of his with the tip of of his index finger and taste it with the tip of his outstretched tongue. We would all be sitting there watching him with awe. He was indeed a human lizard!
    Sri

3. Cheeniya

@satchitananda
    My dear Satchi
    Hearing you say this must be shocking and dismaying to the lizard. I can imagine it running to the lands end crying 'Why me?' like Damien in Omen 2. I find this difficult to associate you with such harsh intolerance, having known you as very tolerant and peace-loving person. I know that if the lizard had been a bird and not a 'critter', you would have photographed it a hundred times. When you say that your revulsion is genetic, I am tongue-tied. I can just say, 'God forgive her. She knows not what she is saying'. Lizards are the most misunderstood 'critters'. They have no malice. If they are all non vegetarians, blame it on the creator.
    Will continue my defense of the peace loving lizards.
    Sri

Viswamitra and satchitananda like this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Irrespective of whether I love lizards or not, sir, I totally love your spirited defence of the 'paavam critters'. I agree they are paavam, they are like God created them, but ..... I am human too and certainly entitled to some likes and dislikes too! :anguished:

Fact is they are scared of me - the poor things don't know I not only loathe them, I am even terrified of them! So we keep staring at each other totally hypnotized, neither daring to make the first move.

Viswamitra likes this.
  5. Cheeniya

@shyamala1234
    Et tu my dear Syamala?
    Why such hatred for them?
    Then you must hear this episode from Shirdi Sai Baba's story from Sai Sat Charita:

"Now we close this Chapter, with a story of two little lizards. Once Baba was sitting in the Masjid. A devotee sat in front of Him, when a lizard tick-ticked. Out of curiosity, the devotee asked Baba whether this tick-ticking of the lizard signified anything; was it a good sign or a bad omen? Baba said that the lizard was overjoyed as her sister from Aurangabad was coming to see her. The devotee sat silent, not making out the meaning of Baba's words. Immediately, a gentleman from Aurangabad came on horse-back to see Baba. He wanted to proceed further, but his horse would not go, as it was hungry and wanted grams. He took out a bag from his shoulders to bring grams and dashed it on the ground to remove dirt. A lizard came out therefrom and in the presence of all, climbed up the wall. Baba asked the questioner devotee to mark her well. She at once went strutting to her sister. Both sisters met each other after a long time, kissed and embraced each other, whirled round and danced with love! Where is Shirdi and where is Aurangabad? How should the man on horse-back come there from Aurangabad with the lizard? And how should Baba make the prophesy of the meeting of the two sisters? All this is really very wonderful and proves the omniscience -- the all-knowing nature of Baba."
    Shri Baba too must have been very tolerant of lizards and studied their habits at length!
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

@satchitananda
    Be like Indusladies. We have provision for only 'Likes' and not Dislikes. And you are the greatest dispenser of Likes in the community!

satchitananda likes this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

One more like to that, CS. :) BTW, it would be nice if IL had options for 'love' too.

8. Cheeniya

satchitananda likes this.
  9. Neelaa

Neelaa Bronze IL'ite

I am along with satchi ji in notso lizard liking group. First time, I read someone admires lizard.. You reminded by grandmother. She lived in a village thatched house till her last days. one of her companions were lizards. Surrounded by trees and plant, lizards run on the floor, wall roof like regular visitors. There killing lizards, even snakes were considered sin. I had heard lizard making noise all the time during the day, oldies, while chatting if they hear lizard cry, they take it as God's sign on related matters. Lol. I was brought up in city, there too had seen lizards roaming on the walls, but never heard them making sound like in village, even my mom used to wonder why. Whatever, coming to UK is a great relief from lizards to me.

10. Cheeniya

@Neelaa
    Dear Neelaa
    It's a great pity that you had not taken after your grandmother. If I am not this old, I would start a 'Love Lizards Club', LLC in short. Membership would be restricted to only those who could write at least ten laudatory sentences about lizards. They are the most wronged creatures in the world. You hear of people dying of snake bites and mosquito bites but have you ever heard of anyone dying because of lizard bite? They are the only creatures that can walk on the ceiling facing upside down. Try doing it and you will understand how special they are.
    Sri

satchitananda and Viswamitra like this.