1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Limelight

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by blackbeauty84, Jul 27, 2018.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

That was the dream moment for Ganesh. Finally people are going to notice him for his skills.He could visualize the local newspaper headlines

Senior Citizen helps cracking a murder case

Sixty year old turns Sherlock Holmes

He put on his best clothes and got ready.‘Where are you going when the whole street is in shock?’ his wife asked. She was narrating the incident to her daughter over phone.

As Ganesh expected police constable knocked his door.‘Did you observe anything suspicious in the opposite house?’ Constable asked.

Ganesh’s wife sprang from nowhere and said ‘ No..we didn’t see anything.’This irked Ganesh. How dare she steal his moment ‘ Shut up Lakshmi’ He glared at his wife .He looked at the constable and said ‘Actually I saw a person entering the house that evening. I have seen him before as well.’ He said.

The alert constable immediately informed inspector and inspector to left the scene of murder to get the witness report from Ganesh.

Ganesh was on cloud nine. It’s time to showcase the world his skills. He had a amazing memory and gave attention to details. During his childhood, his parents were amazed to find out when a 3 year old Ganesh asked his mom

‘Are we going to meet doctor now?’ His mother recalled that months before while visiting the doctor, she wore the same saree. His parents proudly boasted his talent in neighbourhoodand he became famous. He would easily recollect when each relative visited home, what they wore, what they talked etc

Ganesh performed well in studies and got a government job. He thought that would be a place to showcase his skills. Few months into the job, he reported about a person to his manager.

‘Sir I noticed his leave details, he takes leave on alternate wednesday stating the reason as family function…. and also he doesn’t maintain the working hours.’

‘Thanks for bringing to my notice Ganesh. I’ll take necessary actions.’ His manager replied.Ganesh thought his manager noticed his special talent wherein reality his manager was annoyed.

Person like this is dangerous. What if he reports about everything happening here? Be careful about him.’His manager warned about Ganesh to others. Thus Ganesh’s work was never appreciated in office.He badly wanted to change his career and get into some other role which would suits his skills, but his family situation prevented him from quitting. He was transferred many times, promotions were delayed but somehow he completed his tenure and now almost a year into retirement.

Ganesh and his wife choose to settle down in a calm sub urban area post retirement. The focus on attention to details never left him. He used to sit on the house balcony and absorb milkma is late by three minutes, the street shopkeeper’s son drops his kerchief every time when crosses the neighbour’s daughter is drying her clothes, etc. One of his favorite people to watch is the woman in the opposite house called Madhu.

Madhu was a single woman living alone in the house. It was said that she works in a BPO. Ganesh observed that she leaves house around 7.47-7.53 pm and returns back around 8.00 to 8.07am. He has also observed many days she doesn’t leave to work. Occasionally he has seen some male visitors , visiting the house. He has seen the particular person wearing black t-shirt, black jeans with a big sun glasses visiting her house around five times in last two months. Last he saw him entering the house two days before. Ganesh didn’t notice him the going out.

For the whole day yesterday,no one saw Madhu coming out of the house. It was when the weekly maid came to the house for cleaning they noticed , Madhu was dead. Her maid found her hanging from the bedroom fan. This sent shock waves to the sleepy area.

Ganesh was happy to share all this information to the police inspector. The suspect- person wearing black T shirt wore adidas shoes and big sized fasttrack sun glasses. He always carried his white handkerchief. He must be aged between 5’10 to 5’11, dark complexion, had a quick walk.

Inspector patiently noted all the details and thanked Ganesh. He warned Ganesh against revealing this information to media as it might warn the suspect. Madhu’s death was much talked about in local newspaper next day. Ganesh waited for further call from police and to his annoyance he didn’t receive any.

Local newspapers revealed ‘Girl hanged herself because of acute stomach pain.’

Disappointed Ganesh visited the police station where he found the constable talking to other person. ‘I almost believed in the witness Ganesh’s statement. But inspector had doubut from the beginning. Come to think out it why would you even notice the shoe make and kerchief of person visiting opposite house. There is no proof to what he says. The girl’s neighbour never noticed anyone visiting her.Also there was a suicide note at the house.’

They say Right skills at the Right Time in the Right Place. Ganesh could never get everything right.

VinuthaS, 1Sandhya, sindmani and 2 others like this.

2. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

So sad for Ganesh.....His skills were never any use to him

3. Adharv

Adharv Gold IL'ite

:hearteyes::hearteyes::lol: no idea what to tell about the story....but I pity Mr Ganesh....:facepalm:

Very well narrted and fantastic. :clap2::clap2: unexpected end. :crybaby2:

4. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

5. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

Well said! Poor Ganesh, if he had noticed people's mind like he noticed what he saw, he would have long back understood how his skill would be seen by others and learnt how to use it without sounding stupid.

6. blackbeauty84

mm yes..some peoples skills are often wasted

7. blackbeauty84

:) Thanks for the feedback Adharv. Have a great day ahead.

8. blackbeauty84

9. MSNR

MSNR New IL'ite

10. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

You have a real talent. Superb. Amazing. Each story is so unique. I first read your serial killer story and got hooked. Now am searching out rest of your stories. Each feels so real I mean a real persons story like this one I was expecting he will finally get the credit but in the reality what you narrated actually this is what happens.

I can’t help but ask ‘are these based on real life incidents or are they really fictional?’ Each is so concise, so precise, in few words you calmly set the situation and nothing extra really wow! How do you do it?

Really enjoying so God bless you and may you continue to create like this.