1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Last Word

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Feb 8, 2017.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

2. satchitananda

BH for Brahmahatti! Love that! Yes, that should be very apt in this case too! :-D

3. satchitananda

Talking to your fitness equipment??? Your wife has my sympathies! Balajee, there was a time when I loved sour too, but with GERD, it is increasingly difficult to eat sour stuff. It is impossible to keep a cook in good humour if she has to cook separate stuff for two individuals especially when she thinks she is cooking for an army. My reminders to her to reduce the amount are futile. Yes, chana and sambar do taste better the longer the flavour seeps in ..... but sambar for 4 days at a stretch? That is testing my endurance to the limit!

4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Saatchi,
    Ghar Ghar ki Kahaani.
    Newly married couple always want to please each other. Wife tries to make innovative dishes, recipe cuttings, searching internet, collect recipes from friends and on and on. For husband whatever she cooks is amrutham. Fast forward.....both lose mitivation.Everything bevomes monotonous...same sambar, dal and subjees taste. Husband sits at the table and eats, no comments....just testing. If asked the answer is it is good.
    I use a big safety pin for strings.
    Syamala

satchitananda likes this.
  5. satchitananda

Sigh! It is tough when a very 'practical' couple (right from the word 'go') turn into a 'settled down' couple. Silence would not be so bad after all, it is the constant complaining that makes things hard. Talk of which I seem to be the one complaining about sambar, dal and same subzees!!! :-/

6. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

I had a grand father-in-law at home.He always complained of everything.If he kept quiet it meant that coffee was good.Everybody prayed for his silence when coffee was served to him.If boys enter kitchen,they were considered to be girlish.If they just take up the broom for a second,the incident seemed to drive away Mahalaxmi and welcome her elder sister.
    Now for the past 20 years after retirement my DH helps a lot in the kitchen.Main job is holding the top of the mixie when the switch is on.He won't do cleaning of the mixie etc.On many occasions while cutting beans he didn't know what to keep and what to throw away into the garbage.If I say,"we have enough bindis at home, don't buy'he will take it as though I asked him to buy bindis.

There started the habit of making'to do' list.Now he is an expert in preparing a mega list of'to do' things without a single slip.This ability of his helps us a lot whenever we arrange for any function, plan our trip abroad etc.He is popularly known as 'list Jayaraman' in our family circles.The list includes monthly groceries,list for poojas, annual death ceremonies,Sastri's break-up list for dakshinai.He could easily find out if Pundits demanded any extra amount.
    Both of our earnings combined worked out to less than Rs 500and we had five mouths to feed,he used to prepare monthly budget in a notebok the day prior to salary,get some 15 brown covers for 5p each.Those days we had lot of changes.He had a check list and placed the amounts like groceries,Railway pass, milk, butter and ghee,fruits vegetables,medicals, miscellaneous, miscellaneous not enumerated ,savings( RD for Rs 20),ceremony expenses etc etc and placed them in different covers so that we may not suffer at the fag end of the month.This meticulous planning he inherited from his grandfather and it was in my blood too.

We have lot of contrivances to convert the excess remnants into fresh items with beaten rice, semiya etc.dosa batter etc.
    Life goes on with less problems these days.We should live long to enjoy more, as intimacy and empathy increase with age.

Jayasala 42

joylokhi, satchitananda and jssd like this.
  7. satchitananda

Dear JS Ma'am,

sorry for the delay in replying. Totally loved the way things were so organized and planned down to the last detail. It is a good thing though that all involved in this household were similarly inclined. Throw a type A and a throw B personality together and it is a perfect recipe for disaster.