1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Last Word

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Feb 8, 2017.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

The pen is mightier than the sword, it might be said. Never mind the fact that in this era of computers, one may safely replace the 'pen' with a 'keyboard'. So here I am once again ..... being married has its own advantages. One has a captive muse to write about. And it is even more advantageous when said muse keeps doing things (not quite consciously, but by sheer force of Nature) which even if not very amusing at first give one sufficient ammunition to get one's own back.

Talking of backs, it did me in in more ways that one. "The way to a man's heart is through the stomach" right. Well, it did not quite start that way, but it actually stemmed from the fact that I am such a foodie. So I cooked great meals (even if I say so myself) and had the BH eating out of my hands. Came the 'back' episode and after a couple of cooks who came and went, the third one made sure to consolidate her position strongly in my kitchen.

In the mean time, the one who ate out of my hands has also entered the period when human beings go through a mid life crisis. His has made him extremely fussy about his food. He loves his yoghurt to bubble so he can hold a conversation with it before he eats it. All food needs to be sour. If the yoghurt is not sour enough, he adds lemon juice to it! Now no matter what one cooks, it is not sour enough or it is too bland, not enough salt or too much of spice or not enough spice or too much salt - basically, whatever is not becomes the most desirable state of affairs.

What a waste of having a Lady Anatole in your employ if all you ask her to make is sandwiches, lemon rice, pulav, vegetable rice every day till one gets on to the next phase which could be chappatis, dal and mixed veggies (with the same combo of veggies cooked in the exact same way day after day)! But that is how it works. Not to mention Lady Anatole who thinks we are starving and makes enough sambar to last for 4 days at a stretch.

So it is that I threw in my towel a couple of days ago and told him that he had to instruct the cook on whatever he wanted cooked and on days when she failed to appear he would have to do all the cooking himself. Forget the fact that I am deeply depressed about my value in the house having been brought down to zilch. Everything happens for good. Let him learn to do some real work in the kitchen. It might stand him in good stead after I am gone. Also 20 years of experience tells me that it is a passing cloud.

And right enough it was. "Can you pull out the string in this pyjama" asked the BH this evening when he came back. He has this amazing ability to keep sending one end of the string in while pulling out the other end a couple of inches but the child does not know how to pull out the end that went in. Aha! A God given opportunity to get my own back. Let it slip and God will send me back to earth to do what I did not - enjoy getting my own back. "Are you sure I am capable of doing that job properly" I asked looking askance at him. "Yes" he said meekly. I could not keep a straight face. That has been my weakness all my life. Anyway, I had the last word!

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,
    Tch Tch. what sort of odd jobs u have to do eh ! HAHA
    Food does get montonous at home. That is why i tell harsha that if the ladies in theneighbourhood were to exchange reci[pes , life would be palatising .HAHA

Great post, hilarious.
    Regards
    kamal

satchitananda and joylokhi like this.
  3. satchitananda

Yes the oddest job is having to play mommy to a middle aged man and his mother!

joylokhi and Kamalji like this.
  4. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Quite good. Ha..ha... what would you have Jeeves do to get you back ?

And by the way, one trick to thwart those zealous pyjama string pullers, is to fix the string on the very back, at the middle with a few stitches. That way, no matter which end is pulled, the pyjama's waist would adjust down, and the string would never come out of be pulled into the pyjama loop.

Lady Anatole !! Here is a gift:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    satchitananda likes this.
  5. satchitananda

Hey Nonya, thanks so much for the wonderful gift. :-D Enjoyed watching the video. Now that's a good trick for strings! Why did I not think of this before?

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,
    After 57 years of married life I am unable to teach my DH even to use a lighter to light the gas stove. When I fall sick if I ask him to get a glass of hot water he will be searching the match box to light the gas. But I am thankful to him that at least he connects the gas cylinder when the gas is finished which I can't do.
    PS

7. jssd

jssd Bronze IL'ite

Haa haa
    Can't hold it... what does BH expand to....
    J

8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Don't we always do that for under-skirt strings, Children's petti-coat strings, and salwar-suit-bottoms strings. Our children had been taught to do that themselves, as the first thing they do with any waist string garment that is bought online, or brought home from a store. If you have a sewing machine at home, it is very fast to do. Just stick the pyjama back under the presser foot, check to make sure that the string is even on both sides (once again) and run the machine back and forth a couple of time. Voila... you will not be annoyed by children or spouse anymore. Happy life to ya'.

9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Hi Satchi,

I am a foodie too but give opinions only when asked. Otherwise, I consume what is given without any face expressions unless someone forgot to put salt completely. One day, my wife complained, "It is difficult to come up with ideas as to what to cook everyday". I replied, "You take it easy today and I will cook". She was pleasantly surprised and with my MIL encouraging that idea, she decided to give it a try. I have prepared the most delicious food right proportion of everything like my grandma. My mother-in-law was delighted and told many times that it tasted like food prepared by her MIL. My wife was very happy. Then my MIL asked, "If you are this talented, why don't you offer to help your wife everyday?"

I responded, "Look at the face of your daughter when I relish the food prepared by her. Why should I deprive her that pleasure?" Now my wife and MIL are away, I prepare my own food and eat. :)

Viswa

Akanksha1982 and satchitananda like this.
  10. satchitananda

No, I did not know this trick myself. And no, no kids - the only child in question is the BH! :p