1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Kite Runner - By Khaled Hosseini

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Ashna, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Ashna

Ashna Bronze IL'ite

The Kite Runner - By Khaled Hosseini

This was one of the most moving books I have read in a long time. It opens your eyes to another world, yet the same problems of lifetime guilt, but set in the powerful world of Taliban ruled Afganistan. I was moved and changed by the experiences of the people in this novel. A powerful novel that has the power to change our lives and make us more humane to humanity and realize how small some of our realities really if we view in a world perspective.
    In nutshell It is an excellent book, that I could not put down at all, I read the whole book in 4 nights. It is great, I want to personally thank Mr Hosseini for writing such an excellent novel. Its Truly a thought-provoking novel.

Summary

Living with his wife among the community of Afghan exiles in San Francisco, Amir remains haunted by a shameful episode from his childhood—he betrayed the trust of Hassan, his playmate—and longs for the opportunity to make amends for his dishonorable behavior. The chance for redemption comes when Amir receives a phone call from a family friend exiled in Pakistan who informs him that the Taliban have executed Hassan and his wife. Their son must be rescued from a Kabul orphanage. Determined to find “a way to be good again,” Amir embarks on a dangerous journey back home to an Afghanistan transformed by the oppression of the Taliban.

Since it was published (2003), <CITE>The Kite Runner</CITE> has been lavishly praised by the critics, captivated readers across the country, and climbed steadily up the bestseller lists. Hosseini’s debut is a moving, evocative novel that explores “all the great themes of literature and life” (Isabel Allende) and offers readers a sweeping overview of three decades of Afghan history.

“Here’s a real find: a striking debut from an Afghan now living in the US…Rather than settle for a coming-of-age or travails-of-immigrants story, Hosseini has folded them both into this searing spectacle of hard-won personal salvation. All this, and a rich slice of Afghan culture too: irresistible.”

Enjoy, Ashna

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006

2. ani123

ani123 Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

Read Kite Runner ...wonderfull book.

I could stop crying for Haasan and Sohrab....lovely book!

A Must Read

3. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

I have started reading it.. Read Hosseini's other book " A Thousand Splendid Suns"... it was an awesome book.. He is indeed a marvellous writer.

4. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

I have read both of this author's books...I was strongly moved by "A thousand splendid suns" more because I could really feel for those two desperate women. I could never imagine there is such a place in this world where women are exploited, beaten, secluded and whatnot.

He is a very good author. I am looking forward to reading his future books.

Jaya

5. rose2000

rose2000 Silver IL'ite

I have read both his books and loved both equally.

6. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hi
    I read both thebooks.

I liked :Kite Runner more. "Thousand Splendid Suns" was too depressive for me to read.

he is a good writer..

7. sudhak90

sudhak90 Senior IL'ite

khaled hosseini is a writer par excellence..
    both his books a thousadn splendid suns adn kite runner brought tears to my eyes..

i'd recommend one adn all to read these books- and we 'll feel we're really really lucky..

8. vennelaaaa

vennelaaaa Bronze IL'ite

I have read both The Kite runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns...
    both are awesome....and both made me cry !