1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Itching!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Aug 31, 2017.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

The itching !!!!

As a total stranger in Hubli, then Mysore now Karnataka, year 1964, on a official visit to select one from the applicants for dealership of the products, the company I represented. Travelled from then Bangalore now Bangaluru, made acquaintance with a passenger on the train, a native from North, also on business to Hubli, agreed to share room in a hotel he knew.

Carrying Cash being only option to meet expenses, keeping it in hiding from the newly befriended room mate, not finding it next morning, leading to suspicion on him but not able to express for sure, call office in then Madras in Madras, now Chennai in Tamilnadu receive telegraphic MO next day, found the hidden 100 rupee notes within the pages of a thick book I had purchased during the journey.

By that time the friend had left the station. Why trusting people is so complex? Did he also hide his money the way I did?

The itching remains even though Mysore is now Karnataka, Bangalore as Bangaluru and Madras in Madras is Chennai in Tamilnadu.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hariji,
    Trusting and not trusting is a gut feeling. Depends sometimes on past experiences.
    Having doubts on someone and if later they prove wrong...we do feel guilty. It bugs a lot.
    Syamala

3. HariLakhera

Generally speaking everybody should be trusted until proved otherwise. For this very reason I did not even talk to him about the misplaced money.

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Hari Bhai
    You were right how can one trust a stranger.better safe than sorry.
    Regards
    Kamal

sindmani and HariLakhera like this.
  5. mushroomm

mushroomm Bronze IL'ite

Why to suspect? Instead had you given him the benefit of doubt and casually enquired if he had seen the rupee note, maybe he would have suggested you to check between the pages of the book and you both could have become good friends, loyal to each other, for years to come. A missed opportunity in my view.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    sindmani, HariLakhera and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. HariLakhera

Thanks Kamalji,
    You echoed by caution. That means trust people but be on guard. The itching is reducing.

Archanaanchan, sindmani and mushroomm like this.
  7. HariLakhera

Dear mushroomm,
    Food for thought. But it did not seem that simple then. On the one hand I was not sure where I kept the money and on the other hand I did not know how he will take it. I did not want to make a fool of myself. Above all he had all the good credentials of a man who could be trusted. But the question was where the money disappeared when we were asleep. What would Shakespeare say? To be or not to be.

Archanaanchan and mushroomm like this.
  8. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

It is human nature to instantly suspect the nearest person of wrongdoing . Sometimes gut feeling is proved right . But many times , we end up feeling foolish after knowing the truth . Even after a few incidents lie tgis , we continue to suspect because of the inborn fear of danger from others .

sindmani likes this.
  9. HariLakhera

Very true SCSusilaji,
    That's human nature. If someone me thing is missing from the house first suspect is the house maid. If something is missing from the room, the first suspect is the room partner, if any.

10. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Hariji, You could have formed a Gold Bond with the roommate by trusting him !

Archanaanchan and Naari like this.