The importance of VEDAS in our culture.

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Vandhana, My favourite is.....

I love to listen to Rudram & Chamakam very much & that just transports me to another plane. Actually, any vedam casette has something attractive in it, that listening to it, just soothes you, unknowingly.
    Thanks for your mail.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Treasure trove!

Yes, another one from you Chitra! Nevermind if it is a little difficult to understand, atleast it is possible to know about it and grasp what little we can. It is a drop that makes an ocean. I may not ever attain the ocean, but can atleast have the pleasure of the drops!
    I too enjoy listening to the vedantic chants and hymns being recited. I shall appreciate if you or others can name some good recordings that are easily available in the music stores ( as opposed to those recorded in special ashrams) to buy.

L, Kamla

3. Chitvish

Thankyou, Kamala !

Please do not think, only you are a drop in the ocean - we are all similar in that respect. It is easy to omit reading something, assuming we will not understand it. But why not try "Come what may, I will not give up " attitude ? It is the determination which takes us half way through.
    In karnataka CD s by Challakare Brothers are available & very good. In Chennai we get Prakash Koushik's Rudram chamakam & many others. If you want I can do a " market research " of the latest releases & get back to you ! It will be my pleasure, my friend !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

4. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

vedic chants on CDs

Dear Chitra,

Your posts definitely make everything understandable & easy to follow.
    No doubt about that. But I still wonder why women are not favoured to learn vedas.

could you pls tell me what are shanti mantras??? are these also available in record forms so I can buy them??? I'll check out CD s by Challakare Brothers. In the meantime, if you are finding out the latest, pls, pls, pls, do let us know.

thanks & regards,

5. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

I agree !!

Thanks Chitra for your thoughts. I think I must first learn what is available and then worry about what is restrcted.
    :)

6. Chitvish

Encouraging F B !

Dear Meena,
    I have given all the shanthi mantras in
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11012&postcount=63
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11014&postcount=65
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11015&postcount=66
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11016&postcount=67
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11017&postcount=68
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11018&postcount=69
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11019&postcount=70

I recite the above everyday. Meena, when there are so many mantras enough & more of us to chant everyday, why bother about , what is not allowed by some schools of thought ? Sometimes, old-fashioned as I may sound, I think we are carrying the concept of equality too far ! Chanting veda mantras in the right meter & tone is physically very demanding & strenuous - may be, that is why
    men took over that "portfolio" !
    I will do window-shopping for veda CDs & get back at my earliest !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

7. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

sorry, C. for the double work.....

Dear Chitra,

thank you so much for giving the links for shanthi mantras.
    I've these printed out but thought shanthi mantras are different.
    I don't believe in the equality concept but thought before God we are equal.
    but then, your explanation is surely convincing.
    Like Sumanr has rightly put it, we'll learn whatever is available and then worry about the restricted ones..

would just love to do some window shopping with you. looking forward to that day. right now, I'll wait for your posts.

Love & regards,

8. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

nice explantions!

Dear Chithra,
    It was a pleasant explanation. Could understand what vedas are meant.
    Next time - I have a request- pls write" why caste system" in Hindu religion. I just want to know about it.
    Most of our friends are from Hindu religion, but no body could explain it. During studies many of my friends were Namboodiri, Nair, Kuruppu etc There were some students in the class who are not white like the higher caste, they were grouped into scheduled tribe/caste. This really made me sad, I know before years they were not allowed even to enter the temple. So I would ask my friends why there are lower and upper tribe? They were not aware of this to answer.
    Dear chithra, I hope you could give me an answer.
    thank you,

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  9. Chitvish

I will be brief, Safa, there is so much to write !

VARNA DHARMA describes the duties prescribed for each caste. It is sad that the word " caste" has come to be entirely misunderstood over time. People living all over the world are classified into 4 types, first based on the occupation they do & second based on one's inner mental qualities.
    First classification : Brahmins were classified the " thinking class" & were of an intellectual nature. Kshatriyas are persons who can ACT on ideas & are the natural born leaders of the society. Vaishyas are people who have a propensity to produce wealth not only for themselves, but for society at large.
    Sudras are those who perform service & practical labour. The main point is that everybody is capable of doing one thing or another & no category is in anyway inferior to the other. In fact everyone of us is a 4 in 1 !
    The division was originally based on action & quality & NOT ON BIRTH. The last was man made, rather society made ! Manu smriti says everyone is actually born as raw material of life, from which anything can be made.
    The caste-by-birth was not the original intent nor the basis upon which the VARNAS were actually divided . This has happened only in the last several hundred years.
    A cup of coffee is made of water, coffee powder, milk & sugar.Similarly all the 4 castes make their own contributions to the betterment of society. None is superior to the other - it is a fallacy to think so. The system was formed so that all component parts called castes should work in harmony & with dedication. But the present degraded condition is only due to humanity's greed, selfishness, priide, arrogance & other such negative qualities.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

10. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Excellent explanation

Hello Chithra,
    That was an excellent expalnation u have written abt the caste system.
    Wld enlighten the younger generation to appreciate a person by his qualities and talent and not based on which caste he/she belongs to.
    Let us all join hands to strenghten our India which is free of discrimination and jealousy and greed and all such negative qualities.
    bye.