1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Hunt!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Oct 31, 2011.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Suresh was all excited to be taken as a helper to that group, that came from America. The forest officer Rangaraju asked him to go along with them and guide them if required, in that tiger reserve. Along with that task, Suresh also had to carry their heavy equipments when required.

He was a local boy, from a nearby village and ran small errands to the ranger and other officers. In return, they gave him money / allowed him to roam in the forest [which is the thing that he loved most] and sometimes, collect honey. That forest had about 10 - 12 tigers and got denser as you go deep inside. Suresh thought that the foreigners had been there to take photographs / video of tigers for some TV channel and was licking his lips in anticipation, thinking about the money that he might get. He used to reminisce those good old days when there was no such setup [preservation facility et all] and his grandpa and he freely roamed. His grandpa used to say to him - "Never fear these wild animals! Fear the men instead!".

Suresh knew the forest like the back of his palm and it was only few years before, the forest department had turned it into a tiger habitat and got tigers from somewhere else. Suresh always went in broad daylight and never went without an armed company that too. These foreigners too, had their guns, and he thought that they loaded it with tranquilizers instead of bullets. Their intention was different. There were three of them and they wanted to hunt and kill a tiger and take it with them. They had already bribed Rangaraju heavily and he knew how to arrange for the transport as well as accounting for tiger. He had also deactivated the alarms that would alert the forest department if, anyone entered into / exited from a guarded area in the forest.

They started at half an hour before dusk and set out for the tigers. Suresh took them to the path where he saw them in earlier occasions [of course, from a distance] and to the little pond where they came for water. But that day, there wasn't any. Not even the sight of them. The foreigners were disappointed and vowed to return the next day.

They all went back to the ranger's tent and Suresh was sent off, with an order to come back early the next day. They all ate, smoked and boozed. And felt very sultry in that hot night. Rangaraju gave them some mats and coir beds and he too, joined them. They all were too drunk then and he forgot to turn on the alarm.

The next morning Suresh found mangled remains of what were four human beings before.

2. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

People like these should be well punished like this every now and then!

3. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Sabari, for your quick feedback. -rgs

4. iniyamalar

iniyamalar Gold IL'ite

fantastic..instant justice!

These tiny stories of yours are something I come here to read when I need a short break. They are like kit-kat and I really like them a lot.

Thnx rgs..

5. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The hunters become the hunted, serves them right!! screams my righteous mind, but the hunters have now unknowingly tempted the tigers to turn into man-eaters, endangering the life of people who live in peace with nature and love it, like suresh! Even justice is double edged!!

A great one rgs!!

Akila

6. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Iniyamalar, for your appreciation. Happy to note that my stories provide you a short break at times. Besides, I have a complex plot and am etching some characters [hero / heroine / 2 lead characters already complete. Others take time] now. If I am convinced, then I will be writing a short novel again. Thanks again. -rgs

7. rgsrinivasan

Knowing Rangaraju's character, I wouldn't be surprised if he played with the food given to the tigers too, forcing them to look for prey elsewhere. Thanks very much for your nice feedback Akila. -rgs

8. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

As usual ..Good one Rgs!

9. rgsrinivasan

Thanks very much for your continuous support and feedbacks Nihasvin. -rgs

10. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai RGS,

One more very fragrant fur on your cap. Well written.