1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Hoopla Over Buying Property/house

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by chasingdreams, Mar 27, 2018.

1. chasingdreams

chasingdreams Bronze IL'ite

My native is a tier 2 city and hubby's is a village. He was born and brought up in the middle east and parents retired to the village. Now MIL is a widow and lives there. We have been scouting property/houses for over 6 years now.
    My husband doesnt want to buy a flat since we live abroad and god knows when we will return. The prospect of renting out the flat and paying maintenance amount after retirement doesn't appeal to him. We tried looking for land, in my place,his place and another tier 2 city closer to his native.
    The problems are: Land in the tier 2 city is costly .Even if we consider it, we do not know any one who lives there personally. Real estate agents are tying to rip us off and possibility of encroachement since we are not in a position to check on the property frequently.
    In his native, again people are quoting exuberant prices.i also have an objection in that its a village, i do not gel well with the neighbors. when I hit my sixties, i envisioned going to some libraries,literary/art fests,eating out in cozy restaurants,pursuing hobbies like yoga and (heaven forbid ) if I am the one to be left behind in old age, i want to be able to go out and about alone like to the movies, hospitals should be near by. I dont see all this happening if we end up in his village.
    In my hometown, we have good contacts with the people in the city.dad is active socially and serves in few cultural associations. It's easier to find a property with out the fear of being cheated- like money and other legal hurdles. though i am not keen on settling there, i definitely prefer it over hubby's place.
    My hubby asked me to ask few of my relatives including my parents to look for property in my place. but he keeps giving excuses each time..sometimes price is too high, plot is not big enough, wants a square plot, access road is not wide enough etc i am being rediculed by my people f i ask for help now.
    The current situation is my parents found a plot which matches all his requirements and now he is saying if we dont intend to settle there, why look in my native. i told him we can build a house and rent it out or re-sell it at some later point.will be a good investment. he refuses and i am exasperated. I feel the real reason is my MIL will not be happy with us buying a property in my place. We had a major fight over it and now still mad at each other.
    Am I being unreasonable? and thinking only about my convenience? I do not see us buying anything reasonable with out my parent's help. we are inching towards our mid forties and when i see our friends crossing such milestones in their life, i get upset.

2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

I love your plans for old age ! Let me know I will buy a plot right next to years !!
    Jokes apart, if this is causing so much stress in the marriage postpone the idea of buying something in India. Or find a third neutral city or town .

nakshatra1 likes this.
  3. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

OP,

Your DH is right. My view is also the same, buy and settle when it is needed.

We have a apartment gifted from my parents, it is nothing but a hassle. It costs money to maintain and, I didn't even spend a day in the place. It feels outdated (not even 6 years old, brand new when it was given) with electrical appliances, cabinets, bath rooms etc.

4. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

OP- your concerns are valid. I wouldn't want to end up in a village either ( no offense to the villages, my paternal family still resides in a village). I am younger than you but my parents were in the same situation as you maybe a few years earlier. They bought a plot with the help of my Nana in my mom's city . He helped them with every official work - registry etc as my father was in a transferable job .Although they eventually never built a house there, but that plot still stands as an investment.And its price is increasing yearly.They bought another plot in the same city some years later when my father was actually retiring and built a house there.Being in a city, it's easier for my father to get his pension , be near medical care and live the life they like.It is also an hour away from his own village so they keep visiting the relatives frequently. My father used to say a number of times too to settle in hisvillage but he never did so when the time came.Its not practical for someone who has been living city life . And Indian villages aren't exactly like their Euro counterparts.You can ask your H to buy a plot in your native city if you both have enough money at hand and look at it as investment. But your own family has to be on board to help you both with official matters, boundary etc as you are overseas .You can leave it as a plot ,no need to build a house right away.Later , you can build the house there and ask your MIL to come and stay with you or sell it at a good price.And if he still doesn't listen, leave him be.Dont worry too much about retirement because he himself won't be able to live in the village for long after having been away for so long and will end up buying a place in a city .

Sandycandy likes this.
  5. chasingdreams

Thanks @Sandycandy .Glad you like my plans for post -retirement life :). I want to be a non-intrusive MIL for my kids' spouses in future. So thought will plan ahead to keep myself engaged. Would love to have you as my neighbour/buddy too...we can have crazy fun together:beer-toast1: My DH keeps postponing evreything in life sighting that we are yet to make an investment towards owr own abode, like buying a new sofa set, planning a vacation etc. He saves and in the end gives the money away to relatives when we visit India. This is driving me nuts . May be I should just be resigned to all this and back off..better for my peace of mind anyway

nakshatra1 and Sandycandy like this.
  6. chasingdreams

@poovai yup.you do have a point. My problem is I am obsessively organized about everything in my life and like to plan out everything in my life to the very minute detail.I plan and make check lists even for a trip to the cinemas while DH is laid back and doesn't bother about anything much

7. chasingdreams

@Deborah Thank you so much for the reply. I will just note down the points you have mentioned and try to wear my dh down with it slowly with out bugging him . DH also doesnt prefer the village. But he has a habit of taking the opposite view as to mine just to piss me off. His only connection with the village is that his mom lives there.other than that he doesnt much care for the place.

8. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Most of the DH are like this, I don't know what you can do - either convince him or else try to become financially independent if possible.
    Not possible to waste all energy all the time to convince DH to secure the future.

9. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

You can sell it, or gift it back to your parents if you are not able to afford the maintenance. Whatever the maintenance may be, the value of the property will be much more.

poovai likes this.
  10. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

My sis rented her place and lives in our place, rent-free. We have no intention of selling it, we may use it as family guest house.

Value of the place is sky-racketed!