The Harrassment Acccusations On The Indian Origin American Comedian Aziz Ansari.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by silentlistener, May 28, 2018.

1. silentlistener

silentlistener Silver IL'ite

Aziz Ansari is a Indian origin American Actor - Comedian. A popular guy. A woman who dated with him, (calls herself, Grace to protect her real identity), lashed out at him , describing how he made her feel so uncomfortable, when she went with him to his apartment after the end of the dinner in that date.

Subsequent to that, the US media wrote for and against the anonymous female victim.

The Canadian journalist and Crime Reporter , Ashleigh Banfield came in defense of Ansari. Her critical views on the anonymous woman Grace’s accusations on Aziz Ansari have received wide media attention.

The said critical view is that, it is just a ‘bad date’ between two consenting adults. Any ‘bad date’ between two consenting adults should have been sorted out privately. The anonymous accuser , Grace, has used the tempo of # me too movement, to take revenge on Aziz Ansari, in a very unfair way.

Because, in between Aziz and his girlfriend, there is no power involved, there is no coercion involved, there is no threat involved, it can not be called an ‘assault’ or ‘harrassment’. The way Grace has spoiled the career of Aziz Ansari is very unfair.

Do you agree with Ashleigh Banfield’s views on the female victim in Aziz Ansari incident ?

This is what Ashleigh says :

another interview on the same topic :

Sunshine04 likes this.
  2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

I agree with Banfield. In fact, when I read about that issue for the first time, the thought that crossed my mind was that the lady spent time with him even after that event. Then what was the purpose behind accusing publically after a while? I guess it was more of a well planned framing than mere #metoo.

silentlistener likes this.
  3. silentlistener

Yes. The incident occurred last September but she went to the press after several months gap timing well with the occasion of an award to be given to him for best comedian. It's an act of Revenge. It has nothing to do with #me too moment.

In my opinion Aziz Ansari is the victim and the abuser is that anonymous woman ,'Grace'

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  4. silentlistener

@Rihana @Gauri03 @Rakhii

Do you agree with the critical comments of Ashleigh Banfield in the above context ?

5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I totally agree. This was a case of a bad date where both individuals were tipsy and made poor decisions. The woman regretted the date but claiming it was an assault because she felt uncomfortable afterwards is a stretch. Just because you regret your actions you can't absolve yourself of all responsibility and claim you were coerced. I have no doubt the date was uncomfortable and awkward based on her own account, and Aziz admits he was pushy (probably because he was drunk), the fact remains that she consented to whatever happened. There is a lesson in this for both of them but this does not pertain to the #metoo movement.

I have to say that to the credit of the mainstream media and the #metoo movement, neither were in a rush to embrace these accusations and for the most part Aziz Ansari did receive fair treatment.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    silentlistener likes this.
  6. silentlistener

Great to know that !

It's being said that Aziz Ansari's comedy actor career will get compromised due to this allegations. Is that true ?

The US media handled the entire episode neutrally and responsibly.

Had the same incident occurred in India then the case would have been totally different. The entire media would have ganged up against Ansari and would have fit the entire theory in #meetoo movement.

7. silentlistener

@ChennaiExpress

If you have time, please go through the first post of me in this thread, and write your views on the incident