1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Guernsey Literary And Potato Peel Pie Society- Book Review

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by blackbeauty84, Jan 23, 2019.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

As I do for most of the books, I picked it just because of the interesting title. Written by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows, this was brilliant piece of work.

This book talks about German occupation of channel Island during world war two, the interesting thing is whole book is via letters exchanged between the residents of island and an author attempting to write about the experience.

Guernsey portrayed in the book is warm and full f life. I loved the way strong characters are portrayed in the book and the important thing is all are connected for their love for literature. I’m always drawn towards books of strong female characters and Juliet of this book never ceased to amaze me. You travel along with characters such that you become saddened by Elizabeth death, you become worried about Remi and pray that Dawsey makes a right choice.

The ending was a bit abrupt but nevertheless a very enjoyable read.

Gauri03 and Rihana like this.

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I have neither read the book nor seen the movie. You have kindled my interest. I'll run after them!

4. blackbeauty84

I heard good reviews about the movie too, planning to catch it soon. You should definitely try the book such a delightful read.

5. blackbeauty84

Yes go after them.

6. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

From Novalis to Blackbeauty

06 February 2018

Dear @blackbeauty84 ,

Word spread from the headland to the hinterland that you have been soliciting reviews of the book Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society for a site called IndusLadies. I knew about the former bestseller only recently as my library included it in the shelf of trending reads upon the release of the movie adaptation. I never borrowed that mouthful title till I chanced on your review last week. I downloaded the book immediately. Only today I could read the book, that too in a cramped flight caught in turbulence where 'potato peel' fascinated me than the piety of the co-passengers fervently praying for safe landing.

upload_2019-2-6_19-17-50.png

The book being an epistolary narrative, it took the length of five letters to get the hang of the major characters. Did I tell you that I get confused in epistolary style of writing? Finally I discerned that Juliet is the lead character with Sidney and Dawsey and Mark recurring as her mates in overlapping roles.

Did I tell you that I have a nose for language and not the ear which means I sniff words: pleasant, perfumed, stinky, noxious, so forth. The language is britty amusing alongside words like "benasties" and "billycan" and "goose-step" and "bibelot" and "rag and bone man" and "fichu".

Not taking to the book outright, like Kit leery of Juliet's presence on the island, gradually I was enamoured, than Markham Reynolds had been of Juliet, with the emerging characters in the book.

My favourite character is that phrenology-calipered, herb-bursting, Marple-inspired Isola Pribby. As Remy Giraud pointed to Elizabeth that she could never forget a name like that, I too think that the reader could never be underwhelmed with a character like the chirpy and secret-keeping Isola.

The turbulence has subsided. Finished the book. I am to explore askance the German occupation of Guernsey as every reader of the book would have been unmistakably curious. I realize now why the curfew-stricken gathering was named potato "peel" society. I should read those Letters of Seneca which uplifted John Booker who was only passingly inducted into the makeshift club like other members lured by the surreptitious pig roast. May be I should examine the love of Catullus for Lesbia fraught in a sparrow's disappearance which baffled Clovis Fossey. Do you think I should read some more of Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde to Isola's delight?

We didn't have a proper introduction in the past. I am worried like Juliet that you might think of me as "poor old thing is crazy as a coot, of course, but harmless" on reading this riffed post. What good is living if we are not crazy cooted and flighty like Mary Ann Shaffer, the main author of the book, had been when she abandoned the hot pursuit of Kathleen Scott, wife of the polar explorer Robert Falcon Scott in Cambridge, and ended up in the airport book store of Guernsey twenty years ago sparking her delight to write a novel about her instant fascination with the gutsy and recuperated islands.

Thank you for the nudge.

Yours,
    Novalis

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019