1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Green Eyed Monster

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Shanvy, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

"Raji's children are so well behaved. I wish mine would be obedient, so I'd look like a better parent."
    "Shalini, has got a new house. I wish I could be her!"

"Jean got the promotion at work when I deserved it!"

These are some of the things that we usually hear around us. what is common in the three situations. It all looks very simple all the top, but think again, these simple little thoughts sound more like jealousy??

According to the dictionary,jealous means "resentful or envious, of someone's success , achievements, etc.." ..well shakespere said it was a green eyed monster.
    ( O, beware, my lord, of jealousy;It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock,The meat it feeds on; that cuckold lives in bliss - In Othello)

The root cause for all this jealousy, is the feeling of a sense of something, that is not secure in thier life. Take the first case, she is uncertain about her parenting, In the third case, it stems from the feeling that others are preferred and are rewarded better.

The feeling is like a red cloth in front of a matador, telling you, there is some is a something lacking that you would like to have in your life be in love, a coveted job, success.

The first step towards overcoming the feeling would be to relax and understand what the feeling is telling you , accept the feeling instead of hiding it or ignoring it and learn to tackle it.

Stop comparing with others. When you compare, you are allowing your mind to establish that you are lacking, where some has what you lack.

When you start thinking too much on the lacking, it raises more negative emotions, intensifying the jealousy into something more stronger, and make you do something vicious like lashing out, hurting. That is when jealousy becomes envy. There is a thin line between the two, though they are synonmyns of each other.

Take the positive thought that there are other things that good about you. that there are better opportunities waiting. and a contentment thinking.this could help in erasing the feeling of jealousy.

Are you jealous of someone? Instead of acting maliciously and turning it into envy. you could become friends with them. learn to accept and express your appreciation of their achievement. This way you learn the ropes from them.

If you are aware that there is a person who is jealous of you and giving you a cold shoulder, try to understand, their behaviour is not because they actually dislike you, it is because they are jealous that they are not like you. By their actions, they could cut you down to thier level. but with a little compassion, and patience, we could change the cards on the table.

I remember reading a story, in a series about Vikramaditya. there was this King of Avanthi, who after hearing about the justice, good rule of Vikramaditya felt so jealous of him, that he wanted to excel and become better than Vikramaditya. One day a sage visits, Avanthi, the King putsforth his wish and asks him how he can achieve it. the sage gives me idea that there is a Kali temple in the hills, please visit there and do pooja everyday and at the end, sacrifice yourself in the pyre. And the gods of the yagna will save you. and you can pray to Kali in the same way until she comes and gives you a boon. The king did the same, and Kali was very happy and appeared in front of him asking him what he wanted. The king says "I want crores of money,everyday". In reply kali says " if you give me your body as ahuti (sacrifice to the pyre) you will get it."

Thus the avanti king did the pooja everyday, and distributed the wealth everyday. slowly his fame started spreading to all corners. Vikramaditya also came to know about this.Vikramaditya goes to the same hills and does the same penance, and kali appears and grants a boon...Vikramaditya asks .."Please give the king the money,without the sacrifice that he does everyday" thus hearing the selfless request Kali granted it and also blessed him. And King of Avanti understood the greatness of Vikramaditya.

This shows how, inspite of knowing that king of Avanti was jealous, Vikramaditya helped him.:bowdown

Have you overcome the feeling of jealousy..have you ever felt jealous... how do you react to jealousy...??:coffee.

2. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Nice one Shanthi. You have touched upon all the important aspects pertaining to jealousy in such a nice and lucid way.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I think a fair amount of “competitiveness” is harmless and it need not turn into jealousy. When we co-exist with all the other humans on this earth, comparison becomes unavoidable. Person with better skills gets the job. Person performing better usually gets the promotion etc. As long as we keep it healthy and use it to better ourselves it remains harmless and can actually do us good. The moment we indulge in self-sympathy/pity we turn this healthy self-improvement into harmful (to self mainly) jealousy. Of course, at the end of the day we must know that we will take center stage in some areas of life and someone else will be in the limelight in some other areas. We must have the maturity to accept this reality.
    <o:p></o:p>
    Personally, I rarely, if ever (I will not say never, ‘cos they say “never say never”) feel jealous of someone’s good fortune or the good happenings in their life. First, because I have unshakeable belief in the fact that so far God has given me what I deserved and he will continue do bless me this way always. So, no reason to be concerned. The other reason being, if I really like a particular trait or thing that someone has, I would like to learn myself how to get it. Like you said, learn the ropes from them. If I succeed great, if not, I anyway know that God will give me what I deserve.
    FB longer than the blog itself? I hope not!
    SS

3. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Dear Shanvy,
    You touched upon an important aspect. A sincere appreciation of their achievement is essential as you said. My husband says compare yourself, against yourself. Be better than you were yesterday. You need not be better than others oe less than them.

Dear SS,
    Loved your lines

I have unshakeable belief in the fact that so far God has given me what I deserved and he will continue do bless me this way always. So, no reason to be concerned. The other reason being, if I really like a particular trait or thing that someone has I would like to learn how myself how to get it. Like you said, learn the ropes from them. If I succeed then great, if not, I anyway know that God will give me what I deserve.

It was on the lines of " Do your duty and god will take care of rest." This kind of stubborn belief in god is commendable. We tend to be stubborn about everything else, our ego being no.1 on list.

Replacing jealousy with "learning mentality helps". Big way. As for things which we cannot do like the other person, despite efforts, we can admire and concentrate in what we are good at.

Jealousy develops self-pity or sometimes even inferiority complex. We have to ward off this J factor in our lives.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I had to write this blog, as I have been seeing this happening around me all the time.

I never feel jealous. Veda always tells the kids that never feel jealous of anyone. accept the reason. and learn to start achieving that goal.

yes self-analysis, self betterment will erase jealousy.a little competitive jealousy is fine.

Jealousy when it takes shades of possessiveness and doubts, it hurts a very good relationship.

Thanks for your valuable.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I don't remember in whose biography, I had read the same lines, try to compare with yourself and better your performance.

I too loved SS lines. and I strongly believe, God gives what I deserve than what I desire, as he knows what is good for me and what is right for me.

Widening the horizons and looking at new ways of improving self, keeps J away.

I am scared of envy, that becomes malicious, that they start with dirty rumours to hurting the other person..

Thanks for stepping in dear....

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Recently, my daughter got a gold medal for school topping in science olympiad, her class teacher expressed directly I wished x (x is the daughter of her friend) got the medal instead of you. DD was very upset at the attitude of the teacher.

It shows the immaturity and jealousy of the teacher. though teachers have to rise above it...

7. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shanvy,

I partially agree with you. Sometimes we do compare not because of jealousy but to show them they could also acheive. That too expecially with Kids we do compare because maybe my dd is very intelligent and not putting enough effort to get a better grade - here comparison helps them to boost their confidence and also know where they are lacking.

I agree with you when we start comparing and purchasing things just because our neighbour is having like the butterfly wet grinder advertisement where the lady overhears her neighbour telling her husband to get a three stone one in the evening and this lady pesters her dh to get a diamond earring with 3 stones and lo when she goes to her neighbours house to show it, it happens to be a wet grinder!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shanthi
    A very nice write up. I have a story of myself. I have a cousin who is elder to me but she........oooooooo her mom always want her to wear what I wear the same colour or even exactly the same dress.
    Even if there is some funtcion I use to see her wearing the same colour or design clothes no idea how she use to come to know. And I use to every time get very angry on her. If something is there she use to call and ask what r u wearing and I use to always tell her what I am not wearing but still no idea how she use to come to know and would land up with some thing similar to mine( till today no idea how she use to know)........once with full of angry went and told dad about it and he made me understand dear your choice is good so she likes what you choose, it is not that she want to tease you or something she only wish to be like you so if u don't like u should ignore and appreciate that someone wants to be like you.
    You have put up so nicely that one has to feel happy of another persons performance then feeling jealous and try to compete with them. Jealousy is a type of disease which has to be removed and thrown out then keeping into one self and making life more miserable

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for stepping in.

Yes comparison, as long as it is positive and does not harm the person who is being compared. Sometimes, as a parent comparison ebbs out of our own expectations??

The ad really takes the honors of suiting the title. what about the paints ad, where the neighbour goes on snubbing by showing of and ultimately the lady has to do something..well in real life, it is irritating to be in the company of a showoff.

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

thanks for dropping in. I have come across people like your cousin. maybe your cousin's mom wanted a daughter like you...(a positive honor to you)

And what a sound point of view from your dad:bowdown. I think after that you yourself would have helped your cousin.

Yes jealousy is a disease, that needs to be cured or it could turn to envy. remember reading
    " The envious die not once, but as often as the envied win applause".