1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Indian Novel

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Cheeniya, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Amica
    peccadilloes!
    When did I hear that word last? Maybe in the late '50s when my Professor condoned a minor romance in the college with this word!

Amica likes this.
  2. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

:lol: I thought you'd like the word.

I first read it in Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves: "I was expecting Pop Bassett to give an impersonation of a bomb falling on an ammunition dump, but he didn’t. Instead, he continued to exhibit that sort of chilly stiffness which you see in magistrates when they’re fining people five quid for boyish peccadilloes."

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

hmmm... Double entendre queen, I just spit out my drink. Please staaaaap. Now.

As in a boyish mistake? You mean everything Arnab is saying about his involvement in SP's death is an exasperating farrago of distortions, misinterpretations and outright lies being broadcast by an unprincipled showman masquerading as a journalst? Haan mere ko bhi wohi lagta hai par yeh exasperating farrago of distortions kya cheez hai? Saala Malayalam mein kabhi kabhar tweet kiya karo_Only then can normal people understand.

4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Double layer of saran wrap, scotch-taped down on my laptop's keyboard, just for such emergencies...

Laks09 likes this.
  5. Laks09

Cheeniya sir - You write so well. If we collate all of your threads, sequence them, make them into chapters, make sure the chapters are interconnected, do you realize we will have an epic on hand? The Great Indus Novel!

I hadn’t made the connection between Mahabharata and Great India until now even though it’s so clear.
    From just reading the blurb you linked here, I loved this part. I haven’t read this book, didn’t even know it existed.
    I will definitely read book 1 and report back. Hope kindle version is available.

Tharoor is actively marketing his latest book(The paradoxical Prime Minister) on his twitter feed and I was planning on reading it. Have you read it yet? Is it good?

I’m hesitant about Tharoor books because I fear I have to read with dictionary.com on the next tab, just like when I read his tweets. I look forward to the Great Indian Novel though. You’ve piqued my interest with this write up and the associated blurb link. Thank You!

6. Cheeniya

@Amica
    Talking of Wodehouse, he was the first to use the word 'gruntled' as an antonym of the world 'disgruntled' in The Code of the Woosters published in 1930s. This is how he used it:
    'I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.'
    What a genius!

Amica likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

@Laks09
    You know Laks, it's 3 p.m. and the First Lady of the House is fast asleep. Otherwise she would have been shocked by the crimson hue of my cheeks caused by this lavish praise!
    Article 1(1) of our Constitution says, “India, that is Bharat, shall be a Union of States.” and Jawaharlal Nehru always made use of this in his speeches. Maha refers to its hugeness. Bharat of the previous Yuga may have been big on many counts but presently, we can claim ourselves to be big on the sheer size of our population!
    Of course it is available. https://www.amazon.com/Great-Indian-Novel-Shashi-Tharoor-ebook/dp/B06XY25RBF

I have not read the Paradoxical Prime Minister yet. I was put off by this review in The Hindu quoted in Wiki:
    Sudheendra Kulkarni in his review of the book on The Hindu wrote: "Tharoor is largely silent on the shortcomings of his own party’s long, and not always praiseworthy, stints in governance. This has greatly contributed to the partisan nature of the book

I am not much of a non-fiction reader. You must read The Great Indian Novel. It is certainly worth the time wasted!

8. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Politicians don't want us to understand what they're saying or doing. It could be hazardous to their health.

Laks09 likes this.
  9. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@Cheeniya, I remember that line and enjoying the word "gruntled"!

We need a thread of favorite Wodehouse quotes. :D

10. Laks09

Seriously! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Amica likes this.