1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big Must Read List

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by PriyaSrini, Aug 12, 2014.

1. helpmeangel

helpmeangel Platinum IL'ite

Great thread as usual Priya!

I see that am late to the party and many of my favorites have been listed before.. would love to keep a growing list and keep adding on to it as and when I read a new title.

Here are a few books for starters..these are written in no particular order.

1. Fountainhead by Ayn Rand [I love anything by Ayn Rand]
    2. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand [Hence this title]
    3. We the living by Ayn Rand [And this too]
    4. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte [Love this book for the romance and Heathcliff]
    5. Five point someone by Chetan Bhagat [Was a very good first attempt by an Indian author]
    6. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho [The debut book introduced me to the series which were a wonderful read]
    7. Angels and Demons by Dan Brown [This is the best book in his series]
    8. The other Boleyn girl by Philippa Gregory [I was attracted to Historical romance and period pieces after this book..hence has a close place in my heart]
    9. Bourne series by Robert Ludlum [Pretty extensive and nice]
    10. Rage of angels by Sidney Sheldon [The best out of Sheldon's books,IMO]

Some other good books to mention were,

1. The fourth protocol by Frederick Forsyth [Loved the conspiracy in this book]
    2. IT by Stephen King [A great book for horror fans]
    3. From the corner of His eye by Dean Koontz [This is a good thriller too]
    4. Pride and prejudice by Jane Austen[An evergreen classic]
    5. Alice in wonderland by Lewis Carroll [Makes me remember my childhood and hence would want it on my list]
    6. The book of Russian folk tales [can't remember who compiled it, but was a great read anytime]
    7. Mill on the Floss by George Eliot [Again, a great classic IMO]

Will try to modify my list soon..some of the titles above are written in a nostalgic manner and would need re-visiting.

3 people like this.
  2. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

Here is my list and thanks everyone as I am adding books to my "to read" pile from people's list.

In no particular order

Left Neglected by Lisa Ginova
    Mao's last dance by Li Cunxin
    Forgotten by Catherine Mckenzie
    Earth without ends by Ken Follet
    Still Alice by Lisa Ginova
    The Immortel life of Henrietta by Rebecca Skloot
    Gone girl by Gillian Flynn
    Secret daughter by Shilpi Gowda
    A walk across the sun by Corban Addison
    Da Vinci code by Dan Brown

1 person likes this.
  3. LotusAura

LotusAura Gold IL'ite

You said it. A true blue bookaholic indeed :)
    My list is incomplete too...there are so many must-reads that I keep going back to, for various reasons. Too many of them.
    For example, the entire first chapter of While Fang (Jack London) is so riveting that I may have read it several times over after finishing the book. Similarly, the opening passage of A Tale of Two Cities is one of the best written in my opinion. The black humour of Catch 22 is side splitting, though the book gives a poignant kick intermittently. Similarly, I'm so in love with Mr. Darcy that I've read numerous P&P me-too's! (My favourite being Slightly Dangerous by Mary Balogh; a good version of the old classic).

I still prefer classics anyday, but have not restricted myself to them.

Going further back in time, I'd make a special mention of:
    TinTin (I have ALL of them, plus the additional TinTin film book Lake of Sharks)
    Sherlock Holmes (especially the Hound of Baskervilles besides the short stories)
    Short stories by O Henry & Saki
    Amar Chitra Katha
    Jeffrey Archer books
    All of Nancy Drew & most of Hardy Boys (junior school days of course, but loved them)
    All of Enid Blyton (junior school days, but still much loved)

I will keep adding.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

[​IMG] Originally Posted by Aria [​IMG]

1. The curious incident of a dog in the night time Mark Haddon

When someone mentioned you have to watch it, you must watch the play, I was piqued, what is it all about, then I watched the trailer of the play, by that time I was curious to find out what is this hullabaloo all about, I downloaded the same day and read.

I heard the play adaptation is superior than the book , Trailer

One of the most beautiful, dazzling and spectacular reads of this year!

5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If you love Mr Darcy, then you must read North & South by Elizabeth Gaskell. Better yet watch the BBC TV adaptation with Richard Armitage and Daniela Denby-Ashe. In this rare case the series is better than the book. To be fair, Elizabeth Gaskell had more practical compulsions that forced her to end the book sooner than she wanted. But Gaskell's Mr Thornton is a much more brooding, angry, yet real version of Mr Darcy. Once you see Richard Armitage's enactment of him, you might find Mr Darcy slipping from that 'most beloved' status! :) (Disregard if you've already read it.)

6. LotusAura

LotusAura Gold IL'ite

Thank you! Will lay my hands on a copy as soon as I possibly can..can't get enough of the brooding snobs :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Not sure where you're located but Netflix has it on 'watch it now'.

2 people like this.
  8. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the suggestion, Gauri. Mr Darcy is one of most favourites too! North & South by Elizabeth Gaskell added to my To-read list. (My to-read list grows with this thread :))

1 person likes this.
  9. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Hello everyone. I am also a bookworm. Nothing like a book to escape from this world.
    My fav are -

1. The clifton series by Jeffrey Archer - Presently I am reading the third book in the series. Great read. Anyway Jeffrey Archer is one of my fav authors.
    2. Any of Sheldon books - He also happens to be my fav authors - Presently I have downloaded the kindle version of Memories of midnight - waiting to start reading it.
    3. Any of Fredrick Forsyth - U guessed it - he is also my fav author - My all time fav is 'The day of the Jackal' - I can read this book any no. of times.
    4. Dan Brown - I have read only two books of his - I can't remember it - It takes quite a few no. of pages to get hooked to his books and then it is un-putt-downable.
    5. John Grisham - My fav is 'the client', 'the king of torts' - In fact all his books are great.
    6. Paulo Coehelo - I am yet to start reading the 'Alchemist', which i have downloaed - great reviews for the book - let me c how it turns out to be
    7. The complete works of Vivekananda - Read this book - it gives purpose in your life, calms you down
    8. Chetan Bhagat - I have seen 'three idiots' and 'the two states'. I liked it. So i have downloaded the kindle version of 'One night at a call centre'.
    9. Sudha Murthy - I admire this lady a lot. I liked the review of 'The day i stopped drinking milk' - I am yet to read it

1 person likes this.
  10. helpmeangel

helpmeangel Platinum IL'ite

Gauri,

This was on my watch list on NetFlix..unfortunately had to return to India and couldn't watch it..hope to see it someday!!

1 person likes this.