1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Good The Bad The Ugly

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

As I get older one of the things I find difficult to explain is the need to be consistent with principles and moral values. In our school we have what is called the parent teacher conference wherein the parent if unlucky will hear all the trouble their kid is in. This year though I did not attend, my other parent friends' called me right after to tell that in general the morals and values of children were not what it used to be. To say I was shocked is putting it mildly. That I cannot repeat the subject matter her e is proof enough of how some kids do behave with less principles, lesser ethics and least values. Some basic principles have been outlined for students so as to have a set of moral framework to refer to:
    Non-malificence: Do not harm yourself or other people.
    Beneficence: Help yourself and other people.
    Autonomy: Allow rational individuals to make free and informed choices.
    Justice: Treat people fairly: treat equals equally, unequals unequally.
    Utility: Maximize the ratio of benefits to harms for all people.
    Fidelity: Keep your promises and agreements
    Honesty: Do not lie, defraud, deceive or mislead.
    Privacy: Respect personal privacy and confidentiality
    It was suggested that when faced with an ethical dilemma , after gathering relevant info and exploring different options a balanced decision could then be made in relation to these principles. Which set me wondering as to who would be referring to these principles in the first place. Take for example the first one which is not to harm oneself and others. But either kids or adults do harm others even when they engage in malicious gossip. Though we read and are aware of all of this, does it prevent us from being involved. Mostly a decision to concur with principles is taken at the spur of the moment. While talking, we decide whether to gossip or not. For someone who refrains from gossip this is not an issue as they will not put themselves in that situation to begin with. But even if we know not to gossip do we refrain. ? I am also very sure
    upbringing plays a very important role here. We are truly shaped by what we are taught growing up and our surroundings helped further cement these values. Dont you agree?

sindmani likes this.

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Clint Eastwood, here i come!! Yes AC even i am appalled by what is happening to kids here in school these days. I think it all comes down to how much discipline is enforced in schools. Yes , i have my nieces and nephews all learning the bad language and using it too , and showing atitue to the teachers. Where is the respect??
    My sons school is a little better in this respect. pretty strict and disciplinarian.
    Well Gossip, I don't even want to start!! then i will be party to what you have written so well.

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Vandhana sweetie
    I am not talking about discipline. Has got to the boys and girls and they are only 12-14 yrs old. That I am shocked and speechless because of it is an understatement. Maybe this is more prevalent than I thought!! Obviously I know nothing..