1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The GIFT of the ....Mindis????

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

I am sure most of you have read "The gift of the Magi" by O’Henry. It is certainly one of my favourites. For those of you who do not know the story, here is the synopsis:

Jim and Della are a poor but very loving couple, and on the lookout for a Christmas gift for each other on Christmas Eve. Jim buys her a set of combs with tortoise shells and jewels for her lovely knee length hair by selling his most prized possession, his ancestor's pocket watch, while Della buys him a lovely chain for that watch with the money she gets by chopping off her lovely tresses. Though they cannot use the gifts they have received, they are very happy with their love for each other.

I always wondered whether such love really existed and was gratified that it really does.
    Okay, sometimes :)…….Read on....

We had been on a holiday to Thailand and returned early Tuesday morning at around 3am. Being so used to a sedentary lifestyle, the little sports activities that we indulged ourselves in, gave me a very sore back that hurt like hell each time I walked, or even stood up. My hubby had to be off to work the next morning, as he had a series of meetings lined up for the day, so asking me to get up late, he had his breakfast outside and left for work. Though he offered to get me packed food I said I would make do with milk and cereal.

Now once I wake up, usually there is no stopping me. In spite of the nagging pain, within a matter of hours I set about my chores and finished the unpacking, did the laundry, vacuumed the house and then thought that I would whip up a great meal. Except for the few authentic Thai meals that we had, we were not very happy with the food and our taste buds were craving for their usual fare.

So all the while wishing that he too was home for lunch, I took the pains to make a full meal, deciding that he could have it for dinner anyway. And just as I was sitting down for my rather late lunch at 2 pm, thoroughly exhausted, our driver rang the doorbell and handed me a packed lunch saying that my hubby had sent it for me.

I was quite touched, as I had not expected him to remember my backache at all, given his sleep deprived state and busy schedule for the day. In the evening, he was stunned with the lavish spread that I had whipped up, despite not keeping very well. And while I sat in front of the idiot box, he even got me a hot water bag.

Wowwww! All was so hunk dory at the Mindis and the air SO filled with love that I couldn’t help but remember O Henry's short story once again. Only thing missing was the mistletoe and I made a quick mental note to get that remedied.:wink:

But you know why the Henrys and Tolstoys of the world have you going ‘Awwww’ and reaching out for those tissues every time? That's because they stop with just one incident. But tell me friends, isn’t life a serieeeee......s of incidents?

And so, basking in the special glow that comes with unexpected pampering, I tried pushing my luck further. This morning, I sleepily asked him to make the tea, and he answered even more sleepily "Noooo....you know you make the BEST tea in the whole world"

"Okayyyy, the moment has passed. It ain’t happening again" I told myself as I woke up with a start and the song “just another day in paradise" playing in my mind.

We were back to being "The Mindis":):cheers

sindmani, mathu903, Kamla and 24 others like this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Mindi,

you know we are a breed of people who cannot just lie and relax for a day. if you were to wait and do the lavish spread the next day maybe the tea would have come and you would have gone in search of that mistletoe again.

We the V's don't go to O'Henry's for inspiration we take local inspiration of the two thirsty deers, the story must be familiar to you..

Some moments just happen to be cherished, if they were to happen everyday, you will not be blogging about it here..

1 person likes this.
  3. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindz,
    All good things come to an end - that is what happens generally.
    BUT
    you did have a "Spill over" of the honeymoon period, holidaying in Thailand, after you came back home!! Thank God for that kutti pleasure!!
    After such pleasurable holidays, (every time), we resolve, no more to fight, no more to argue blah blah with the Master, but only serve him!!
    Home being home, once we are back, we are back to our normal selves!!
    Only that is healthy !!

3 people like this.
  5. EverHappy

EverHappy Platinum IL'ite

Aaaaaaaaaaww..

That's so cute.. Like Shanvy said, special thigns won't be special if they happen everyday :)

Hope you had a good holiday

6. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindis

That was a wonderful post my dear. Good K did not make tea for you..haha or we wouldn't have got to read this from you. It is nice to read your article after a long time. I was wondering where were you, So m'am was in Thailand ehh...
    It is better we make things at home or they will start thinking we are the bosses of the house too.[​IMG]

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

How very cute Mindi!! you did make me go "awwww...." today! These things special moments do happen and we learn to cherish them and they serve as reminders when we are going through a 'fight/anger period'!

So how was your trip to Thailand? having seen the food there, I can only imagine your need to want to prepare a proper meal (in your case a lavish one, in mine...rice and rasam) inspite of the back pain and add to that the fact that your hubby dear has not had your lovely breakfast! I don't blame you! And your DH - that is so sweet of him! Who ever said "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach" should rethink for a way to a woman's heart can also be through the of food even if it is bought - for we can read the thoughtfulness behind it very easily!

Yes, Mindi life is a serieeee......s of such incidents only with a serieeee.....s of little gaps :) enjoy them! and thank you for sharing here, it made such a wonderful read.

2 people like this.
  8. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mindi......
    That is an awe some piece of cute togetherness......:thumbsup
    could imagine you smiling with surprise.....cooking with your head high and humming your favi songs......:coffee
    Loved it dear....made me mushy mushy......and...."just another day for you"...the song i tried to sing while in college....awe some number it is.......a special "thanks" for that ...
    Your post is really a Gift ........:thumbsup:thumbsup

2 people like this.
  9. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Hey mindi,

Enjoyed each and every piece above.Your DH don't want to make you lazy and that's why your luck stopped there :) again it comes back to you when you return from your next holiday ;) HAHA..

10. iyerponnu

iyerponnu Gold IL'ite

Hey Mindi,

This is really an 'awwwwwwwwwww' post!! It is so hart warming to see that your husband sent you a 'packed lunch' from work ;).. Though mine wont do that, he will cook a bowl of noodles and give it to me.. though it is not the same, it is the thought that counts eh ;) And if we are at work, he will make sure that we picked up something on the way to work.. and most important he will call me to find out if I have eaten :p

These small things actually do make a lot of difference :thumbsup

Mythili

1 person likes this.